Amsoil ATF question - Jeep ZF 948TE

I want to change the ATF in the 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 50k. I don’t like the way it behaves when it’s cold and other times. I sent an email to Amsoil and they recommended “OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid” which has been tested in the ZF 948TE. Before I purchase this, I would like to know what the difference between OE and the “Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid” is. And if they are interchangeable.

Thanks

If under warranty, I wouldn't use either.

ZF is ectoplasma green and I wouldn't want the dealer to see red ATF in there if there was a failure.

The 9 speed is quirky. You just live with it.

I would use the OE fluid or greenish equivalent. Its expensive at $110+/gallon(from Mopar/Honda/Ravenol...).

Sometimes a cranky transmission just needs a fluid exchange or software patch. Verify also bulletins/campaigns/recalls for your VIN to rule out known problems.

Since the datasheets for both cover basically the same spec's, I would use them interchangeably. But, its not the proper shade of GatoradeKoolaid

Last edited:
There was a person on the JL Wrangler forums who had a transmission problem and the warranty was denied because he used Amsoil. IMHO, it is not worth it. Just use ZF Lifeguard 9 if you don't want to pay the prices at the dealer.

@LeakySeals - I have bought several gallons of ZF Lifeguard 8 for my 850RE transmission from this ebay seller. 100% legitimate and great service:

Here are comparison stats I gathered. One ATF I had not considered was Maxlife multi. It is surprisingly close (on paper) to ZF 8 and 9. And there appears to be a difference between the two Amsoil products. Do these numbers even matter?

Maxlife Multi ATF
cSt@40*C - 28
cSt@100*C - 5.9
VI - 163

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Amsoil Fuel efficient OE
cSt@40*C - 29.7
cSt@100*C - 5.9
VI - 148

Amsoil Fuel efficient SS
cSt@40*C - 30.8
cSt@100*C - 6.3
VI - 161

ZF lif guard 8 (Mopar 8 and 9?)
cSt@40*C - 26
cSt@100*C - 5.6
VI - 163

ZF lifeguard 9
cSt@40*C - ?
cSt@100*C - 5.4 - 5.8
VI - ?

I want to change the ATF in the 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 50k. I don’t like the way it behaves when it’s cold and other times. I sent an email to Amsoil and they recommended “OE Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid” which has been tested in the ZF 948TE. Before I purchase this, I would like to know what the difference between OE and the “Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid” is. And if they are interchangeable.

Thanks
The difference is the base oil. OE uses Group III. SS uses various PAO's and esters.

If someone's warranty was denied because of using either of these fluids, those facts need to be given to Amsoil ASAP. But usually these claims turn out to be interweb lore.

If someone's warranty was denied because of using either of these fluids, those facts need to be given to Amsoil ASAP. But usually these claims turn out to be interweb lore.
The guy in the Wrangler forum is legitimate and I can see it happening because all the dealer need say is you are using an unapproved fluid. Additionally, even if Amsoil were to "jump right in" on a denied warranty claim is it really worth it to save $6 per quart? In the end, the owner would be left between a rock and a hard place in the interim while the claim was decided whereas using approved fluid would remove that from the equation.

I like and use Amsoil products (as you know), but there are times when (such as when a warranty is involved) it does not make sense to use it or any unapproved fluid for the miniscule savings in cost.

The guy in the Wrangler forum is legitimate and I can see it happening because all the dealer need say is you are using an unapproved fluid. Additionally, even if Amsoil were to "jump right in" on a denied warranty claim is it really worth it to save $6 per quart? In the end, the owner would be left between a rock and a hard place in the interim while the claim was decided whereas using approved fluid would remove that from the equation.

I like and use Amsoil products (as you know), but there are times when (such as when a warranty is involved) it does not make sense to use it or any unapproved fluid for the miniscule savings in cost.
Is the transmission actually failing because of the fluid choice? I doubt it. If the fluid was the actual problem, I want to be clear Amsoil will stand behind that. If the fluid did not cause the problem Amsoil will hold dealer accountable.

What was the warranty claim for?

Same problem, factory fluid - does not always mean a dealer will just bend over. Actually laughable.

The difference is the base oil. OE uses Group III. SS uses various PAO's and esters.

Thanks. The reason for this post was because OE was the only recommendation. I would prefer to use SS. I want to get a couple gallons.

Is the transmission actually failing because of the fluid choice? I doubt it. If the fluid was the actual problem, I want to be clear Amsoil will stand behind that. If the fluid did not cause the problem Amsoil will hold dealer accountable.

Same problem, factory fluid - does not always mean a dealer will just bend over. Actually laughable.
I don't recall of the details, but the issue that brought him in was it was slipping and when they saw the Amsoil they denied the warranty.

I don't recall of the details, but the issue that brought him in was it was slipping and when they saw the Amsoil they denied the warranty.
I think I found it. The guy that mysteriously got glycol in his transmission. And then tried to swap the fluid out with Amsoil. But it was too late. And then the dealer void the warranty. But then reinstated it. That guy?

I think I found it. The guy that mysteriously got glycol in his transmission. And then tried to swap the fluid out with Amsoil. But it was too late. And then the dealer void the warranty. But then reinstated it. That guy?
No; if memory serves, this guy did a early change, used Amsoil, and some thousands of miles later it started slipping (I'm sure the Amsoil had nothing to do with that). But when they inspected it and saw it had Amsoil (red) instead of ZF or Mopar 8&9 (pale green), they denied the warranty to replace it. He ended up buying one from Rubitrux that was a low mileage unit from a hemi conversion and replaced it himself.

Would the warranty have been honored if he had used an approved fluid? Who knows...but it is practically a guarantee that it would not be honored by using an unapproved fluid.

Even if initially denied, and later approved, the owner is stuck in the middle and both of the vendors have much deeper pockets than the average owner. For certain things, from my perspective, it is not worth the cost savings versus the risk--but that is just me.

Last edited:
I bought it used. What went on before I purchased it I have no idea lol. That’s all I’m gonna say if I was ever challenged on that. But seriously. Leaving my driveway on a cold morning I need to be able to get it in gear quicker and shift. I can’t be rolling backward and then clunking into gears until it warms up.

Last edited:

In a perfect world, you are correct. But the real world is not, and your described scenario rarely works out to be true.

If you are looking out for the best interest of your customers, you should advise them to stay with the OE fluid until warranty expiration.

In a perfect world, you are correct. But the real world is not, and your described scenario rarely works out to be true.

If you are looking out for the best interest of your customers, you should advise them to stay with the OE fluid until warranty expiration.
Amsoil ATF will not void your warranty. Telling people otherwise may not be in their best interest either.

In this particular situation, I don't think @LeakySeals has actually posted what warranty remains.

Where is the evidence that Amsoil will stand behind their product?

Have there been any cases where the warranty was denied because of the use of Amsoil, and Amsoil covered the cost of the repair?

Back