Auto-RX Results - first cleaning cycle (not good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Probably...

PP or PU for 25,000 or 2 years, then re-picture post OR kreen it.

Nothing much to be said but it 'did' do 'something' even pre-rinse. From the pics I saw anyway, but it may be some lighting too. The afters look somewhat better, if only 10% or so. I did QA/QC for like 2 years, I'm uber technical but otherwise I agree with others:

It's mostly metal staining, and that is the hardest darned thing for any cleaner to remove 1 swing at it, even the best of them(and I'm not considering the product in question 'the best' because it isnt at staining AFAIK). Still, you got something. Post post-rinse and compare again, but kinda harsh on ARx for this one, JMO.

Maybe try Kreen next after the rinse phase?
wink.gif

I've posted many times Amsoil flush will not remove stains. It's for sludge removal and removal of your old oil.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Hmmm.... i didn't think it was THAT important for the rinse cycle to be done.

I'm no AutoRx defender........Actually it's the most important phase. It's been posted here many times. Nice pics, but you really didn't follow the instructions.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I don't have weeks months or years to wait.

We use Kreen. Cleans right now, cleans like nothing else!

+1

Hopefully I'll have results to post once my brother's boat is in the water for a while. We treated it with Kreen late in the season just after buying it. We ran it for about 8 or so hours and there was a noticeable darkening of the oil. We drained it and winterized the engine, and will continue with the Kreen at some point this season. It does work well, and fast.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Probably...

PP or PU for 25,000 or 2 years, then re-picture post OR kreen it.

I don't buy into Pennzoil's super duper cleaning power. I doubt the gentle extra cleaning additives will clean the block when so many cleaner additives couldn't.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Maybe try Kreen next after the rinse phase?
wink.gif

I'm willing to try it next, sure.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I've posted many times Amsoil flush will not remove stains. It's for sludge removal and removal of your old oil.

Yea i figured that after looking under the valve cover post 3 applications.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
OP, try these tests again (different intervals of course)with a real cleaner like B12 or SeaFoam.

Bet you get the desired results.

I got a can of SeaFoam in the garage. Will try that next. I just don't like the fact that it thins down the oil. I'll have to dilute it with some 10w40 (vs using the 5w30 i've been using).

Not sure about B12. I'll have to do some research on it.

OP, try these tests again (different intervals of course)with a real cleaner like B12 or SeaFoam.

After reading more, nevermind.

Why not? Please explain.

After reading more, nevermind.

Why not? Please explain.

I don't see it cleaning the stains very well for the short miles it can actually be in there (what, 100 miles?)

I'm guilty of doing 1500 mile SeaFoam treatments on my car (through the booster to get to my valves). So I do have SF in there for about 1500 miles BUT not a 1/3 of a can as the instructions tell you on a crankcase treatment but a little DOES get in there but not a 1/3 of the can... Maybe a fraction at best (I have no proof but in 40K on my Speed it runs like a beast with PU 5-30 and I have done compression/leak down tests with good results)

It does burn off with time IMHO. I just can't see it working for every car and I don't condone doing what I do.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Nope, your post didn't help one bit.

SeaFoam says you can use it for the whole duration of your OCI. It technically shouldn't hurt anything and just keep cleaning along the way, like Auto-RX does.

I don't know what i'll do next. I have 3,400 miles worth to decide on the next step. I simply want to experiment with various products to find something that will clean the varnish ever so slightly and get the hard to reach buildup in certain areas as seen in the pics.

My son bought a 2000 Camry 4 cylinder sludger a few years ago. We used Seafoam in it and the oil came out filthy. It has only seen M-1 5w-30 in it since he got it and it is fine. What more should we want? I have seen Seafoam clean the varnish off the dip stick. To me this means it is cleaning the varnish elsewhere too.

Honestly, in the case of the OP, I don't see what his complaint is, either about the varnish or the amount of cleaning he got from AutoRX. I would not use it, but it does say it is a slow cleaner and anyone could see that it cleaned.

Here is the real problem with getting good before/after pictures.

Somebody who goes through all the trouble of taking the valve cover off will not have the willpower to NOT do the manual cleaning if he were to find dirty engine. Unless somebody uses passive inspection method such as boroscope, the person will NOT just button up and add the magic elixir for the sake of scientific study. He has too much emotional involvement in it. Not many of us have capable boroscope. Besides, some of the engines have baffle at the oil filler making their usage impossible.

There are some stunning testimonials on the flavor of the month cleaners here and I have no doubt that those are honest and true. It is the results that count. Pictures would make others in to believers but the guy who used the elixir was happy with the usage and had all the indirect indication that it cleaned his engine.

Having said that, many of the respected members have realized that varnish removal is pretty much impossible with any cleaner which gets added to the oil.

If you really want to do scientific study of varnish removal, now is your chance. Your sample really is not suitable for engine cleaning but is a prime candidate for varnish removal. I wish you all the success. From what I know, "Kreen" might have a slight chance of reducing that varnish but not very likely.

- Vikas

Thank you for the informative post, Vikas.

As much as i was temped to go in there with a tooth brush and some acetone and scrub the living varnish outta the heads, that's not my main goal here. I don't want to be scrubbing my client's engine blocks who have some buildup going on, prior to coming to me for all their automotive maintenance needs. I want a cleaner that will safely and EFFECTIVELY clean things up as they drive along.

I will finish this current cleaning cycle with Auto-RX in 400 miles (3k total) and do the rinse cycle as is recommended. I'll re-examine the condition and take better AFTER pics to show any difference.

From there i'll move on to another cleaner (most likely Kreen, since that's what most of you are recommending) and hope for some results... The car is used for business travel so the miles tend to rack up quick.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
How many times do folks have to be told.

A snake oil is a snake oil is a snake oil.

Take your pick, MMO, AutoRX, LucasWhatever, all do nothing except pick your wallet legally.
wink.gif

really??? because ive had pretty good luck with kreen and mmo for varnish.

Originally Posted By: Topo
Originally Posted By: Topo
I would say it did really nothing at all, engine didn't look sludge up at all anyways, maybe ARXS isn't a good varnish cleaner nor is Amsoil product.

If it's designed to eat through sludge, i'd think that the chemicals should be able to chew through a little varnish / MINOR build up.

You would think so, but maybe that varnish(staining) is deep in the pores of the metal and just won't come out very well. Overall nice engine with or without the engine cleaners..Good Job! taking care of it.

Perhaps... I got nothing better to do so i want to find a cleaner that will remove the varnish / minor build up.

For a supposed sludge engine, it looks good, i agree. The synthetic oils i've been using since the car was new have definitely done their job... for the most part.

Maybe the poor step child of additives, Marvel Mystery Oil would do the best job, LMAO..Now wouldn't that be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back