Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

Put me in the camp that doesn't like all the crap on modern cars. But, the biggest problem with them is finding a dealer that isn't actively trying to steal your money. Seriously, the only dealer in my town that I might consider doing business with is a Honda place, but mainly because one of our neighbors has had good service from them over the years. Otherwise, I have had terrible experiences at the other dealers that are nearby. Purchasing a new vehicle is supposed to give you peace of mind, but it won't if the dealer is not trustworthy.

I should have added that the average age of the two cars in my household is 15 years. With the price of today's vehicles I think it is almost impossible to come anywhere close to the total ownership cost of any reasonable used car. Just the sales tax alone on a $50K car is a lot more than I have paid for many cars that gave me years of use without major repairs. Add in the insurance cost, the excise or property tax, and the cost of dealer maintenance, plus the financing, and you are in a different league in terms of spending. Sure, if you want the new car and can afford it there are many advantages, but please don't use cost as an argument.

Put me in the camp that doesn't like all the crap on modern cars. But, the biggest problem with them is finding a dealer that isn't actively trying to steal your money. Seriously, the only dealer in my town that I might consider doing business with is a Honda place, but mainly because one of our neighbors has had good service from them over the years. Otherwise, I have had terrible experiences at the other dealers that are nearby. Purchasing a new vehicle is supposed to give you peace of mind, but it won't if the dealer is not trustworthy.

I try to avoid the extra stuff on vehicles either. Not because I don't trust or like it - I just find it unnecessary. A vehicle is a tool to get from point A to point B. I like things to be minimalistic. I don't need the extra stuff.

If I had to buy ( and wanted to spend the money to do so ) a new vehicle it would be something like a base model 5 speed Versa or a tradesman/"custom"/XL model pickup.

According to Car and Driver it does it in 5.7 seconds…. Vs a Prius’s 10.5.

And still quicker than my 20 year old V8 powered daily driver :p

I try to avoid the extra stuff on vehicles either. Not because I don't trust or like it - I just find it unnecessary. A vehicle is a tool to get from point A to point B. I like things to be minimalistic. I don't need the extra stuff.

If I had to buy ( and wanted to spend the money to do so ) a new vehicle it would be something like a base model 5 speed Versa or a tradesman/"custom"/XL model pickup.

And still quicker than my 20 year old V8 powered daily driver :p
I LOVE my 1500 Tradesman. Radio has Bluetooth, but otherwise the rest of the interior is as basic as you can get…. And it just works. The backup camera integrated into the rear view mirror that disappears when not in use is nifty, but that’s all I really need.
IMG_7489.pngIMG_7490.jpeg

Still 0-60 in what? A minute, bwhahaha... like being stuck behind a Prius!
Google is your friend-right around 6 seconds for 0 to 60mph. A 2 1/2 ton vehicle.

Spewing your nonsense-I'm out on this conversation.

True
There is a point between luddite and being on the bleeding edge. It's called being a cautious adopter. Just because some new shiney feature is out doesn't mean I need to get it today.
I'm fine with being on the back edge of the tech wave.
Not a phobia, just cautious in when I adopt and adapt to new tech.

Some of us just take longer to convince the tech is solid.
I don't think there has been much change in tech in a long time - EV's excepted. Most of the new "tech" is anciliary. Yes, my car will steer itself for some period of time, but those systems are self checking and will disable themselves if they deem themselves not working - or if you don't touch the wheel for some period of time. If it fails - or the camera goes or isn't properly calibrated - like after you get your windshield replaced, you get a warning message in the dash, but the car runs just fine.

Everything else, ECU's, VVTi, ABS, computer controlled transmissions, etc - have been around for decades literally.

I LOVE my 1500 Tradesman. Radio has Bluetooth, but otherwise the rest of the interior is as basic as you can get…. And it just works. The backup camera integrated into the rear view mirror that disappears when not in use is nifty, but that’s all I really need.
View attachment 156493View attachment 156494
Stuff like backup cameras and bluetooth connectivity I like.

Backup cameras make hooking up a trailer a breeze! And bluetooth is nice for the music. But I play music from my phone, I don't need an fancy infotainment system.

3 cars…..9,10,12 years old.

When younger, making far less than today, I would get a brand new car every five years.

Today, I keep them as long as they are safe, reliable and look good ( rust ).

