Anyone actually ever try to build this?

I remember seeing ads in magazines for this all the time when I was a kid (late 70s). Did anyone actually order the plans and try to build it?:D
06B7FABD-CE30-4BB7-BACE-C9E6D6C28390.jpeg

Haha, love seeing this again. My dad's an astrophysicist (now retired). When he told me it couldn't possibly generate enough lift, I believed him and didn't give it a second thought. Interesting though, the design is very similar to the ubiquitous quadcopter drone. Maybe Dad was wrong??!

@aquariuscsm - I built a hovercraft for my 8th grade science project. I used a sheet of plywood, an old shopvac, some wood (2"x4"), fasteners, and a sheet of industrial plastic. It was the "star of the show" in our small school, and I gave many test rides. It even lifted our heaviest teacher (300+). I ended up not even placing, as our small school was EXTREMELY political, and the I was not "in". My parents might still have pics...that was wow...1992 or 1993 I guess.

I remember seeing ads in magazines for this all the time when I was a kid (late 70s). Did anyone actually order the plans and try to build it?:D
View attachment 130652
Oh man those were the days. I remember ads for kits to assemble various lasers, hovercrafts, all sorts of fun stuff. I seem to remember a lot of these types of ads in the back of Popular Science/Mechanics and some sporting mags, etc.

Bad idea.
Not only is the craft's performance wholy dependant on the floor's surface, you gotta steal your Mom's/wife's cake pans to make the feet.
Looks to me like the vacuum motor would make the thing just stick to the floor....like assisted suction cups. (kidding)

The "star of the show" levitates the 300 pound teacher and doesn't even place?
I'd love to hear more about this small town....sounds real friendly.

"Lifts 200 lbs."

Wearing my birthday suit and holding a few dozen helium-filled party balloons I may be able to hover around the house during the warm season. I can imagine that but I don't want to. My cats may enjoy using this conveyance.

The "star of the show" levitates the 300 pound teacher and doesn't even place?
I'd love to hear more about this small town....sounds real friendly.

I had only moved to town from Tennessee the year before. I was not wealthy, and my family was not known in the community. If I remember correctly it was a group of parents or PTA members that were the judges. It is an EXTREMELY "clicky" town.

I had only moved to town from Tennessee the year before. I was not wealthy, and my family was not known in the community. If I remember correctly it was a group of parents or PTA members that were the judges. It is an EXTREMELY "clicky" town.
The reason why I hate small towns.

so how did they get away with such patently false advertising?

I guess they can always say you didn't follow the plans properly.

Back