Bad gas/wrong octane - wow

You've clearly never driven an MZ V6 Toyota (my Camry)
I'm back on the 93 now that prices are on the way down, and it still pings slightly under certain conditions
But on 87 it sounds like angry marbles pulling away from every red light
And I could feel where it was down on power, and pulling timing
10.8:1 compression, what're ya gonna do 🤷‍♂️
Also literally no one else but me puts 93 in their MZ V6, like the owners manual recommends you do
There's clearly something wrong with your Camry V6. I have owned and know tons of folks with many gen's of Toyota/Lexus V6(1MZ, 3MZ, 2GR etc.) that have no detonation issues on 87 octane. You may need knock sensors??? I believe that you have had a timing issue since you have first noticed this. Not that Toyota can't get it wrong now & again and maybe you have one.

There's clearly something wrong with your Camry V6. I have owned and know tons of folks with many gen's of Toyota/Lexus V6(1MZ, 3MZ, 2GR etc.) that have no detonation issues on 87 octane. You may need knock sensors??? I believe that you have had a timing issue since you have first noticed this. Not that Toyota can't get it wrong now & again and maybe you have one.
I agree, I've never heard of timing issues/knock with he Toyota V6's, I own one nd it's by far the best running engine I've ever owned. It doesn't care what 87 octane fuel I put in it...doesn't need top tier or anything. It just starts up everyday and runs perfectly. Now I've had a Lexus V8 that did suffer occasionally from knock and when it did, it was noticeable.

Ignition timing can be adjusted by the computer but static compression ratios cannot, at least not yet. Whether deliberately or accidentally, using a fuel grade too low for the engine's compression will likely cause preignition that simply cannot be remedied by pulling ignition timing. This preignition will be more pronounced at larger throttle positions as this allows more air (and ultimately compression) into the cylinders. Engines that allow use of a lower grade of fuel *generally* have lower static compression ratios and/or milder cam profiles that are more tolerant of lower grade fuels. If any of this is incorrect, feel free to school me... I put the flame suit on and I'm still teachable.

I assume it has hypereutectic instead of forged slugs. And yeah, they don't like being rattled.
Cast hypereutectic yeah… and the top ring land is pretty thin. Left piston is a Mahle piston for the 6.4, pic from Motortrend
2DC80EA8-2C99-4F87-996B-2CD6557FDDAC.jpeg

It really depends on the tune. Some of the Toyota/Lexus V6 engines are tuned for 91; the older ES350 come to mind.

It is entirely possible for the same engine (mechanically) to have very different octane requirements depending on the application's tune.

It sucks that happened to you. Once it happens to you, it will always be in the back of your mind when you fill up, for me anyway lol 👽. Locally I know which spots to go to and which ones to avoid. On a road trip it can be a bit difficult. I always go to large travel center/truck stops like Pilot/Flying J, Loves, TA, etc just for the reassurance that it’s a large fuel retailer.

Ha! When I was a kid they opened a Sheetz near the house and were selling gas for $0.89 or something ridiculous. The old man was thrilled filling up his old Plymouth Acclaim with such cheap gas. The car never ran so bad as it did on that tank of gas! Who knew what was in the gas to make a 2.5 TBI car run so bad.

I knew someone who drive a tanker for Sheetz. He got fuel from the same tank farm on Pickett Rd in Fairfax as every other gas station around here.

My wife and I have been using mosty 87, occasionally 89 in the MB, in our cars since the prices started rising. We both are easy drivers and I have not heard any pinging in my MB. Not sure my wife would know if the Audi pinged.

Bad gas happens sometimes. (Talking about refueling cars here.) Ran into this problem with our 06 Honda Odyssey recently while on a trip to Wisconsin. No pinging, but mild occasional hiccups when idling at stop for nearly two tankfuls of gas (and added couple bottles of methanol and Isopropyl). Must have got water in the fuel at that gas station just outside of Madison WI. The price was 20 cents cheaper per gallon so it was hard to pass up. It was a no-name gas station affiliated with an Asian food market and restaurant, so i‘m guessing gasoline quality was not necessarily their business priority. All is fine now.

Our FJ rattles on 87. I can hear it. Premium is recommended for it.
??interesting??
I've owned my 07 FJ for 14 yrs and have run nothing but 87 octane. It has 221k miles now. It has always gotten 20mpg driving locally. It has never rattled or pinged, thrown a code, burned or leaked oil, or been in a repair shop for anything. I'm a DIYer. Great vehicle.

I have a couple of cars that ping lightly on 93 and have noticeable dips in power on 89. I drive them like rentals, so I don't think it's due to carbon build up. One is a VQ35DE RevUp and one is a Nissan 5.0 V8 w/ VVEL. Both are reasonably well managed engines, but they are always on the edge of detonation.

@OVERKILL

How did you draw conclusions from ONE sample is beyond me.

Just for the sake of experiment, I’d run the tank near dry of your everyday octane and refill 3-4 gallons of 87 and try again. Could have been crappy fuel and nothing more.

I can’t imagine it pinging THAT BADLY.

Do more back to back testing to confirm. Inquiring minds want to know.

@OVERKILL

How did you draw conclusions from ONE sample is beyond me.

Just for the sake of experiment, I’d run the tank near dry of your everyday octane and refill 3-4 gallons of 87 and try again. Could have been crappy fuel and nothing more.

I can’t imagine it pinging THAT BADLY.

Do more back to back testing to confirm. Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, I'm going to go out and willfully risk lifting a ring land in the engine of a $94,000 vehicle for your amusement. I'll get right on that. Would you like me to load my .308 and then check for barrel obstructions while I'm at it?

I've experienced pinging this bad before when my buddy's dad put 87 in his S10 after it had been tuned on 94.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume your don't have much in the way of hot rodding experience, am I right?

Most modern VWs are rated for 87 but run and drive better on premium so it’s a thing. No pings though.

Like Greg ours only get top tier premium no regrets.

My wife and I have been using mosty 87, occasionally 89 in the MB, in our cars since the prices started rising. We both are easy drivers and I have not heard any pinging in my MB. Not sure my wife would know if the Audi pinged.

Your cars but that sounds like false economy to me.

My Trooper pings on 87. Very distinct sound, like dropping marbles on a baking sheet. I think it may have something to do with the EGR being absent.

It doesn't ping with E15 88 or 89+.

Back