"Light" Beer in the US vs "Light Beer" in the rest of the world

Originally Posted by Silk
I just think you don't know how to make beer.

Or likely only tried the worst examples our country has to offer, being in New Zealand... To be honest, the US makes the best beer in the world.

Just an example... You can say "But the Germans/Belgians/UK/etc... do it better!"

Relative to German beer... Having enjoyed beer in Munich, Bamberg and all over Bavaria, it sure is phenomenal. German beer is my inspiration as a brewer myself, taking many of the techniques, ingredients and processes to produce beer as good as they do. But I have been to dozens of breweries that can produce beer as good as in Germany. Not talking about comparing to the old, dusty import bottles you find at the local store. But fresh, in the biergartens in Munich... Or sitting in Cologne enjoying Kolsch under the cathedral. Same with Lambics from Belgium, or English Ales from the UK... Don't get me started on the plethora of IPA styles the US is known for (New England IPA's for one). All types of porter/stout, barrel aged beers, fruited sours and all the traditional styles you can think of. We have a LOT of dud breweries as well, but we indeed have the most diverse, incredible beer scene in the world. You just have to be here, drink it local and fresh.

We have some 8,000+ breweries in the US. Don't judge it from the few cheap, macro, mass-produced stuff you likely have access to.

Last edited:
I've only tasted a couple of American beers, a pretty week insipid taste.

There is a big market here for cheap beer - cheap beer is good because it's cheap.

But there are plenty of decent beers made here as well.

Originally Posted by Trav
Owl whiz for wusses, all of it.

lol.gif
cheers3.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I've only tasted a couple of American beers, a pretty week insipid taste. Our light beers are low alcohol and full taste, good to drink for the designated driver. I drink a lot of low carb beer too, and it's full taste, no different than a normal beer. I just think you don't know how to make beer.

About 15 years ago, Sam Adams Light won a medal at a German beer tasting.

There was no light beer category.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I've only tasted a couple of American beers, a pretty week insipid taste. Our light beers are low alcohol and full taste, good to drink for the designated driver. I drink a lot of low carb beer too, and it's full taste, no different than a normal beer. I just think you don't know how to make beer.

About 15 years ago, Sam Adams Light won a medal at a German beer tasting.

There was no light beer category.

Thats the beer i like! Its just not distributed around my area.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Trav
Owl whiz for wusses, all of it.

No value troll post.

It has value ! It makes me laugh!
lol.gif

Back