According to Car and Driver it does it in 5.7 seconds…. Vs a Prius’s 10.5.
The Prius is a hotrod compared to my old '81 Rabbit Diesel.
IIRC, the 0-60 for that car was between 25-30 seconds.
I think the 0-60 for most mid 1970s personal luxury cars was in the 10-13 second range if they had the biggest V8 and favorable gearing. Economy gearing stretched out those times.
We consider the Prius slow today, but it would have been a hot rod close to 50 years ago.

Well, I guess us OCD maintenance freaks aren't the only ones getting all the life out of their vehicles:

"284 million vehicles in operation (VIO) on US roads, the average age of cars and light trucks in the US has risen again this year to a new record of 12.5 years, up by more than three months over 2022"

Also of note "In addition, the continued rise of light trucks/utilities means the number of passenger cars on the road will fall beneath 100 million for the first time since 1978."

Full article for those interested with some good charts. Probably best to select only neccessary cookies. https://www.spglobal.com/mobility/en/research-analysis/average-age-of-light-vehicles-in-the-us-hits-record-high.html#:~:text=With more than 284 million,analysis from S&P Global Mobility.
So what they’re telling us is, the average vehicle is of prime age to be sniffed by bureaucrats. No wonder the EPA is trying to crack down even harder on ICE emissions!

We have a 2002, two 2003's and, one 2020.
The 2020 is nice but, the wife drives it and It has only 28,000 miles. I prefer our older vehicles myself.
Especially since I am used to them and, have put a ton of money in them over
the years keeping them in great shape.

It isn't a car, but I really enjoy the analog feel of driving my 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500. There's the six-speed manual, front and rear manual brakes with no antilock, only a tach and a speedo, both round and analog. I like cars like that too. Totally different feel. More like working in partnership with the machine instead of riding in or on something.

I believe the manufacturer's have priced themselves out of the market.
The proof will be in the sales volume in the next 1 to 2 years. Right now as far as trucks are concerned maybe not-

I have been postulating the vehicle price / sale number thing for a while. I may have almost convinced myself used vehicle prices aren't coming down. Note I am usually wrong, so this might be a good sign that a plummet is around the corner :) Anyway, why do I think this:

1) New vehicle sales are way behind. There are 280M total light vehicles. In 2000 new vehicle sales got to about 17.5M, then decreased until they plummeted in 2008 to like 11M, and just made it back to about 17.5M in 2016, then started decreasing again - even before the pandemic. The supply of used cars is low. Supply and demand.

2) The only way for the low used supply to be overcome is huge new supply. The OEM's seem in no rush to push that envelope.

3) Anyone under the age of 30 cares less about what car they drive then any previous generation. They care more about there phone and air Jordan's and Instagram account. So for them, used or new - who cares. At the same time, our largest generation - the boomers - are retiring. How likely are retirees to run out and buy a new car, so they can trade their old car. Maybe some, but I think a lot will simply drive what they have.

4) Maybe the most important - used cars are no longer believed to be dead at 100K miles. 200K miles isn't even a stretch anymore for most decent vehicles. So for most people, 200K is like 15 years, and most cars still have lots of life left after that.

5) Even if there is a deep recession that collapses prices of everything else, during recessions used cars are often in even higher demand, as most people are trying to save money, not buy new cars.

Its a theory. Time will tell. Like I said, I am often wrong on this macro stuff, but we have been talking about used prices falling for a while, and they haven't moved at all.

Check your info...
Plastic Intake Manifolds: Checking For Leaks – UnderhoodService

Most late-model engines come factory-equipped with plastic intake manifolds. Plastic saves weight and cost, and conducts heat much more slowly than aluminum or cast iron. This helps lower the temperature of the incoming air for a denser, more powerful air/fuel mixture.
Check your info Jeff...
Quote me to me....I said "keep your plastic parts out of my engines." I'm not sure of your mechanical knowledge or abilities, so I'll ask you a question. Where is the the intake manifold? Follow up question: Go anywhere you wish on the internet. Show me one piece of plastic INSIDE a 3800?

Again and again...the data will contradict you....plenty of plastic on that 20 yo. VW W8 Passat I have...it's the least of the concerns hahahaah. Intake manifold on the Sportwagen? Plastic. You don't think this stuff is engineered?
Again and again......not sure what the reading comprehension is with some of you folks....I said "keep your plastic parts out of my engines."
Is the intake manifold on the inside or outside? Why do you think that is? You don't think this stuff is engineered?

Back