Beer: Bottles or cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestone Walker brewing only recently started "canning" beer. For your first purchase you should go bottle for the heritage of the make only. The back story is one of the owners went to the beach after a big party and saw all the cans on the ground (no bottles allowed) and said "those should be my cans on the ground!", the rest is history... If you really wanted to impress drive up to Paso and get a growler of 805 or unfiltered DBA, you can't buy it in the store. Can you tell I work just down the street from the brewery?

Bottles,
for the simple reason that cans and plastic bottles are lined with a controversial chemical called BPA which, research on chronic exposure has linked it to high blood pressure and heart rate issues and some studies suggest alzheimer disease to boot,
no brainer.

I'll only drink cans if someone else buys them, otherwise bottles only. I hate drinking out of a can, and will pour into a glass if one is available. Bottles are glass, so that's ok.

I pour my beer into a glass, so I don't really care. There are advantages to cans - light and shelf life.

There's a difference in taste between Canada Dry ginger ale in glass bottles vs plastic bottles. And in cans it's different again.

Going off taste alone, I've always preferred bottles over cans. Although my top choice is draft which comes in a keg... made from aluminum. Explain that one.

OP, bottle. Beer and glass go together.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
My personal preference is a strong ale in a snifter.

I like the sound of that

Directly from the bottle? No thanks.

You may die of thirst if ever you visit Australia.

I've always preferred bottles for outdoor grilling etc., but I pour them into the appropriate shaped glass when I have the chance. Bud Light in a frosty mug is unbeatable IMO.

I have really come to like North Carolina's Oskar Blues "Dale's Pale Ale", but I have only been able to find it in a can. If I pour it in the correct glass, it's delicious.

A local brewery in northern Indiana that my girlfriend and have started to frequent sells their beer in cans and it just isn't as good IMO. I have a 64 ounce growler that I fill whenever we make the drive up there. Much much better IMO. (Their Kölsch is delicious) It's the only way to buy beer in Indiana on Sundays too.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Man those $$ the mega breweries spent sure did pay off. "Buy our swill, it's in a loooong neck bottle(or in the case of Miller, one of 1000 different gimmick bottles they've come up with), ain't nuffin better!!!"

Not one of you guys could reliably tell the difference in a blind test with the beer in a glass. Or red Solo cup in the case of the macro stuff. Do the test and report back.

Originally Posted By: CONMCK
Bottles,
for the simple reason that cans and plastic bottles are lined with a controversial chemical called BPA which, research on chronic exposure has linked it to high blood pressure and heart rate issues and some studies suggest alzheimer disease to boot,
no brainer.

^ +1

I find I'm drinking more cans these days, and they do preserve the contents better than bottles. As for taste, the only direct taste testing I've done is Guinness, with the can winning by a mile with its foaming widget thing. Guinness in a bottle isn't nearly as good.

GemStater said, "Although my top choice is draft which comes in a keg... made from aluminum. Explain that one."

a) You may just be getting FRESH BEER from the taverns you frequent.

b) Funny how no one has ever mentioned if kegs have a lining (deadly or friendly, inert plastic) or not. Kira

It's my understanding that some people can "smell" aluminum. If you're one of them that smell could be affecting the taste of your beer because smell is a large component of taste. If that's the case, you decant into a cup or glass and it's fine.

Canning has actually taken off lately. The stigma once associated with it has pretty much disappeared. A lot of craft beers are can-only.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It's my understanding that some people can "smell" aluminum. If you're one of them that smell could be affecting the taste of your beer because smell is a large component of taste. If that's the case, you decant into a cup or glass and it's fine.

Would you not be pouring the BPA laced beer into the cup/glass??

Only if the can has BPA that leached into the beer. I'm not much of a beer drinker anymore. I used to really be into ales and wheat beers, but now it's exclusively spirits.

On the occasion that I drink beer, I'll only drink from a glass after it's poured from a bottle. There is an entirely different dimension added when you drink from a proper glass. My personal preference is a strong ale in a snifter.

Directly from the bottle? No thanks.

That is really cool to know. I never gave any thought to the glass design I drink beer from. I just did an online search for beer glasses and read up on it. I like the looks of the snifter, and nonic styles. Probably leaning more towards the snifter as it "captures the aromas" of the beer.

Cans or bottles are fine with me.
What I don't like are frosted mugs that smell like chlorine/dishwashing residue. Ruins the beer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back