Oil Change Intervals by Manuf

Messages
220
Location
NH
I read this forum with great interest and learn new things. But I have an observation, manufacturer's have oil change intervals based typically on dino oil with factors such as overall maintenance schedules, environmental factors and engine life. I see people stating that dino oil is not good past 3000-4000 miles based on UOA. This invalidates manufacturer's typical recommendations of 7500 miles and sometimes 10,000 miles. When a manufactuer recommends a certain oil weight there are general charectoristics. I would imagine automotive engineers would as any scientist/engineer would take into account the worst case of oil, ie at 7500 miles, to come up with a recommendation of oil change interval. The average of the oil would be determined over the course of the interval not brand new out of the bottle. Personally I use 5000 miles based on the 6 month time period elapsing and always will with dino. I have had little issue with the succession of high mileage (250k) but cars I cared for using this interval. Just another thought to this accumaltion of info.
 
Messages
184
Location
TN
Most manufacturers recommendations for 7500 miles intervals are for normal operating conditions which most of car owners don't meet. Unless your mileage is done mostly when cruising at moderate speeds and you live in moderate climate, you're very likely operating your car in extreme conditions: short trips, many cold starts, stop and go traffic, idling.
 
Messages
9,365
Location
USA
I also believe that when you get to higher speeds 80 mph and up, the dino oil does take somewhat of a beating as evidenced by increased oil consumption and higher rpms.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by Cutehumor: I also believe that when you get to higher speeds 80 mph and up, the dino oil does take somewhat of a beating as evidenced by increased oil consumption and higher rpms.
That all depends on the gearing of the car though. A car like my old 98 Formula 6 speed could drive along at 80mph and it was only revving at 2000rpm, thanks to it's .50 overdrive 6th gear and 3.42 axle ratio. Even at 100mph, it was only 2500 rpm. I made a few highway trips where I went 80-90mph for a few hours on end, and still got over 27MPG too. (at 70mph it would get 31.0MPG) [ August 18, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]
 
Messages
9,365
Location
USA
quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
quote:
Originally posted by Cutehumor: I also believe that when you get to higher speeds 80 mph and up, the dino oil does take somewhat of a beating as evidenced by increased oil consumption and higher rpms.
That all depends on the gearing of the car though. A car like my old 98 Formula 6 speed could drive along at 80mph and it was only revving at 2000rpm, thanks to it's .50 overdrive 6th gear and 3.42 axle ratio. Even at 100mph, it was only 2500 rpm. I made a few highway trips where I went 80-90mph for a few hours on end, and still got over 27MPG too. (at 70mph it would get 31.0MPG)

I believe my g/f pontiac sunfire has a 3 speed tranny. at 80 mph, her rpms are at 3500. before a 1000 mile trip, dipstick was full but at after the trip, it was down 3/4 quart. typically, the car burns quart/2600 miles. [Off Topic!] It's a shame GM axed the firebird and camaro, I think the firebird is better looking than the camaro. I have a GM card that I have to use earnings by 2006, do you think GM will have an affordable v-8 sportscar by then? I've read about the GTO but it's pricey (35k) from what I can tell and only a limited number will be made. I'm tired of driving econoboxes. [Smile] [ August 18, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
It's a shame GM axed the firebird and camaro, I think the firebird is better looking than the camaro. I have a GM card that I have to use earnings by 2006, do you think GM will have an affordable v-8 sportscar by then?
The rumor mill amongst my f-body friends on the internet say that the Camaro will return for 2006! Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Firebird will join it. [Frown]
 
Messages
1,203
Location
Oregon
Intersting, I was just reading on another forum about a guy who just bought a new 03 Mercedes E320. Mercedes is using Mobil 1 from the start. The engine is equiped with a sensor that test the oil quality & impurities of the oil constantly. Built-in UOA? [Big Grin] Than it tells the driver when it is time to change the oil. The dealer told him to expect this to happen around 10,000 - 12,000 miles on the 1st oil change. [Happy]
 

JTK

Messages
13,234
Location
Buffalo, NY
I realize this idea has been kicked around this forum often, but don't you think auto makers may be a bit lax on their specs associated with OCI's due to the fact they are in the business of selling & servicing vehicles? If they can get their cars beyond the manufacturers warranty period, it's all profit for them then. Joel
 
Messages
23,591
quote:
I realize this idea has been kicked around this forum often, but don't you think auto makers may be a bit lax on their specs associated with OCI's due to the fact they are in the business of selling & servicing vehicles? If they can get their cars beyond the manufacturers warranty period, it's all profit for them then.
Auto makers can't afford losing customers. If motors clap out after 100k miles, would you buy the same brand car again (Unless all makes are like that, of course)?
 

