Average US vehicle age now 12.5 years

Yep - heard it and yes, applies here. But you know, some of this stuff is driven by a desire IMHO of just not wanting to learn/accept change. I mean, at this piont the symbols for on/off, wifi, etc. are all universal and like I told my mom one time who wanted to know how to voice-to-text..."Mom...look at the screen....what symbol do you see that may be something linked to voice?"...."A microphone?". "Yes Mom...." AHAHAHAHA

I LOVE it. I recall how we looked at each other and laughed when they pulled us off the tools in 1990 for a meeting to inform us we were going to be sent to computer schools in small groups. We thought they were insane. Now we all need one about as much as we need air.
Our newest car is a 2018 and my son laughed when I said I did not want one with a ****ed lap top across the dash! He said "good luck finding one without!"

My dealership has everything from a 1984 model (Nissan truck) to a 2018 Ford SUV.

In between the two??? How is this for cars from the 90's and early 00's!

1992 Toyota Camry (82k miles)
1996 Mazda B4000 (168k miles and immaculate)
1996 Saturn SW2 (37k miles)
1996 Geo Metro (151k miles but a real snit-fox!)
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue (Forest Green, cheap but a rolling version of leprosy)
2001 Suzuki XL7 ($1000 mistake!)
2002 Lincoln Town Car (Charity vehicle)
2002 Saturn SL2 (112k, great history. No one wants it.)

We also just sold a 2003 Accord EX with 97k miles for $7000, leather and loaded, along with a 2005 Toyota Camry with 59k miles for $9000.

Older cars still have a healthy demand... as long as they're a Toyota or a Honda. The rest just need to be driven until they're crusher fodder.

Good to see more people getting more years out of their cars. We kept our original '76 Civic for fifteen years and our '86 Civic Wagon for seventeen.
Most cars of the past forty years or so will hold up to long use with anything approaching reasonable maintenance.
When we were younger and poorer, we drove a number of older vehicles. The only real downside was the need for more frequent tinkering, which I used to not mind and even enjoyed.
Today, we are older and better off and prefer newer stuff that needs little more than the occasional oil change and fuel. The problems some cite with the more advanced tech in newer vehicles seem illusory.
In an era when you can't find a battery for less than a hundred bucks and a good set of tires will set you back a grand or close to it, the economics of old car ownership may not be as favorable as they once were.
Still, there is certainly a place for older higher miles vehicles and we've had a number in the past. They did what we needed them to do when we needed them to do it, along with some repairs (by me) along the way.
I wonder whether some of those who are old car stalwarts have simply benefited from the incredible reliability and durability of their modern design aging cars?

I just drove 100 miles with the radar cruise control on. You can also use the cruise without it. Anyway it applied the brakes three times to keep an adequate distance between me and the car in front. If you know it's on- it doesn't disturb you.While I'm sure there can be an situation it can be " fooled" it hasn't happened yet.

I love radar CC. Ford does it better/smoother than Mazda IMO but after the first time trying it I made sure my current car has it. My mom's fusion also has parallel park assist and it's actually spot on too. I was really nervous about trying it out but it parked the car just fine!

How many people in this thread actually own a modern (last few years) vehicle?
Meanwhile I’m over here looking at 2018+ Yukon XL’s/Suburbans/Escalades to replace the 2018 Grand Caravan we have outgrown. They’ll have to pry my 2019 1500 Classic from my hands.

Inb4 “just don’t take all your crap with you!”
A double stroller, because 2 under 2, takes up a ton of room.

Meanwhile I’m over here looking at 2018+ Yukon XL’s/Suburbans/Escalades to replace the 2018 Grand Caravan we have outgrown. They’ll have to pry my 2019 1500 Classic from my hands.

A 2018 Grand Caravan has a ton of room, no?

20 years ago we had 2 under 2, and we had something like this - different brand maybe. Fit in the trunk of my olds with our luggage. https://www.albeebaby.com/uppababy-...TyO_17p_71UslHvYRFIPMhPVaMjy9o4BoC_zAQAvD_BwE

People used to say the same about power window and power door. They are standard now and nobody cares. If they are broken you can buy some parts on eBay for $100 and replace the mechanism yourself.

