“Tailgating” into high rise buildings

I’m staying at an Air B&B located in a high rise building in Calgary this weekend. I was waiting for family members in the lobby when some guy tried to buzz a tenant. Another person came along and buzzed the door and walked in. The first guy grabbed the door before it closed and “tailgated” in. I wonder if I witnessed a security transgression. The security guy was not at his both. Any advise or thoughts?

That's iffy....I feel like it is a security issue (we've had randos pass the lobby security desk without scanning at work) but on the flip side, if they live there and you say something they can be combative.

You can mention it to the security guard but try not to draw attention to yourself.

When I worked at Merck a guy tailgated into the campus because he forgot his badge. The next day when he tried to access the campus, his badge didn't work. Security deactivated it and made him jump through a lot of hoops to get it activated again.

What you witnessed was a security breach. How serious that is, is unknown. 99% chance the tailgater had legitimate non-criminal reason to access the building.

Back