Average oil change interval and brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm closing in on 200,000 miles on my 2008 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 6.0, currently with 185,000 miles. I've owned the Burb since new. For fun I checked my log book. I did 27 oil changes at an average OCI of just under 7,000 miles. All the changes except the latest one were 5W30 Synthetic. (I used 5w40 for the latest one.). No oil leaks and it doesn't use oil. I haven't used any high mileage oil or any of the extended mileage oils. Also, no oil additives.

Here are the brands with the number of changes.
Pennzoil -10
Castrol - 5
Mobil 1 - 4
QUSUD - 3
Motomaster - 3

Most the oils were whatever was on sale. Most of the filters were Fram OCODs. I then changed to Fram Ultras a few years ago.

Hopefully I make 200,000 then head towards 250,000. The body is still in good shape. The Burb has done maybe 10 trips a year with a 6300 lb travel trailer and has a factory aux mini radiator cooler and a factory " inside the radiator" oil cooler.
I'm thinking the 6.0 LS is one dependable engine.

Last edited:
In a moment of weakness I bought 5W40 for the summer towing season.
laugh.gif

I change every 5-7 k
Used only full synthetics for the life of my 2 5.3 motors. All 5w -30. 173k and 194k on engines.
Used Castrol, Mobil Pennzoil, Valvoline.
Found Valvoline syn I used too much oil between changes
Max life used less,
Mobil uses least oil of all I have tried.
Only 1 of mine 5.3 uses any oil
I'm gona give Quaker state a try next I think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
In a moment of weakness I bought 5W40 for the summer towing season.
laugh.gif

I'd run it every time.

There's no shame in using that oil pulling that load.

I changed oil in my Mazda about every 6k (vs. 7500 suggested by Mazda in normal use), until it got old and leaky, then longer. Used whatever brand 10W-40 was least expensive, as long as it met then-current API S_ spec. Oil filter every 3rd oil change. Air filter about every 100k.

Prius got TGMO 0W-20 at the dealer (including when owned by previous owner) about every 5K (vs. 10k suggested by Toyota) until it reached 61.5k. Since then, one change of Rural King (=Warren Oil) 0W-20, one change of PP 0W-20, and three changes of PP 5W-20, at intervals of roughly 8.5k.

Last edited:
With no oil consumption and no leaks, still running strong, it sounds like you are onto something good. Most of the trusty pushrod GM small block V8 engines will run a long time with basic maintenance... I have seen hundreds of thousands of reliable service miles even with abuse, they are generally robust motors.
I would not change anything you are doing until you have good reason to change. Modern 5w30 synthetic oil will handle 7,000 miles no problem, even with some severe service.

F150 3.5 Eco 2014 , mostly use for 50/50 driving and pulling 8000 pounds RV trailer once a year for about 5000 miles snowbird life sucks :)

Average interval since new : 9300 miles ( once a year following OLM )
Only use Pennzoil Platinum 5w 30 and F500s filters

Will try Fram Tough Guard TG10575 for the next 2 interval got two free from a friend trading his truck and they must be I'm hoping as good or equal to the F500s

Last edited:
Since I am a retired mechanic I would change oil every 3000 miles with whatever dealership had or the shop I worked at. I then went to Mobil 5000 then on to Maxlife. Bought a GM with OLM which only loved Valvoline at once every 6 months. Joined BITOG and went to Quakerstate Synthetic cause it was cheap and sleeper oil but got changed out early due to lifter noise then Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Ran this for 4000 miles cause it always lost a quart at that point. Now my Caravan has been changed at 4500 miles for first 2 oil changes cause factory dropped a quart at that point and second was a blend without Chrysler certification. The Havoline ProDs 5w20 seems to be doing ok any how it is less than 1000 miles and 2 months into the interval of 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back