I would've never said that, crank windows broke at least as often as power ones! But one cannot argue that repair bills have increased astronomically with the inclusion of the latest tech on cars.

One thing that affected me personally was the rush to modularization for ease of production. A $94 water pump failed on my car that once I could easily bolt on say my dearly departed fathers' Ford Taurus if it was failing. Now it's embedded into the bottom of the engine so the water pump is less than $100 but the labor to lift the engine and replace it is $1400...

And again I AM NOT AGAINST technology or innovation, just the gimmicky and glitchy stuff that is rendered valueless a few years out and may cause vulnerabilities to hackers. Ford Sync, hello? Are you there Ford Sync?

Last edited:
"AlL nEW CaRs aRE traSH because CAFe ThiN oilS autO StoP StarT anD sMALl tURboS...theY wON'T lASt. caN I plEASE jUST HAVe a '99 CAmry?" - BITOGers

I hope you're joking ironically, that door jam styled steaming heap is the last thing I'd want with the sludging issues and Toyota's brilliant stealth recall to preserve their BS infallibility...

I would love a manual though, miss my manual Focus. The shiny automated-manual "automatic" has a notoriously high failure rate though on all those Ford small cars...

A 2018 Grand Caravan has a ton of room, no?
Yes and no. Plenty of room for passengers, but then you’re tight on room for much else unless you want kids climbing all over your groceries/sports equipment/etc or a stroller crammed on top of said stuff. The older 2 sit in the 3rd row because they can buckle themselves, the younger 2 go in the middle.
IMG_7480.jpeg

20 years ago we had 2 under 2, and we had something like this - different brand maybe. Fit in the trunk of my olds with our luggage. https://www.albeebaby.com/uppababy-...TyO_17p_71UslHvYRFIPMhPVaMjy9o4BoC_zAQAvD_BwE
We have one very similar to this. Neither of us love the van, we see it as a necessary evil, which is part of why we’re looking. The extra legroom will also be nice as they get bigger.
IMG_7481.jpeg

My dad and I went fishing the other day. He drove his brand new blazer to the launch and I my 07 canyon with the boat. He backed me down and remarked when he got in the boat that my truck feels like a model T compared to his blazer and it kinda does lol. We both got there and back in safety and comfort though. Both of us are perfectly satisfied with our vehicles. None of the “features” in newer vehicles interest me in the slightest. Most I see as an inconvenience at best. A newer truck wouldn’t help me do my hobbies or work any better. I dread the day that rust forces me into some newer whiz-bang driving contraption.

I hope you're joking ironically, that door jam styled steaming heap is the last thing I'd want with the sludging issues and Toyota's brilliant stealth recall to preserve their BS infallibility...

I would love a manual though, miss my manual Focus. The shiny automated-manual "automatic" has a notoriously high failure rate though on all those Ford small cars...
Yes....joking...the alternating lower/upper case indicates that. I have a '13 Focus manual...the DCT was hot garbage.

Yep-new tech phobia on here is rampant. Many newer vehicles are better than whatever you are driving from 2005.

Problem is with that cutting edge tech comes more involved/costly repair/replacement. Yes newer cars tend to perform more predictably/longer, but that of course comes at a cost. It's getting to the point of many cars needing to be serviced at a dealership instead of by the owner or independent shop not specializing in certain fields.

Reactions: CKN
to the point of many cars needing to be serviced at a dealership instead of by the owner
In most cases this is a myth perpetuated by the dealers, and the internet.

In a few cases some things are just not serviceable at all. Taking it to the dealer just makes you feel good because they tell you that part doesn't need to be serviced.

I will agree that our right to repair is going away in some cases - like ability to swap an ECU or get the required file to download to a new ECU, for example.

People used to say the same about power window and power door. They are standard now and nobody cares. If they are broken you can buy some parts on eBay for $100 and replace the mechanism yourself.
True
There is a point between luddite and being on the bleeding edge. It's called being a cautious adopter. Just because some new shiney feature is out doesn't mean I need to get it today.
I'm fine with being on the back edge of the tech wave.
Not a phobia, just cautious in when I adopt and adapt to new tech.

Some of us just take longer to convince the tech is solid.

Back