2018 CR-V, Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, 4502 miles

Very interesting report! My wife has a 2022 CRV 1.5T and while I haven't sent in a sample for it yet myself, your report helps confirm my theory on OCI's for these little motors. I change at 4k miles with any brand full syn and an orange can because the fuel dilution is just so bad on these engines. We've had other DI motors and I've never had one that smells so strongly of fuel on the dipstick or oil.

These things take so little oil anyway that it's not expensive to just replace early and often anyway.

Very interesting report! My wife has a 2022 CRV 1.5T and while I haven't sent in a sample for it yet myself, your report helps confirm my theory on OCI's for these little motors. I change at 4k miles with any brand full syn and an orange can because the fuel dilution is just so bad on these engines. We've had other DI motors and I've never had one that smells so strongly of fuel on the dipstick or oil.

These things take so little oil anyway that it's not expensive to just replace early and often anyway.
Make sure she runs premium as well. I suggest 0W-30.

Last edited:
Make she runs premium as well. I suggest 0W-30.

We do still use 87 octane, but we're in Colorado where that's midgrade. I did run 91 octane for a few cycles and honestly couldn't notice much of a difference and up here anyway the price difference is big enough to be annoying lol. We do have ethanol free options so I do wonder about that...

We do still use 87 octane, but we're in Colorado where that's midgrade. I did run 91 octane for a few cycles and honestly couldn't notice much of a difference and up here anyway the price difference is big enough to be annoying lol. We do have ethanol free options so I do wonder about that...
You better watch the fuel big time. Especially on hills with turbo......knock detect will go super rich very rapidly.

You may not "feel" much difference, and that I suppose is the fuel management trim doing the job, but you don't feel the fuel going into the crankcase.

You better watch the fuel big time. Especially on hills with turbo......knock detect will go super rich very rapidly.

You may not "feel" much difference, and that I suppose is the fuel management trim doing the job, but you don't feel the fuel going into the crankcase.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this motor requires 87 octane (min), not premium 91/93?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this motor requires 87 octane (min), not premium 91/93?
Define "requires". Sure, that's what Honda will tell you.

No one really wants to address WHY this engine fuel dilutes so badly.

It's pretty simple, the effective full boost CR is sky high. If the engine knock sensors (they are quite keen) detect even the slightest knock, fuel enrichment becomes fairly aggressive. Running higher AKI fuel, can help (still not perfect)

Last edited:
Define "requires". Sure, that's what Honda will tell you.

No one really wants to address WHY this engine fuel dilutes so badly.

It's pretty simple, the effective full boost CR is sky high. If the engine knock sensors (they are quite keen) detect even the slightest knock, fuel enrichment becomes fairly aggressive. Running higher AKI fuel, can help (still not perfect)

Honda says 87 octane or higher. There are lots of other 1.4/1.5 TGDI engines with similar power output that don’t have this dilution reputation. I’d think they would enrich similarly.

Honda says 87 octane or higher. There are lots of other 1.4/1.5 TGDI engines with similar power output that don’t have this dilution reputation. I’d think they would enrich similarly.
"or higher" is better. I noticed pretty quickly when I started using 91 octane that the oil level no longer rose on the dipstick as I got into my OCI. It does seem to be worse on this Honda engine than on other direct injection engines. It is what it is. I'm using 91 octane for the rest of this car's life.

I believe Honda is pretty agressive on the enrichment, my main evidence is improved MPG with 91-92, in particular, Shell. A statistical difference with Shell Premium.

Yes. If you feel the surface of a new filter it feels slightly oily. More of a spray-on oiliness
Well, I’ll take your word for it. That looks like standard Asian filter media fuzz to me, and every one I have ever replaced was dry. No Honda though.

Right. With the ADBV just inverting the filter doesn’t drain much oil anyway. Plus the entire filter only holds .2 quarts.
It's easy to do and it makes me feel like there's a more complete exchange of fluids. Plus, it seems like a lot more than .2 qt comes out. Not necessarily from the filter itself, but from above the filter. It starts pouring out as I loosen the filter, then when I get it off and flip it over, even more comes out.

It's easy to do and it makes me feel like there's a more complete exchange of fluids. Plus, it seems like a lot more than .2 qt comes out. Not necessarily from the filter itself, but from above the filter. It starts pouring out as I loosen the filter, then when I get it off and flip it over, even more comes out.

Your choice, obviously. But if you look at your owner’s manual you’ll see the difference between a refill with and without a filter change is .2 quart. This should include whatever drains from above when you remove the filter.

I wouldn’t run 87 in anything with a turbo. Remember under boost conditions, you are increasing compression tremendously. I have a 2020 RDX with the De-tuned Type R 2.0L. Yes. Fuel door says unleaded only. Premium recommended. Run 87. Loose 3-4mpg and you feel it being further de-tuned and pulling timing out.

Do not go over 5,000 mile OCI. don’t waste time on the oil life monitor.
Yeah, I'm aware this is a low mileage OCI situation. I was just listing the OLM for completeness. Many times people are curious what the OLM read when the sample was taken.

Back