Barely made 1600+ mile car delivery when 40 miles from the end, it starts running like crap.

This happened 2 weeks ago and I needed almost that long to recover from the trip. I sold my 2001 Honda Insight to someone out in Texas and agreed to take it out to him for an extra $700. With gas, motel and return airfare my expenses were $450 so making an extra $250 for 3 days driving while seeing the county seemed like an ok deal just to make sure it made it there and didn't break down on HIM, as he was planning to drive it back. Anyway, day one I go 1000 miles with about 17 hours of driving. Going 65-70 mph the car runs great and I make it to Jackson MS. Day 2 only have to go 600 miles and make it to Victoria TX, about 80 miles from the buyers house, with the car still running great. Flight leaves at noon the next day so plenty of time to get there and make it to the airport.

In the morning I leave the hotel at 8:30. Drive 40 miles and turn off the highway onto the state road for the last leg. Stop for a bathroom break as there is nothing between here and the buyer’s house. Head back out and the car starts bucking and missing. Feels a little better if I let my foot off the gas, but even on this flat road, I can barely do 35 or 40. There are a few minutes where this seems to go away and I get it up to 55, but most of the time I’m limping along on the shoulder of this 2 lane in the middle of nowhere. I pull over a few times to let it cool and maybe it helps, and to check under the hood, but find nothing obvious. Thinking of calling a tow, but that could take hours out here and I would miss my flight. Plus how would it look delivering the car on a tow truck? So I get back on the road, driving at 35 mph on the shoulder most of the way and glad there are so few other cars on this road.

Finally make it there around 10:30 am. I already called him from the road letting him know there is a problem, most likely the fuel pump going out. I tell him I’ll gladly drop the price. He takes it for a test drive, and miraculously, it seems to run fine now for the 5 miles he drives it. That almost never happens. We agree on a $500 price cut and I’m relieved I don’t have to drive 1600 miles back with it. He drives me to the airport in his Civic Type R and I make the flight in time.

Next day he messages me that he’s been driving it around town with no issue. A few days later he says he drove it to work and back 40 miles each way with no issue either, but the next day on the way home, it started acting up again. Haven’t heard back since then. So is my fuel pump theory logical? Had a scan tool with me, and besides misfire codes, the only other code was for a lean condition, i.e. engine not getting enough fuel. This goes to show you that unexpected things can happen when buying (or selling) even well maintained cars.

My guess is bad gas-just took awhile to start sucking up the bad stuff from the bottom. Guessing it was running a little low when it happened? I bet a nice shot of Techron & Top Tier gas would have fixed it. A fuel filter (if it was accessible) would be good idea too.

Oh man, breaking down here near or in the Rio Grande Valley is no bueno! I haven't been down that way in a long time, but I remember there being absolutely nothing once you get south of Victoria.

Reminds me of my ill fated trip to Dallas a couple summers ago to (attempt) to pick up a rust free ‘99 Ram 2500 with my ‘06 Ram 3500 & car trailer-shifter detent on the 48RE failed in Texarkana at the hotel, stuck in Park! No possible way to move it! Thank god a local transmission shop was able to fix it the next day or it would have been a nightmare to get it and the trailer back home.

My guess is bad gas-just took awhile to start sucking up the bad stuff from the bottom. Guessing it was running a little low when it happened? I bet a nice shot of Techron & Top Tier gas would have fixed it. A fuel filter (if it was accessible) would be good idea too.
Does varnish float to the top? Or does this have a floating pickup? I thought most pumps had a fixed pick near the bottom.

Thinking bad gas, happened to me in my Silverado, same symptoms, drained as much gas as possible and threw 2 cans of Berryman B12 into the tank and she's been running great ever since. ;)

Back