Automatic emergency braking literally saved my cars tail from a brick wall.

It did what it was designed to do. I guess we are such in a hurry we can't slow down anymore and let someone turn. We have to go around because our lives are so busy...apparently.

You are more than welcome to drive like how you want to drive. Others are more than welcome to. You've also claimed you've gotten 26mpg in a 5.3l Silverado driving freeway speeds so your opinion doesn't mean much either unfortunately.

You are more than welcome to drive like how you want to drive. Others are more than welcome to. You've also claimed you've gotten 26mpg in a 5.3l Silverado driving freeway speeds so your opinion doesn't mean much either unfortunately.
Yes-you can get 25mpg all day long in a Silverado with the AFM activated at 70mph. I have owned three of those trucks-now many have you owned?

I was about 5-6' away still, going about 10-15mph matching their speed.
In that scenario it would activate. It did not detect any slowing...it activated. You were too close. That situation was an accident waiting to happen-should the car in front of you (abruptly) slow even further.

You reflexes wouldn't have been fast enough. This is a perfect example how many view their driving skills on here.

Last edited:
The side radar in my wife's prius is nice when backing out of a parking space surrounded by hulking, huge SUVs. The rear camera only points rearward.

My car, and maybe hers, beeps with a giant red "stop" banner when I'm closing on someone rapidly. Thankfully it's not too sensitive. Only got triggered a couple times when a truck was turning left, albeit still in my lane, and I had a path around it.

The side radar in my wife's prius is nice when backing out of a parking space surrounded by hulking, huge SUVs. The rear camera only points rearward.

My car, and maybe hers, beeps with a giant red "stop" banner when I'm closing on someone rapidly. Thankfully it's not too sensitive. Only got triggered a couple times when a truck was turning left, albeit still in my lane, and I had a path around it.

Is this an older model? Most of the newer rear cameras have a wider vision. In the scenario you mentioned they are invaluable.

Yes-you can get 25mpg all day long in a Silverado with the AFM activated at 70mph. I have owned three of those trucks-now many have you owned?
I've owned two of them. My buddy has also owned two of them. Neither one came even close to 20mpg, let alone 25mpg, at anything above 60 so no.

In that scenario it would activate. It did not detect any slowing...it activated. You were too close. That situation was an accident waiting to happen-should the car in front of you (abruptly) slow even further.

You reflexes wouldn't have been fast enough. This is a perfect example how many view their driving skills on here.

Yeah, no, we were already slowing down for them to turn. I was trying to go around them as they were 50%+ into their turn. There was 0% chance for a collision, hence me starting to go around them. Sorry, you're simply wrong, yet again, like usual.

Yeah, no, we were already slowing down for them to turn. I was trying to go around them as they were 50%+ into their turn. There was 0% chance for a collision, hence me starting to go around them. Sorry, you're simply wrong, yet again, like usual.
Yea- your an expert driver-hence the 0% chance of collision.

Yea- your an expert driver-hence the 0% chance of collision.

When someone is turning right into a parking lot that has curbed concrete areas, the odds of them doing a U-turn and turning back 180* then turning another 90* is 0%, yes. I'm sorry you're not a good driver but don't project onto others because you can't drive very well. You have no idea the driving history or experience other people have.

When someone is turning right into a parking lot that has curbed concrete areas, the odds of them doing a U-turn and turning back 180* then turning another 90* is 0%, yes. I'm sorry you're not a good driver but don't project onto others because you can't drive very well. You have no idea the driving history or experience other people have.
If there was zero chance the computer wouldn't have activated. Just let it go. Have a GREAT evening!

Backing into a customer pick up space ('22 Q7) with foot on the brake, and not paying attention, the car slammed to a stop about 4 feet from a brick wall. I thought I'd hit something, so I got out with my tail between my legs, but found nothing.

I wonder what the % drop in accidents invovling getting rear-ended is/how it is trending as more and more vehicles on the road get these features...I'd say it has to drop. It's prevented me from hitting someone before. I wish I could afford new vechicles for my children with this/these passive safety features. It does have some quirks and like anything, you "drive around" them/understand them to minimize issues.

I wonder what the % drop in accidents invovling getting rear-ended is/how it is trending as more and more vehicles on the road get these features...I'd say it has to drop. It's prevented me from hitting someone before. I wish I could afford new vechicles for my children with this/these passive safety features. It does have some quirks and like anything, you "drive around" them/understand them to minimize issues.

They should definitely reduce accidents. If anyone is against these systems because they infringe on their type of driving then perhaps they should stop and think that the problem is not with the systems.

They should definitely reduce accidents. If anyone is against these systems because they infringe on their type of driving then perhaps they should stop and think that the problem is not with the systems.
100% and you know...you can always jsut turn it off b/c turning off being more safe b/c you are such a rad driver is really the way go...largest roll-eyes ever....

From a large-scale fleet safety management standpoint, there isn't enough data to show that these features move the needle in a measurable way. At least not enough to justify equipping smaller commercial fleet vehicles with them.

I drove a ford fusion rental years ago when I was dating my wife. I was new to the area and checking my phone for directions on the freeway. The fusion beeped loudly at me and activated the brakes all on its own. It spared me from colliding with a slow car ahead of me. That’s one case where my ranting against modern day tech was proven asinine.

No, it was me going around the car and auto braking decided it should go off. The car behind me saw that I was going too so it started to accelerate but then braking decided to slam the brakes and they almost rear-ended me.
Did you signal your lane change? Shouldn't that have 'cancelled' the automatic braking? Just wondering. My newest vehicle is a 2008 so the only time I drive something nicer is when I travel for work and get a rental.

edit: Or maybe signaling a lane change only works with adaptive cruise control?

Last edited:
somebody cut me off on the freeway the other day, they merged into my lane with less than a foot between the front of my car and the back of their car. i braked to get following distance but im afraid that if i had slammed on the brakes i might have been rear ended. i think automatic braking is good enough for 99% of the stuff that goes on on the highway but there's a downside to everything

Back