Auto-rx and Rislone Compression Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, take a look at the price of this stuff on google shopping:

http://www.google.com/products?q=rislone...m=1&sa=N&tab=wf

It's NOT cheap. If they insist you use a bottle every oil change, yes, that's going to outpace "other products" pretty quickly.

But to go back to the OP, I don't see anything in Rislone's info that indicates it would interfer with Auto-RX. But basically, again, from Rislone's info, the end result of adding this product to your engine oil would be to turn it into the equivalent of a an HDEO 15W40 or thicker. A cheaper alternative would be to just buy an HDEO. Then you're not out the $10 or so extra and you can still run arx if you want.

Brian, I'm sorry if that was the way you read my post. Certainly there have been many reports of good results with AutoRx as well as Restore. It's not Kool Aid at all. You had a very informative post and you're right - the facts don't lie. My response was actually directed to Rick's post that the only product that was shown to give results in this area was Auto Rx. It's been shown to work well for evening out compression and so has restore, that's all I was trying to say. Also, I wasn't saying restore was cheap or ARX was expensive or vice versa, just that price point and popularity are not data that show effectiveness.

We're all here for the same purpose, to help another BITOGer out.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Brian, I'm sorry if that was the way you read my post. Certainly there have been many reports of good results with AutoRx as well as Restore. It's not Kool Aid at all. You had a very informative post and you're right - the facts don't lie. My response was actually directed to Rick's post that the only product that was shown to give results in this area was Auto Rx. It's been shown to work well for evening out compression and so has restore, that's all I was trying to say. Also, I wasn't saying restore was cheap or ARX was expensive or vice versa, just that price point and popularity are not data that show effectiveness.

We're all here for the same purpose, to help another BITOGer out.
10.gif

blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

Sorry!

48.gif

By the way, I DO give kudos to Rislone for providing so much info in their tech spec sheet for this product. Although I think they embelish a little, they do certainly provide you with enough info to determine what this stuff actually is.

Yeah, at least they're honest.

Oil additives are the kings of embellishment. Imagine if every oil additive had to have a disclaimer: "These statements have not been evaluated for truth. Percieved effects using this additive are the same as placebo. Oil additives are not intended to prevent or treat any mechanical condition. If conditions worsen see a qualified mechanic immeadiately." I'm not saying that's the case at all - naturally most of them do something, but reading the back of a bottle of Slick 50 will just about make you sick.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
reading the back of a bottle of Slick 50 will just about make you sick.

Actually it kind of makes me giggle. Then I get mad.
mad.gif
I mean, like Chuck Norris mad
39.gif

Wife had a Vega that burned oil something terrible. I used to pour a quarter quart of Rislone in each cylinder and let it set over a weekend from friday evening till sunday. It would help clean the rings and up the gas mileage also. It was that or a 300 mile run back to her hometown with adding oil at midpoint. I used to use Restore as a bandaid till I built a new motor for an old car I had. It worked well enuff you could tell when you needed more. obtw get a UOA to tell you the difinitive engine condition.

Last edited:
Big difference between Restore and ARX. Restore functionality to filling in cylinder wall scoring, for at least short term. ARX to clean ring packs and allow the originally intended functionality to promote sealing.

Greenaccord02, does that mean we won't be breaking bread this Thanksgiving?

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Wife had a Vega that burned oil something terrible. I used to pour a quarter quart of Rislone in each cylinder and let it set over a weekend from friday evening till sunday. It would help clean the rings and up the gas mileage also. It was that or a 300 mile run back to her hometown with adding oil at midpoint. I used to use Restore as a bandaid till I built a new motor for an old car I had. It worked well enuff you could tell when you needed more. obtw get a UOA to tell you the difinitive engine condition.

I don't think the stuff the OP was inquiring about is the same formula as regular Rislone. Just fyi... It seems to me it's just thick oil with a decent add pack.

Now, as an alternative to Lucas Oil Stabilizer, this stuff sounds great. But why would you use something like that in the first place? It'd only be for a car on it's very last legs were cleaning and degunking the rings did not solve the problem.

If you're ever stuck in that situation, I'd say it would be preferable to run Valvoline Maxlife 20W50 in your crankcase. That way you have an oil formulated to be thick while at the same time much less volitile.

