Average Oil Changes Per Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read that the average number of oil changes per year (cars/light trucks) 2003-2009, is from a low 2.8 (2008) to a high of 3.44 (2003). Seems the "general" population is still following the "old" recommended 3-4k oil change interval. Wonder when this trend will change.

Why change, if it ain't broke!!!
06.gif

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
yes, but is that due to education, or ignorance?

Or just tightening of family budgets due to recession.

Since I retired, for the second time, in Jun of 2007, the Cavalier has had 7 oil changes or 3.5 per year, The Toyota has had 4 oil changer or 2 a year. I bought a new Silverado in April, 2008, and it has had 5 oil changes( day it came home from dealer, 500 miles, 2000 miles, 5000 miles, 7898 miles) The Silverado will probably settle into 2.5 per year. That comes to an average of 3.5 per year, but, anticipating an average of 2.67 per year.

I will be Honest, I am at number 3 with my Taurus, and that was in 5-6K miles..(from May 09)

First oil change right when i bought it

800 miles later, i changed it again to syn

4.4K miles later i changed it again..

Every 4-5K miles i will change it from here on out, so hopefully a couple of times a year..

2X-3X/year.

I would think a normal average for miles a year is 15,000 now days. So that would be around 3 changes a year at 5,000 miles.

I'm going to catch flak over this, but oh well! I drive very few miles a year, averaging approx 4400, use Red Line and Purolator PureONE filters, and still change both 4 times a year, with about 1100-1200 miles on them. Why? No other reason than it can't hurt, and I like fresh oil in my engine (one vehicle owner). And, frankly, couldn't care less about the costs.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Why? No other reason than it can't hurt, and I like fresh oil in my engine (one vehicle owner). And, frankly, couldn't care less about the costs.
21.gif

Since you could care less about costs, why not change it every month? Surely that "can't hurt" either. :)

Sorry, but it's just ridiculous to me. Alas, it's your money. I guess we all spend it on stuff that makes us feel better. You could say that I'm wasting money on a BMW when a KIA would do.

I'm going to catch flak over this, but oh well! I drive very few miles a year, averaging approx 4400, use Red Line and Purolator PureONE filters, and still change both 4 times a year, with about 1100-1200 miles on them. Why? No other reason than it can't hurt, and I like fresh oil in my engine (one vehicle owner). And, frankly, couldn't care less about the costs.
21.gif

No flame from the likes of me.
banana2.gif

I have only had one real, honest to goodness sports car. It was a 1969 Abarth Scorpion Spyder Custom. It got an oil change, new spark plugs, and basic tune up every 1200 miles.

This car had no heater, no defroster/defoggers, no turn signals, no radio, no power anything. The top was not a fold down but a fold and store in the trunk. It had tachometer, speedometer, oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, ammeter, but no fuel gauge
shocked2.gif
It was the only car I ever owned that would pull the front wheels.

I forgot to add that it only had one windshield wiper on the drivers side.

Last edited:
21.gif

Actually it does hurt, "the enviroment" but its obvious that doesn't concern you.

Me. I care about each and every dollar I spend, not because I'm poor "which I'm not" but because I'd rather have the money than throwing it away willy nilly to the world. But as someone else said it is your money, or should I say was your money.

There's an old saying; A fool and his money are soon ?????, wait how does that go?

Oh BTW I run an oil change on all my vehicles at 5,000 miles or 6 months, just makes it easier to remember.

Just to be curious, honestly curious, how does use of an oil that does not deplete the petroleum supply, and is likely recycled by someone who is that maintenance strict, hurt the environment.
21.gif

I don't know if he does any other environmentally foolish things like eating at fast food places, buying processed and packaged foods, heating and air conditioning his house, or sending his trash to a landfill.
shocked2.gif

Some people spend money on things like bowling and equipment, golfing and equipment, fishing and equipment, hunting and equipment, $85.00 a liter bourbon, which is cheap, and then some are car enthusiasts and equipment. I have a lawyer neighbor that has a private airplane and releases exhaust pollution into the atmosphere at 9,000 feet.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Just to be curious, honestly curious, how does use of an oil that does not deplete the petroleum supply, and is likely recycled by someone who is that maintenance strict, hurt the environment.

Well its my understanding for every qt. or gal. of oil "or any other commodity" sold needs to be replaced. Or isn't that how it works?

Moreover in the area I live most is not all oil people take to the recycler ends up in a home made oil burner, usually in an auto repair shop. This goes for the oil turned to the auto part chain stores. I doubt very much if the stacks on those burners have scrubbers or filters of any kind to keep the contaminates out of the atmosphere. But then what do I know?

21.gif

Wow,even for me thats kinda over the top,but thats kool, if you enjoy it, all the power to ya.That motor is probably spotless.
55.gif
For me, after i break in my motor,my 1st oil
change with redline will be at 1500 to 2000, then 4 to 5k for the life of the motor.

My OCI is every 6 months regaurdless of mileage. November and May. My garage is not heated, and this prevents me from changing oil in the middle of of the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back