Automatic Tranny-Service Life wit/without ATFchang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a2001 BMW 325i. Its our first car with an automatic. It shifts well but has never had an ATF change. I'm wondering what's the average life of a ZF automatic transmission with or without regular ATF changes. The car has been driven with care. Any votes for just letting the automatic transmission alone and not changing it ? I also wonder how much a replacement transmission (God forbid) would be if it ever came to that.

IIRC they had problems with the reverse drum in the ZF transmission used in that car. I would do a Google search. Some of them were filled for 'life', so servicing them isn't that easy.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What does BMW say is the change interval? I'd say that's a pretty good hint.

Our local BMW service director said the company says lifetime but the service director says that normally means 100,000 miles. They don't recommend changing it now with more than 100,000.

Not when it comes to BMW. "Lifetime" is what you will find but yet no definition of "lifetime" from BMW will be found.

I changed mine (328 X) with a few pan drops and a new filter. Check metronic sleeve if you end up doing a service. U need some height as they are a PITA.

Originally Posted By: KevinV

Our local BMW service director said the company says lifetime but the service director says that normally means 100,000 miles. They don't recommend changing it now with more than 100,000.

They don't recommend (read that as do not want to be responsible for) changing it now with more than 100,000.

I would have it changed. New ATF can only help.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I am guessing "lifetime" here is lifetime of the transmission. When the transmission quits, technically the fluid lasted the lifetime of the transmission.

I think that's the case with most "lifetime" fluids.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I am guessing "lifetime" here is lifetime of the transmission. When the transmission quits, technically the fluid lasted the lifetime of the transmission.

When my son bought his 2000 323i he asked about having the transmission serviced and was told they were filled for life. About 20,000 miles later the reverse drum failed. A little Google search revealed they had problems with the reverse drum, and that's what failed. The fluid lasted the life of the transmission.

I know a guy who's transmission lasted 240k on the FF. When it failed, he was on an exit ramp from the interstate. Can't help but wonder if it was due to fluid.

I talked to a service guy at the Volvo dealer. From what he's seen, the life of the transmission can vary from 100-200k. Once again, I wonder if fluid is related.

I have a VW with a ZF transmission. I flushed the fluid at 100,000. It shifted better and smoother after the fluid change. I did the flush through the trans cooler line. It took 11 quarts until the fluid coming out was bright red. I'd change the fluid.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I know a guy who's transmission lasted 240k on the FF. When it failed, he was on an exit ramp from the interstate. Can't help but wonder if it was due to fluid.

I talked to a service guy at the Volvo dealer. From what he's seen, the life of the transmission can vary from 100-200k. Once again, I wonder if fluid is related.

Friend of mine bought a Cherokee for $400. As far as we could tell, it was the original transmission fluid. VERY dark, thick ... felt like old 10w-30. It had 240K milese on it

After a few flushes with some cheap DexIII , it still worked for probably another 20-30K miles before the Jeep got too rusty to service.

No one can tell you exactly when it will fail, I would guess somewhere between 150-200k if we were betting, but I can tell you fluid with 100k miles is not doing its job fully, including lubrication and protection.

Do yourself a favor and get the fluid changed however possible.

I would venture to guess you're looking at $5000+ for a rebuild but just a wild guess.

I had an 09 Audi A4 -with over 120,000miles - I changed the fluid to Maxlife, 4 drain and fills.
Trans shifted better then new until we sold it - 40,000miles later - zero issues.

The sealed units are not that hard to change, just a little research and time.

I say change the fluid - better new fluid than gritty old fluid.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would ignore any recommendations not to change fluids for anything. Except for the air conditioning, all the other fluids need to be changed.

+1 When I see filled for life I laugh. Call me old school.

I dont even like going 100k miles on a service interval. The recommended interval for the 6R60 in the wife's Mountaineer is 150k miles but I had it serviced at half that mileage. Putting a fresh filter on, cleaning the gunk off the magnet, and getting fresh fluid in there is worth the price of admission to me. Whether or not it will pay off is yet to be determined but I dont feel comfortable running those kind of miles on the same fluid.

I do the same with differential oil. They call it lifetime fill in the Mountaineer, yet I will change both at 100k miles to get any wear metals out and fresh fluid in. It certainly can't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Speaking of Laughing:

The "Filled for Life" folks Laugh all the way to the Bank as customers unknowingly neglect their transmissions and then pay through the nose for a replacement that should not have been needed had Old School Maintenance been performed.

Often it's the second owner who is left paying the bill for the first owner's lack of maintenance.

Other than conjecture, no one has or is able to answer the question of whether or not regular ATF changes will extend the life of the transmission. My two Toyota trannies are over 200k miles on the factory fill. They both work fine. If they stop working fine, I'll do a drain and fill.

All the "experts" on here say to change the fluid. All the real experts that own shops tell me to let it be. Someone needs to be the control group for a scientific study, that will be me. I'm not changing it out. Well, other than the 700mL I already changed out to send a sample to Blackstone.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Other than conjecture, no one has or is able to answer the question of whether or not regular ATF changes will extend the life of the transmission. My two Toyota trannies are over 200k miles on the factory fill. They both work fine. If they stop working fine, I'll do a drain and fill.

All the "experts" on here say to change the fluid. All the real experts that own shops tell me to let it be. Someone needs to be the control group for a scientific study, that will be me. I'm not changing it out. Well, other than the 700mL I already changed out to send a sample to Blackstone.

I hope you requested TAN from Blackstone or you are wasting your $$. Better yet Polaris who gives oxidation also. TBN/TAN is the condition of the additives while oxidation is the condition of the base lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back