But if you haven't tried degunking the rings and you still want to try and minimize consumption and maximize compression while attempting to clean, I would say to go and buy something like either Valvoline Synpower 20W50 or Mobil1 15W50 and toss in some Auto-rx. Of course, you'd have to make sure you have at most a group III synth in there for the rinse. I think that rules out Synpower and I know it rules out M1. Heck, Supertech makes a good 20W50.

Another possibility that was in vogue here at one time was the Mola soak. It involved mixing a cocktail of a few additives and letting it sit in the cylinders for a period of time. But I never used it and quite honestly don't remember enough about it to speak intelligently. But I am sure the archives are loaded with old threads about it.

But if you already have arx on hand or on order, there's certainly a wealth of data on here to support its effectiveness in restoring compression.

As for Restore, as I said earlier, I used this stuff myself in my old Probe. But I distictly remember a few threads on here discussing it that made me think "Thank goodness I didn't kill my car." Can't quite remember what the deal was, though.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: kaboom10

I was passing on my experience with an oil burner. I'm interested in my sis n law's Alero. It has 85k on it and trying to get some ideas on keeping it running till she gets another car. Now that I think of it the Restore could have gotten into the lifters tight tolerances but didn't. The car was run 50 miles on freeways each day I went to work. I remember seeing the Restore caked into low lying drain areas of the cylinder heads.

I don't think the stuff the OP was inquiring about is the same formula as regular Rislone. Just fyi... It seems to me it's just thick oil with a decent add pack.

Now, as an alternative to Lucas Oil Stabilizer, this stuff sounds great. But why would you use something like that in the first place? It'd only be for a car on it's very last legs were cleaning and degunking the rings did not solve the problem.

If you're ever stuck in that situation, I'd say it would be preferable to run Valvoline Maxlife 20W50 in your crankcase. That way you have an oil formulated to be thick while at the same time much less volitile.

But if you haven't tried degunking the rings and you still want to try and minimize consumption and maximize compression while attempting to clean, I would say to go and buy something like either Valvoline Synpower 20W50 or Mobil1 15W50 and toss in some Auto-rx. Of course, you'd have to make sure you have at most a group III synth in there for the rinse. I think that rules out Synpower and I know it rules out M1. Heck, Supertech makes a good 20W50.

Another possibility that was in vogue here at one time was the Mola soak. It involved mixing a cocktail of a few additives and letting it sit in the cylinders for a period of time. But I never used it and quite honestly don't remember enough about it to speak intelligently. But I am sure the archives are loaded with old threads about it.

But if you already have arx on hand or on order, there's certainly a wealth of data on here to support its effectiveness in restoring compression.

As for Restore, as I said earlier, I used this stuff myself in my old Probe. But I distictly remember a few threads on here discussing it that made me think "Thank goodness I didn't kill my car." Can't quite remember what the deal was, though.

Okay, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I just wanted to make it clear though that we are discussing the Rislone Compression additive. Which, by the way, I had never heard of before this thread.

As for the Alero, well, just b/c it has 85k miles on it doesn't necessarily mean it has issues. Heck, I've bought used cars with 109k miles on them and driven them for many, many more miles. I see lots and lots of Aleros on the road. They must be pretty reliable given they have been discontinued for a while.

I think if you are willing to drop the "coin," an arx cycle would be a good investment. But otherwise, as long as the car has regular maintenence she should expect many more miles from it.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Greenaccord02, does that mean we won't be breaking bread this Thanksgiving?

Not at all, c'mon over and get a turkey leg. We're oil and oil not oil and water.

Thanks, what can I bring. I have always been partial to smoking the Turkey, but seening how you are a in the deep fryer mode, that works for me. Any thoughts on an injection marinate? What do think about clearing up the cartalidge stiffness in those drummies?

It's a well known fact that there is only one injection marinade proven to work time and time again in a deep fried turkey- Tony Chachere's. It penetrates deep to gently loosen stiff cartalige and free sticking joints while providing the perfect Cajun spice. Recommended highly!
thumbsup2.gif

Okay are these last few posts something that the codeine-laced cough syrup is making me imagine?

If not, let your Louisiana friend bring the Tony's. I'll even bring the Cajun Injector. "It puts all the taste in the right place."

crazy2.gif

Thanks Brian WC. I am embarassed to request the used cooking oil to get back to Tampa. I trailor around my processing rig behind the VW diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back