Bringing alcohol into Canada

1) Went to Nova Scotia, Canada via ferry with 3 bottles of wine. It was packed as a foodstuff.
2) A coworker gave me $100 to buy "Baby Duck", a Canadian malt beverage. I found her 8 bottles.
3) We didn't drink our wine and bought 3 bottles of wine in Canada.

Upon returning home, the friendly border guard listened to my declaration and asked to see the "Baby Duck". He said he'd have to look up the Canadian product and told us to come in and sit down.
A minute later he walked through with a man in handcuffs and told us her swill was on the house.

"...the thing that would really get me is that I'm already paying various duties on imported liquor, but that's baked into the retail price. So if I had to pay more duties, I would need to bring out a receipt and then pay duties where the base already includes duties. But I'm thinking it wouldn't be based on the sales tax. Of course I could bypass that if I buy..."
Duty on top of duty on top of...
EVERY one wants their piece and thus was merica itself made (a service industry of abuncha middle men). o0OP, too many charicters, pay a duty. Example: add ons and restrictions to new cars (must use specific 'dealers'; parts industry; alcohol in usa; ad infinitum)> And now, w/covid restrictions MSRP goes up, add-ons above that for the pleasure of buying a car tacked on...

I was thinking of the 25% import tariff on Scotch, but that was lifted this year with a temporary suspension followed by a five year agreement. The Scotch whisky industry was apparently hurting really badly since the US was about a third of their sales.

🥃

On second thought, it probably wouldn't be worth it to bring in a bottle of Scotch. My prices aren't necessarily better, and then any duties/levies on top would be pretty bad - especially if I could find the same when I get there. Prices at LCBO stores don't seem as bad as I heard they might be. However, it's not all that clear what kind of taxes might be charged on top of the retail prices.

I bring beer every time I go to Canada. (5 to 6 times/year) Last year I brought a liter of Macallan too. Never had a problem, I just tell them what I have. Actually, I went to the cottage in August for 10 days, told the customs officer I had a 6-pack. He said "Is that really going to last 10 days? Good thing we sell beer here!" lol
I would bring the liquor and then buy the beer there. Beer is more expensive, but the Canadian brands a fantastic when fresh, way better than when you import to USA and it sits in the bonding warehouse forever...

I bring beer every time I go to Canada. (5 to 6 times/year) Last year I brought a liter of Macallan too. Never had a problem, I just tell them what I have. Actually, I went to the cottage in August for 10 days, told the customs officer I had a 6-pack. He said "Is that really going to last 10 days? Good thing we sell beer here!" lol
I would bring the liquor and then buy the beer there. Beer is more expensive, but the Canadian brands a fantastic when fresh, way better than when you import to USA and it sits in the bonding warehouse forever...

I'm thinking of just bringing beer since it would be a local legend (Russian River Brewing) and this small brewery (Fieldwork) close to home. I'm trying to figure out what works under 8.5 liters.

I might also consider bringing something home from duty free if the prices are good at the airport. I know it's a 1 liter limit, but I don't think US duties are that steep.

Back