Amsoil oil question šŸ™‹

I have several unopened qts of 20/50 twin
Motorcycle oil, as I poured oil into crankcase I noticed a difference in oil color?! Newer qt container was quite lighter in color then the older container!?
Both were unopened and sealed. Any
Ideas why there was such a difference in oil color??

You are either pouring the wrong type of oil into your passenger car, or posting in the wrong forum.

Either way...

Iā€™m just asking about the color of the oil
And being specific about what oil it is.

It happens. Back around 15 years ago when Quaker State had their "Q" line sold in clear bottles, you would see variation of color between bottles that were side by side on the shelf. At least some of these colorings are added artificially anyway. Pennzoil currently states that Platinum has color artificially added because the GTL base is otherwise totally clear. Then we see Royal Purple, and the old German Castrol that was dyed green.

Long story short, don't sweat it.

oil blenders often change formulations trying to meet a spec with cheeper base oils + an add pack + thats why i QUIT using Amsoil years ago as they IMO hide what they use but do give specs.

oil blenders often change formulations trying to meet a spec with cheeper base oils + an add pack + thats why i QUIT using Amsoil years ago as they IMO hide what they use but do give specs.
Do they not all hide what they use? Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Amsoil person either, but I don't think that's exclusive to them.

Do they not all hide what they use? Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Amsoil person either, but I don't think that's exclusive to them.
Fortunately the things that ultimately matter, the licenses, specifications and approvals are not hidden. Sometimes they are obfuscated however.

I have several unopened qts of 20/50 twin
Motorcycle oil, as I poured oil into crankcase I noticed a difference in oil color?! Newer qt container was quite lighter in color then the older container!?
Both were unopened and sealed. Any
Ideas why there was such a difference in oil color??
Oil "color" is meaningless. NEW oil color is really meaningless.

An oil can have the exact base oil (nearly clear) and the same additives (vary in color within batches) and be the same oil.

And yes all oil companies change their formulations.

I used "brand x" in my power equipment for more than 30 years. I liked the idea that it was lighter colored than anything else I had previously used.
Then one day, I noticed that my favorite oil had taken on a very dark appearance. That was about 15 years ago. Doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Back