Beer: Bottles or cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Glencairn glasses for all my spirits. The tulip shape performs the same function as the snifter, concentrating the aromas to enhance the flavor experience. I wash them by hand and then rinse with water from the R/O spigot. That might be a little over the top, but they never have residual smells that way. My favorite beer glasses look like larger versions of the Glencairn glasses. They are sort of like snifters except tulip shaped. One has the Duvel name on it and the other has Hoegaarden. Both are nicely aromatic Belgian beers.

Here is a picture:

DuvelTulipGlass.jpg

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I use Glencairn glasses for all my spirits. The tulip shape performs the same function as the snifter, concentrating the aromas to enhance the flavor experience. I wash them by hand and then rinse with water from the R/O spigot. That might be a little over the top, but they never have residual smells that way. My favorite beer glasses look like larger versions of the Glencairn glasses. They are sort of like snifters except tulip shaped. One has the Duvel name on it and the other has Hoegaarden. Both are nicely aromatic Belgian beers.

Here is a picture:

DuvelTulipGlass.jpg

Now that's a beautiful glass worthy of the finest brews. That is the glass type I want.

On another note, it seems the real advantage of canned beer apposed to bottled is weight savings and more units per pallet for the manufacturers to ship their goods. If that's what it takes to keep operation costs down, and not have to move manufacturing across the border / overseas then all is good. It's sounding like there probably is not any taste difference between glass, and lined aluminum containers after all.

I got the Duvel glass as part of a gift pack along with Duvel Ale a few years ago. A friend picked it up in a liquor store during the holiday shopping season. My Hoegaarden glass, which is very similar, came to me all the way from Belgium - I had another friend in the Army who was stationed there for a while.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Since I predominantly drink German beers and the vast majority of them come in 500ml cans

That's because you're forced to obtain your German beers through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, which has a wild fetish for 16.9oz/500mL cans. Few other jurisdictions have this obsession with cans.

You need to get out more. I suggest Premier Gourmet, in Amherst, NY. That single store alone exposes the LCBO for the monopolistic, tyrannical, insular, small-minded, small-time, so-very-Canadian hicks that they are.

LMAO!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm personally not a fan of cans, but once took a brewery tour and the small Brewer did cans only claiming that even Amber glass allows some uv through, affecting the beer. I've not fact checked that, but it was an interesting thing for them to point out, particularly since they took great pains to do all their other steps in time-tested methods.

Just saw this in the L.A. Times:

"Constellation Brands, the company that owns Corona Extra, issued a voluntary recall of select 12-packs and 18-packs of the beer after discovering some of the bottles may contain small particles of glass."

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm personally not a fan of cans, but once took a brewery tour and the small Brewer did cans only claiming that even Amber glass allows some uv through, affecting the beer. I've not fact checked that, but it was an interesting thing for them to point out, particularly since they took great pains to do all their other steps in time-tested methods.

That is correct:

Bottle_Color_Transmisisivity.png

A lot of cheaper beers (Corona, High Life, etc) use clear bottles because they know it will get consumed quickly enough that it won't really get spoiled. Those beers are also supposed to be served very cold which mellows out the flavor and masks any skunking.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Since I predominantly drink German beers and the vast majority of them come in 500ml cans

That's because you're forced to obtain your German beers through the Liquor Control Board of Ontario, which has a wild fetish for 16.9oz/500mL cans. Few other jurisdictions have this obsession with cans.

You need to get out more. I suggest Premier Gourmet, in Amherst, NY. That single store alone exposes the LCBO for the monopolistic, tyrannical, insular, small-minded, small-time, so-very-Canadian hicks that they are.
I agree. We should be able to buy alcohol in grocery stores and corner stores like you can in Alberta. The LCBO needs to go!
And bottles only for me. I also prefer pouring into a glass to drink as well.

Last edited:
I have a small distrust for cans due to the coatings applied to the inside to prevent corrosion. I don't worry about sunlight with the bottles. The truck they're delivered in is enclosed, and so is my fridge. Unless they're on the shelf or stored in poor conditions for a prolonged time, I don't think it matters much either way. There's a good book called 'Rust' that talks about all sorts of corrosion, with an entire section on cans for food/drink.

I have never turned down a good beer in a either container. I do buy bottles when possible, but mostly because I reuse them for hard cider.

Upon talking with a friend, he decided to pick up a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in cans, and a sixer in bottles so we could do a blind folded taste test.

He got the beer Friday after work and put them in his fridge, so they would both be same temperature for Saturday evening.

We used the same style of beverage glass for both beers. I was the first to be tested. I sat with my back to the kitchen area, and a blind fold was placed over my eyes. I could hear the beers being opened and poured, and the empty bottle and can being placed on the counter top directly behind me. Both glasses were put in my hands and it was up to me to say which was which. I drank from the glass on the right then waited a minute to rinse my mouth out with water. A minute later I drank from the left glass. Washed my mouth out with water, and tried the right hand glass again. Then drank from the left again.

My amateur beer palate could not tell a difference between either glass of beer. My friend did the exact same test right after me, and he ended up picking the bottled beer as the winner, saying he could tell a distinct fruitier, and more delicious taste in that glass of beer.

That was my unscientific taste test between bottled and canned beer. Your results may vary.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx [/quote
I agree. We should be able to buy alcohol in grocery stores and corner stores like you can in Alberta. The LCBO needs to go!
And bottles only for me. I also prefer pouring into a glass to drink as well.

Alberta does not sell alcohol in grocery stores, but the liquor stores are privatized.

Been enjoying some quality craft brews in cans: Latitude 33 Blood IPA, Lagunitas 12th of Never, Alesmith IPA, Modern Times Blazing World Ale to name a few.

Friends and family that I enjoyed canned beers with say they wouldn't have known it was beer from a can if I hadn't poured it right in front of them. I am totally cool with canned craft beers. I don't think twice about it anymore.

Pouring beer from a bottle is a smoother process than from a can. Sometimes I have to shake the can a little to get all the beer and foam out. That's super nit picking I suppose, but when you have a delicious beer, you want every last drop of it lol.

Originally Posted By: car51
Real beer comes in bottles. Just my opinion
LOL. Keg beer is as real as it gets. Never seen one made of glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back