Jaguar XJ-8 6 speed (ZF) automatic transmission fluid recommendations

Why not just get ZF Lifeguard 6?
Tell me why. Is it better than the Amsoil option? From what I have seen, ZF Lifeguard 6 is very hard to find in Canada and very expensive. The cheapest price I've located in Canada is $37.75/L. I can buy Amsoil ATLPK for about $23.00/quart.
Off the top of my head, that's something like a 55% premium for ZF Lifeguard 6. Is it worth it?

Hi,

I'm buying a mint 2005 XJ-8 (X350) Vanden Plas. It only has 80,000 km (49,720 miles) on it, but after 18 years I figure a transmission fluid change is in order. I was going to use Amsoil:

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient 100% Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

PRODUCT CODE: ATLPK-EA

Everybody good with this, or does someone think I should go with a different option?
Cheers
Why not Mercon SP or MaxLife or LifeGuard 6? These are all cheaper than Amsoil.

Why not Mercon SP or MaxLife or LifeGuard 6? These are all cheaper than Amsoil.
When I used a Canadian fluid search tool (Canadian Tire), it indicated that none of their commonly available products were suitable for this application. Canadian Tire sells MaxLife, as well as every other major brand, so my understanding was that the ZF 6 HP box needed a more specialized fluid. As you can see in my post above (#3), Amsoil is substantially cheaper in Edmonton, Canada than LifeGuard 6.

When I used a Canadian fluid search tool (Canadian Tire), it indicated that none of their commonly available products were suitable for this application. Canadian Tire sells MaxLife, as well as every other major brand, so my understanding was that the ZF 6 HP box needed a more specialized fluid. As you can see in my post above (#3), Amsoil is substantially cheaper in Edmonton, Canada than LifeGuard 6.
It's suitable per Valvoline. LG6 clones have been around for awhile. Liqui Moly, Ravenol, etc sell them.

What about Mercon SP?

It's suitable per Valvoline. LG6 clones have been around for awhile. Liqui Moly, Ravenol, etc sell them.

What about Mercon SP?
Mercon SP isn't as commonly available here as the others. It is mostly a dealer item. If MaxLife is a good alternative, I'd probably go with that.
That said, living in the land of -30c and lower, I'm still tempted by Amsoil Signature Series. It appears to have a pour point of -53c vs -40c for the Valvoline.

Why am I reading/seeing everywhere (except BITOG forums) that I MUST use LifeGuard 6 fluid in this Jag/ZF box?

for cheaper canadian products:
Canadian Tire Motomaster MultiATF LV is Irving TransFLO LV, which will work.

The older CT product:

Is Citgo Transgard:

which is also spec'd for 6HP/8HP

Also Petro Canada Duradrive LV MV ATF, spec'd for 6HP

Also, the "OEM" brand by Recochem has a MultiVehicle LV that is spec'd for 6HP:

there's plenty of local products that are much cheaper and proven to work with 6HP

Last edited:
Why am I reading/seeing everywhere (except BITOG forums) that I MUST use LifeGuard 6 fluid in this Jag/ZF box?

Because someone's Uncles cats Mothers owner probably put some Valvoline Maxlife in a ZF6 once because the ZF6 was already 'playing-up' and when it died 6 weeks later it was entirely the Maxlifes fault.

I can say from experience that ZF 6HP & 8HP's are not at all fussy.

I changed the atf fluid in my 2007 A6 Quattro zf6hp this summer with maxlife after much internal debate. It shifted fine before and after. I will use maxlife again for the next drain and fill next summer.

I changed the atf fluid in my 2007 A6 Quattro zf6hp this summer with maxlife after much internal debate. It shifted fine before and after. I will use maxlife again for the next drain and fill next summer.
I finally gave in and drained the factory fill, and replaced it with 4L of Maxlife. I've driven 300km so far, all seems good.
I don't have a heated garage, so I'll drive on this partial fill until the next "warm" day and then I'll replace the pan/filter.
Since I already have it, the next fill will be with Amsoil.

Last edited:
Back