Back in the day, what was your dad's go to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears All Season 10W30 in 1 1/2 gallon blue and white square cans
smile.gif

My grandfather owned a Pure Oil service station WAY back, and presumably used their brand. He died in 1965 and I never knew him. My dad is NOT mechanically inclined, he says it must skip a generation...always had his cars serviced at the local Sunoco station (now there's a Firehouse Subs restaurant on that lot).

More recently the Ford/Kia store he gets oil changes done at uses Motorcraft oil.

Growing up, it was whatever who bottled Montgomery Wards store branded 10W-40 oil. If the parents felt spendy, it may have been an occasional case of Pennzoil.

Old-Original-Montgomery-Ward-Supreme-Motor-Oil-Can.jpg

60's to mid 70's -- Quaker State Conventional
Mid 70's to late 80's -- Pennzoil Conventional
Late 80's to present -- Castrol GTX Conventional

In 1946 my dad bought his first new tractor, a grey Ford. We had a
Pure oil distributor and dad bought it by the barrel 20w20. It figured
out to be at that time 9 cents a qt. The distributor was in business
for about 8 years and Texaco was the distributor. He did buy some Havoline
20w20,then went to Tydol,then Gulf Pride HD Select 20w20.
Never ever had a oil problem, the trouble was always air problem.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
My Dad liked Quaker State DeLuxe 10W-40. One of the original "thicker is better" crowd. Back then, it was probably true.

That's what my Dad and Grandfather always ran too, and they always used Lee filters. My grandfather also swore by Amoco Premium gasoline.

Wasn't around Dad much as a child (Parents divorced. He traveled a lot for work.), so, don't know what he used. My Grandfather was a sworn Pennzoil believer. Usually in the 10-30, 10-40 range. Right up until passing away in 1998.

10w40 Havoline,Castrol or Citgo.Usually LEE oil filter,later K Mart (really thin sheet metal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back