JTK

Messages
13,234
Location
Buffalo, NY
Moribundman- I completely agree with what you are saying, but I'd bet car manufacturers set their specs based on buyers trading in / selling their vehicles before the 100Kmi mark. Not only do they get more new car sales, but profits for servicing the used ones as well. Joel
 
Messages
184
Location
TN
quote:
Originally posted by Hirev: Intersting, I was just reading on another forum about a guy who just bought a new 03 Mercedes E320. Mercedes is using Mobil 1 from the start. The engine is equiped with a sensor that test the oil quality & impurities of the oil constantly. Built-in UOA? [Big Grin] Than it tells the driver when it is time to change the oil. The dealer told him to expect this to happen around 10,000 - 12,000 miles on the 1st oil change. [Happy]
There is no lab in M-B nor BMW and other cars with service interval indicators. The oil is not tested, your driving is. By constantly monitoring engine speed, number of cold starts, the amount of burned fuel, etc. ECU is able to adjust the service intervals accordingly.
 
Messages
1,203
Location
Oregon
quote:
Originally posted by F1Crazy:
quote:
Originally posted by Hirev: Intersting, I was just reading on another forum about a guy who just bought a new 03 Mercedes E320. Mercedes is using Mobil 1 from the start. The engine is equiped with a sensor that test the oil quality & impurities of the oil constantly. Built-in UOA? [Big Grin] Than it tells the driver when it is time to change the oil. The dealer told him to expect this to happen around 10,000 - 12,000 miles on the 1st oil change. [Happy]
There is no lab in M-B nor BMW and other cars with service interval indicators. The oil is not tested, your driving is. By constantly monitoring engine speed, number of cold starts, the amount of burned fuel, etc. ECU is able to adjust the service intervals accordingly.

Thanks, So it sounds like a someone is yanking someone's chain here. Hard to believe a car dealer would do that. LOL [Big Grin]
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,988
Location
Oakville, Ontario
Bosch is developing (or has developed?) a sensor like that which actually does monitor the condition of the oil. I'm not sure what parameters it looks at though. I would expect something like this to show up in luxury cars within the next 5 years. I'd love to retrofit one to my car! If I could get a trip computer type setup with constant readouts on it, man I'd be so happy! [Happy]
 
Messages
9,448
Location
USA
Most domestic brands are designed so that 70% of the vechiles will make it to 120,000-150,000 miles with no engine problems following the recomended OCI and maintence schudule. I prefere not to be part of the 30% acceptable loss! I also do not want my car to just make it to that millage and be low on compression and burning oil! Someone else hit the nail on the head. Anything past 3/36 is money for the dealer and parts money for the OEM and dealer!!Domestic car companys have not hit on the idea of building a good used car yet!!!!
 
Messages
9,448
Location
USA
HArper Engineers were elemintaed from the marketing mix a long time ago. THis is my primarly beef with Domestic brands. THey let marketing run the show right into the ground! SO now you have to load the vechile with cheap content and rebate the heck out of the vechile to make sale.
 
Messages
2,363
Location
Texas
I would love to see the hi performace engine rear wheel drive concept without all the junk added reappear again. Just a big engine, good suspension, tachometer, maybe air condititioning, no electric anything. I would buy two! Dan
 
Messages
3,023
Location
USA-Michigan
quote:
Originally posted by sbc350gearhead: GM has announced that the impala and monte carlo will be redesigned for 2006, and will be V-8 powered and rear wheel drive. [Big Grin]
What are you smoking??
 

CJH

Messages
489
Location
Pennsylvania
quote:
Originally posted by F1Crazy: Most manufacturers recommendations for 7500 miles intervals are for normal operating conditions which most of car owners don't meet.
F1, I have to challange you on your claim that most car owners dont meet the normal criteria. Just by using the word "normal", the automatkers are implying it applies to most people. If the severe schedule applied to most people, they would call it the normal schedule and call the normal one light duty or something like that. The conditions for severe duty in the manuals for my cars go something like this: Follow severe schedule if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions: NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY drive under a severe condition, you should follow the normal schedule. - Driving less than 5 miles per trip? NOT ME - Driving less than 10 miles per trip in freezing weather? NOT ME - Most of your driving in extremely hot (>90 degrees F) conditions? NOT ME - Driving with a roof-top carrier? NOT ME - Driving in mountainous conditions? NOT ME - Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads? NOT ME
 
Messages
184
Location
TN
quote:
Originally posted by CJH:
quote:
Originally posted by F1Crazy: Most manufacturers recommendations for 7500 miles intervals are for normal operating conditions which most of car owners don't meet.
F1, I have to challange you on your claim that most car owners dont meet the normal criteria. Just by using the word "normal", the automatkers are implying it applies to most people. If the severe schedule applied to most people, they would call it the normal schedule and call the normal one light duty or something like that. The conditions for severe duty in the manuals for my cars go something like this: Follow severe schedule if you drive your vehicle MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions: NOTE: If you only OCCASIONALLY drive under a severe condition, you should follow the normal schedule. - Driving less than 5 miles per trip? NOT ME - Driving less than 10 miles per trip in freezing weather? NOT ME - Most of your driving in extremely hot (>90 degrees F) conditions? NOT ME - Driving with a roof-top carrier? NOT ME - Driving in mountainous conditions? NOT ME - Driving on muddy, dusty or de-iced roads? NOT ME

Just watching my family and my friends I see that all of their cars operate under severe conditions. [I dont know] Most of the US population lives in big cities, that's why Gore :cough: loser :cough: claimed popular vote [LOL!] [Cool]
 
Top