Back in the day, what was your dad's go to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duckhams Q. It was green and had a distinctive smell; it is my memory of going into dad's garage and taking his squirty oil can to lubricate my bicycle chain.

Vintage-Automobilia-Duckhams-Q-Motor-Oil-_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: weasley
Duckhams Q. It was green and had a distinctive smell; it is my memory of going into dad's garage and taking his squirty oil can to lubricate my bicycle chain.

Duckhams 15W50 was still green in the early '90s.

It was my 4 parts to the 1 part M1 15W50 when I was making my own "syn blends" (thanks Vizard)

It was the in thing for awhile in the '70's. Advertising here had Ivan Mauger using it in his speedway bike...we didn't think you could use mineral oil in an alky bike, so classed that as [censored].

No idea what my father used, but there were round steel tins of Castrol in the workshop under the house.

Valvoline 10w40. Old man would by several cases at once when it was on sale.
Gear oil, grease always Valvoline. He wouldn't even consider another brand.

Originally Posted By: weasley
going into dad's garage and taking his squirty oil can to lubricate my bicycle chain.

Haha we always did that too!

30 wt Mobil right out of the drum. My Dad owned a trucking company and that was where the oil came from. Makes starting the Ford Galaxie a bit hard at 0F.

When my car was new in 1975 my dad read about the new fangled Mobil 1 synthetic, up until the he'd used 10W-40 Conventional oils and living in Northern Finland he complained that his car cranked slowly in the winter ( -30C is not uncommon there ), so he went and bought the expensive Mobil 1 ( 5W-20 only at the time ), and apparently he liked it, he said the engine cranked over a whole lot better, which is no surprise, he continued using it for some time until the engine no longer could maintain a good oil pressure with the thin 5W-20 that it was not designed for, so after that he used various 10W-40 and 20W-50 Conventional oils, and also he got a heated garage so it wouldn't be a pain to start in the winter.
The in 1980 my family moved to Spain so thin synthetic oils weren't needed so he used various 20W-50 oils, then in June 1991 in Germany the original engine blew up because of the common fault with old Ford engines of the hexagonal shaft that drives the oil pump, it broke and lost oil pressure and the engine was toast, he went in to a Ford dealership in Karlsruhe, Germany where they put in a replacement engine, after that he moved away from 20W-50 oils and switched to 10W-40 oils because he had been told that the thick 20W-50 had caused the failure ( probably not as the manual states it's fine in hot climates ) , and he continued using that until some years ago i got the car, i contunued using 10W-40 synthetic blends until now, and now it's back on 20W-50 Dino, thinking about trying M1 5W-50 or Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Dino.

This thread is enjoyable to read and especially the recounts of their dad(s). Seems there was something special about dads and cars and helping them with the projects.

Cenex, Dad worked for them so everything got put on his tab. Along with gas and single pieces of Bazooka bubble gum for me and my brother.
happy2.gif

I remember helping my dad change oil in the 80s and 90s - usually Quakerstate and some Motomaster from Canadian Tire now and then (always 5W30 until my sister bought a 2001 Honda Civic that used 5W20). Must've been on sale a lot back then. Now he uses whatever name brand synthetic he can get for a deal - mostly Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Last edited:
I remember dad always had a stash of Quaker State. Quart cans in cardboard boxes, stacks of it.
Use a regular can opener to punch a triangular hole into the top of the can and a smaller hole on the opposite side to let the air in. Knew others who used the metal spout to punched in the top of the cans, but dad was basic I guess.
After an oil/filter change and any other car/truck/boat maintenance/repair he would write the date, odometer and what was done on the sheet rock in the garage. The info was always there that way, as long as it didn't burn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back