ATF fluid in engine oil crankcase

Again, thanks a lot for your comments, guys. Yeah, that's right, now that I'm missing some ATF, I'll just top it off with my 5W-30

Don't think 1 cup of ATF is enough to lower the viscosity you intended to put in. I'd go ahead and keep driving it until your next OCI. At least you never put P/S fluid into the brake fluid res like I did a few years ago. Good thing I had a MityVac at hand to suck it all out, and that P/S fluid floats.

Don't think 1 cup of ATF is enough to lower the viscosity you intended to put in. I'd go ahead and keep driving it until your next OCI. At least you never put P/S fluid into the brake fluid res like I did a few years ago. Good thing I had a MityVac at hand to suck it all out, and that P/S fluid floats.

Wow, that's amazing. But thanks for the tip about the MityVac in case it happens to me or somebody else.

I don't know

"power steering"... "power brakes"

Did you do an OA?

Was there a performance increase?

Extra? ATF has less detergents than any modern fully-formulated motor oil. He's slightly diluted the detergents.
[/QUOTE]
I have always been told that ATF has detergents in it. And that is why people use it in their engines to help clean them out. Is this just an old tale. I never done that to my engines personally but that's what I've been told since I was driving.

Yes, ATF has detergents but at a much lower amount than a modern motor oil. It's been discussed lots of times on here. By adding it to motor oil you're diluting the oil, not doing anything beneficial:

Yes, ATF has detergents but at a much lower amount than a modern motor oil. It's been discussed lots of times on here. By adding it to motor oil you're diluting the oil, not doing anything beneficial:

Thanks for the info. :)

Back