Amsoil ATF question - Jeep ZF 948TE

Where is the evidence that Amsoil will stand behind their product?

Have there been any cases where the warranty was denied because of the use of Amsoil, and Amsoil covered the cost of the repair?
1) Yes. It is a written warranty. Examples: Direct knowledge of Amsoil buying a Toyota sludge engine owner (years ago) a replacement engine when person attempted an extended drain interval. To me, Amsoil didn't have to do this because nature of the engine. Amsoil did change their recommendations after that, so fair. Another case in 2021 a customer of mine bought MTF for their truck and shifting was very notchy and difficult, Amsoil fully refunded his money.

2) I have never in 23 years seen or been involved with a single case where a dealer tried to "deny a warranty" (really deny a claim) . It is more of a lore worry than it is made out to be.

Amsoil ATF will not void your warranty. Telling people otherwise may not be in their best interest either.

In this particular situation, I don't think @LeakySeals has actually posted what warranty remains.
This is a serious gray area. OE's usually do not do a fluid analysis in the event of a failure, but showing up with bright-red ATF when the OE fill is supposed to be green is the equivalent of having a target on your back.

The potential for a finger-pointing match is real and while the fluid may not always be the cause of failure, from a ease of doing business standpoint, it makes the most sense to avoid the potential for this situation while being in-warranty. On a semi-related note, this is a reason why ExxonMobil recommends staying with OE drain intervals while a vehicle is still in-warranty.

This is a serious gray area. OE's usually do not do a fluid analysis in the event of a failure, but showing up with bright-red ATF when the OE fill is supposed to be green is the equivalent of having a target on your back.

The potential for a finger-pointing match is real and while the fluid may not always be the cause of failure, from a ease of doing business standpoint, it makes the most sense to avoid the potential for this situation while being in-warranty. On a semi-related note, this is a reason why ExxonMobil recommends staying with OE drain intervals while a vehicle is still in-warranty.
It's a gray area to some perhaps.

It is serious for sure. The potential of automobile dealers trying to weasel out of almost everything is real. People should be aware. I've been interacting with car dealers since 1975, and I know the gamut.

I would say if the transmission in your car is prone to infant mortality, by all means stick with OE fluids for the first years of warranty.

It is serious for sure. The potential of automobile dealers trying to weasel out of almost everything is real. People should be aware. I've been interacting with car dealers since 1975, and I know the gamut.
The landscape has changed a little. Some manufacturers are requiring Tech Line approval for certain large repairs, so it may not be the dealer's decision in those situations.

I believe Amsoil has the same recommendation.

Thanks for the input. It helped me decide what to do for now. I went with Pentosin 9. A full syn created for ZF 9spd transmissions. Slightly thicker viscosity. And… its green. I have an extended warranty, so I don’t want any conflict right or wrong. It’s been two weeks since the first drain and fill. So far it’s been great. Much better performance in the cold. Less of the harsh fifth speed dog clutch shift that was really bothering me. It’s not bogging down like it was before. It seems to shift more freely. Going to do another drain and fill next week. This is what the 50k Mopar factory fluid looked like. It’s consistency was super thin. Not very viscous almost like water. Tiny specks of something in the drain pan nothing on the drainbolt.

Attachments

• 15491E07-0552-49C2-B499-351368D8F2C2.jpeg
    15491E07-0552-49C2-B499-351368D8F2C2.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 42AF30E0-31D6-49C7-828E-82B24CD44F45.jpeg
    42AF30E0-31D6-49C7-828E-82B24CD44F45.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 26
  • CFC1E571-B7EE-467E-AEBE-A147E1E00BD7.jpeg
    CFC1E571-B7EE-467E-AEBE-A147E1E00BD7.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 25
I had a vehicle come in with a zf based 8 speed in a charger or challenger from another shop with an issue. It had red fluid in it. It was not warranted right then and there.

It would have been on someone else’s dime if they wanted to try to take on some corporate lawyers for that. I’ve been to court once in 29 years for one of those situations. Customer lost to fwiw

Now oil all the same color. Pretty unlikely, but have had aftermarket warranty claims denied if there was a receipt with the incorrect atf or spec oil used

I would just go in with OEM fluid while under warranty. You can play the Amsoil game after. No need for you to be holding the bag for a replacement tranny using amsoil . Nothing against Amsoil but these companies be claiming all types of stuff and when things go south they have a teams of lawyers ready to deny you .

Update. The transmission fluid change didn’t change the harsh ZF9 5th gear shifting problems very much. I took it to the dealer and they updated the TCM/PCM firmware and then a “Proxi alignment” for the modules. That solved the majority of the shifting problems. But it still does some weird things at times.

Back