Auto-RX in an XR400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 XR400 that I recently bought used. I don't know how many miles are on it, as it doesn't have an odometer. If some other parts of this bike are any indication, it has received questionable maintenance from the previous owner(s).

I'm wondering if it would be a good and worthwhile idea to run some auto-rx through it. Basically, I'm looking to clean up the motor/tranny to extend its life and hopefully see an increase in compression (not that there is any noticeable compression deficit at the moment).

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother, I would just run a good synthetic like Amsoil or Motul if I thought it needed cleaning. If it were mine I probably would just run Rotella 15w40 though.

Originally Posted By: AVB
I wouldn't bother, I would just run a good synthetic like Amsoil or Motul if I thought it needed cleaning. If it were mine I probably would just run Rotella 15w40 though.

I'm currently running Delo 400 15W40 in it, and when that's done, there's an unopened gallon of Rotella T 15W40 lined up. I think I change my oil too often to warrant an expensive synthetic, though I am considering using the Rotella T6 when the temp drops this fall.

So you don't think Auto-RX would increase compression at all, or significantly extend engine life?

Originally Posted By: youngbuck

So you don't think Auto-RX would increase compression at all, or significantly extend engine life?
No

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No

I don't believe any thing added to the oil is going to increase compression, and a XR that is not abused or neglected should run forever.

I think Delo would be fine also, I didn't recomend it because I have not seen a mention of JASO ratings on the label. Lots of people use it and I have never seen anyone complain about it.

Last edited:

I don't believe any thing added to the oil is going to increase compression, and a XR that is not abused or neglected should run forever.

I think Delo would be fine also, I didn't recomend it because I have not seen a mention of JASO ratings on the label. Lots of people use it and I have never seen anyone complain about it.

Ok, thanks. If my idea that an oil additive could increase compression sounds kinda stupid, it's because Auto-RX says so in their marketing spiel: "Auto-Rx® cleans the ring packs, restores compression, improves combustion, and helps keep your motorcycle out of the shop."

Figured I'd ask if it had a chance to help anything.

cheers3.gif

Ok, thanks. If my idea that an oil additive could increase compression sounds kinda stupid, it's because Auto-RX says so in their marketing spiel: "Auto-Rx® cleans the ring packs, restores compression, improves combustion, and helps keep your motorcycle out of the shop."

cheers3.gif

Compression readings can change just by changing the way you do the test. Shoot board member Trav a PM he's quite knowledgeable when it comes to bikes, maybe he can point you in the right direction.

cheers3.gif

If your rings are sticking and need cleaning, a piston soak would be much more effective than an oil additive. If you don't feel a loss in compression and you're not smoking or burning oil, then I would not worry about it.

cheers3.gif

If your rings are sticking and need cleaning, a piston soak would be much more effective than an oil additive. If you don't feel a loss in compression and you're not smoking or burning oil, then I would not worry about it.

+1

Originally Posted By: Blaze
get a valve adj if you have not already...I have a 2003. Reliable bikes. Running John Deere 15-40 in mine.

Yea, I plan on having the valves adjusted within the next several months. I have a friend who is a motorcycle mechanic and he said he'll do it for me. I've never done it before, so I'll let him do it and I'll watch/learn.

I'm working out of town..when I get back I'll send you some links...lots of info and tricks to get your Xr running really good...suspension tricks too mainly dealing with the valve stack in the front forks. makes the forks way more supple over small bumps, rocks etc

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I'm working out of town..when I get back I'll send you some links...lots of info and tricks to get your Xr running really good...suspension tricks too mainly dealing with the valve stack in the front forks. makes the forks way more supple over small bumps, rocks etc

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that!

I'd just use any HDEO on a 500-1000 mile OCI. Buy some filters in bulk. My vintage Suzuki's oil stayed fairly clean after a handful of changes. You were given very good advice on the valves... I hope you were listening!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back