Battle of the Big Three

Castrol Edge

Mobil 1 "Vanilla"

Pennzoil Platinum
All three meet my engine requirements, but I usually use Pennzoil Platinum. To my ears, my cars seem to run quieter with PP than they do with the others. Whether this quietude is real or just an illusion is not important; quiet engines make me happy. :)

Shell must be pissing it self. With the issues going on with Qatar on a political plain and all. I think the numbers are conservative, I agree that it is north of 19 billion for sure. "Stranded" How can it be stranded? All hail Shell for saving the stranded natural gas.

All three meet my engine requirements, but I usually use Pennzoil Platinum. To my ears, my cars seem to run quieter with PP than they do with the others. Whether this quietude is real or just an illusion is not important; quiet engines make me happy. :)

Same here on my engine, PP of all the oils I have tried made my engine noticeable quieter. This is probably just a placebo effect but PP 5w-30 is a very thin 30 weight oil so that could have be a small reason. But again, probably just my imagination.

Shell must be pissing it self. With the issues going on with Qatar on a political plain and all. I think the numbers are conservative, I agree that it is north of 19 billion for sure. "Stranded" How can it be stranded? All hail Shell for saving the stranded natural gas.
Basically if they have the knowledge and resources to do LNG … they can do GTL … Sasol on/off with Louisiana plans … Probably a half dozen have enough patents …
I’m hoping an ultra clean diesel can keep ICE on the road a few years longer …

Pennzoil Platinum is my go to oil. 11 excellent UOAs on my last four vehicles proved to me it's a winner. Grand Cherokee 4.0, Subaru Forester, MAZDA 7 Turbo and now a MAZDA CX5. I like data and not guesses. Ed

Pennzoil Platinum is my go to oil. 11 excellent UOAs on my last four vehicles proved to me it's a winner. Grand Cherokee 4.0, Subaru Forester, MAZDA 7 Turbo and now a MAZDA CX5. I like data and not guesses. Ed
What were the other eleven ?

Mobil 1 would be my go-to full synthetic choice of the big three. No reason other than tradition.

I had the best UOAs using dino!

Wait, I've never done a uoa ... but the cars made to 400K+ and 300K+ and 200K+ miles using dino. Granted I don't race or abuse the cars and changed the oil frequently.

Btw, my wife thinks her car sound quiet with PP so it's been getting mostly that plus M1 EP. Trying Magnatec in there next oil change. It has a pretty good Noack for the price!

Reactions: 4WD
I had the best UOAs using dino!

Wait, I've never done a uoa ... but the cars made to 400K+ and 300K+ and 200K+ miles using dino. Granted I don't race or abuse the cars and changed the oil frequently.

Btw, my wife thinks her car sound quiet with PP so it's been getting mostly that plus M1 EP. Trying Magnatec in there next oil change. It has a pretty good Noack for the price!

Absent special needs I agree with the AAA Taxi Cab Study. 6,000 Conventional.and 12,000 mi Synthetic with blueprinted engines and dimensions measured before and after160,000 mi showed no difference in wear. I will state the number of vehicles using synthetic was to limited to actually be statistically significant.

I would hazard a guess that stripping of boundary layers with new oil is exaggerated by more aggressive add packs commonly seen in Synthetics and if you drain them at the same interval that initial spike will show more metals so the numbers will look better with conventional. Synthetics are not worse it's just a case of misapplication of the tool. I have seen other studies that show lower wear with synthetics but only when they used extended drains. As drains were shortened they did not perform as well.

A lot of the answers here indicate that in spite of BITOG, many people still make oil choices based on emotional reasons. Pre BITOG, I remember being influenced by marketing such as "the oil chosen by more mechanics" or "designed for today's high revving 4 cylinder engines". The importance of marketing probably outweighs science, facts, and other elements.

A lot of the answers here indicate that in spite of BITOG, many people still make oil choices based on emotional reasons. Pre BITOG, I remember being influenced by marketing such as "the oil chosen by more mechanics" or "designed for today's high revving 4 cylinder engines". The importance of marketing probably outweighs science, facts, and other elements.

I’m not sure why you say “in spite of BITOG,” because the only semi-concrete thing to come out of this forum is that Modern oils that meet specs are same/Same. It’s not like this forum is providing groundbreaking research or technical discussion. It actually makes “feelings” the only real relevant factor for choosing an oil.

Back