Bacon cold cuts, twice as bad for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this at a small Polish market. Called double bacon. Fully cooked and ready to eat cold like lunch meat in a sandwich. It has much less fat than regular bacon but have to wonder, being bacon AND probably a cured product, is it twice as bad for you?

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

different meats/similar process . Looks healthier than pepperoni or salami. Both are loaded with nitrites for color and preservatives. Read the ingredients.
grin2.gif

Trim that top left fat and it's not bad … I'd still sizzle a piece just to see what you get …

Had a BLT with avocado last night, yummy

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Trim that top left fat and it's not bad … I'd still sizzle a piece just to see what you get …

You had a Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon and Tomato sandwich.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Originally Posted by 4WD

You had a Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon and Tomato sandwich.

20.gif

Nitrates and Nitrites are bad for you. It depends how it was cured. Like everything else, best enjoyed in moderation.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It has much less fat than regular bacon but have to wonder, being bacon AND probably a cured product, is it twice as bad for you?

Hey, all those millions of Poles eat a lot of it, and they're still alive, although their overall state of health may be questionable. Follow it up with a shot of vodka, just to be safe.
smile.gif

All meats at the deli counter are not very good for you. And only low fat cheese is OK for you. Not a lot left to buy that is healthy at the deli counter.

Even meat that is marked as "naturally cured" or "no added nitrates" are not good for you. They can cure meat with celery juice and while it might be natural, you end up with meat that is just as bad as meat cured with nitrates.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/food/celery-juice-viable-alternative-nitrites-cured-meats

Originally Posted by Donald
All meats at the deli counter are not very good for you. And only low fat cheese is OK for you. Not a lot left to buy that is healthy at the deli counter.

Even meat that is marked as "naturally cured" or "no added nitrates" are not good for you. They can cure meat with celery juice and while it might be natural, you end up with meat that is just as bad as meat cured with nitrates.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/food/celery-juice-viable-alternative-nitrites-cured-meats

Even most low fat cheeses have way too much salt.
Some people can have a high sodium intake without getting high blood pressure, but I'm not one of them.
Swiss is lower in salt than most other types of cheese, so low fat Swiss might be a good choice for many people. I'm not a huge fan of Swiss, but it's better than not eating any cheese IMHO.
Sour cream instead of cheese in a dish can help limit sodium intake, yogurt based alternatives can be even better by being lower in saturated fat...although I'd sure go with the cheese by taste.

That looks like cottage bacon. Basically get a boneless boston butt, cut horizontally to remove the loose meat portions, and what you are looking at is the bottom piece cured into bacon. It's quite good. I think some also call it buckboard bacon. Normally it is fully cooked when smoked, so you can use it like lunch meat for a few days. 137 kills trichinosis, I take my to 150 or a bit more.

Originally Posted by Donald
All meats at the deli counter are not very good for you.

What about turkey? Home roast, off the bone, etc. I assume it's baked not cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back