Auto RX - Conventional oil rec for 2001 BMW 330 Ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put my 2001 BMW 330 CiC through an Auto RX regimen and for that need to switch to a good dino oil. BMW requires BMW 5W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 as the only oils that meet BMW LL specs in the US. Since I cannot use the synthetic with Auto RX I need a recomemndation what brand and type of oil as well as what viscosity to use.
Thank you!!

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Use a Group III synthetic.

Like which?? Not up which are widely available G III OTC oils ...

Let's see, PP, Castrol Syntec are a couple that come to mind. Synthetic is required for long (manufacturer recommended) oil changes. Conventional will be fine for 3-4k miles with Auto-rx. I put 18oz. ARX in with 10W-40 Quaker State in a 98 740i with 102k miles a few days ago. They will bring the car back to me at 105k, and I will put in 2 gallons Rotella 15W-40 and a new filter and send them out for another 3-4k miles. Their M62 engine does better with a XW-40 in it overall. For your engine, you could get mostly Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and mix in a quart or two of 10W-40 or just get some Syntec 5W-40 if you want to stay with one grade. I say 3-4k miles on synthetic is a waste and would run the ARX at least 5000 miles (just me) with synthetic group III synthetic oil. Same with the rinse and group III syn oil. Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is a group III synthetic and would work as well during clean or rinse with ARX, esp in hot weather.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on oil during your rinse and clean, just get 5 quarts 5W-30, and 2 quarts of 10W-40 conventional Castrol GTX which is known to work well with ARX chemistry. If in the summer, perhaps use 10W-30 and a couple quarts of 10W-40. This mix will give you the higher viscosity SAE 30 at operating temp that works well in these engines for a 3000 mile interval while working with Auto-Rx. Simple and safe. Done it several times with great results.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Let's see, PP, Castrol Syntec are a couple that come to mind. Synthetic is required for long (manufacturer recommended) oil changes. Conventional will be fine for 3-4k miles with Auto-rx. I put 18oz. ARX in with 10W-40 Quaker State in a 98 740i with 102k miles a few days ago. They will bring the car back to me at 105k, and I will put in 2 gallons Rotella 15W-40 and a new filter and send them out for another 3-4k miles. Their M62 engine does better with a XW-40 in it overall. For your engine, you could get mostly Castrol Syntec 5W-30 and mix in a quart or two of 10W-40 or just get some Syntec 5W-40 if you want to stay with one grade. I say 3-4k miles on synthetic is a waste and would run the ARX at least 5000 miles (just me) with synthetic group III synthetic oil. Same with the rinse and group III syn oil. Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is a group III synthetic and would work as well during clean or rinse with ARX, esp in hot weather.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on oil during your rinse and clean, just get 5 quarts 5W-30, and 2 quarts of 10W-40 conventional Castrol GTX which is known to work well with ARX chemistry. If in the summer, perhaps use 10W-30 and a couple quarts of 10W-40. This mix will give you the higher viscosity SAE 30 at operating temp that works well in these engines for a 3000 mile interval while working with Auto-Rx. Simple and safe. Done it several times with great results.

Thank you !! Really good advice from an expert and practitioner. I actually think that BMW advises to use straight 10W-40 dino if BMW LL oils are not available. I think I am going to go with the Castrol GTX for 5000 miles with ARX and then a 5000 miles rinse cycle with the same oil. then go back to my trusty M1 0W-40 for good.

I have many years expetrience with RX. You want an oil with zero ester content and no PAO if possible. Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 met those requirements and is what I have in my BMW, currently doing rinse phase. I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Platinum 5W40 is rebadged Helix Ultra but you shoud check with Pennzoil. Even rejuvenated the VANOS seals and the rattle has gone. Good luck...s

Actually for 5000 miles clean and same for rinse, use a group III synthetic like Rotella 5W-40, Castrol Syntec 5W-40 or 10W-40. These are all readily available group III-based syn that work well with ARX. Conventional for 5000 miles ok if lots of highway or engine not terribly dirty inside, otherwise, stick to directions and go about 3000 miles each phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back