ask best used truck for daily drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
dpending on how long you are going to be here and the miles you put on, look into a lease.

Might be hard for a foreigner to get credit.

I 2nd the idea to buy in a part of the country, drive across, and sell at the other end. Maybe get a 10-year old New England heap with rust etc and then sell it in Texas to someone who doesn't look.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: nyumski
Originally Posted By: eljefino
what part of the country do you intend to reside in?

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

Great! Which major city area? Then I can give some recommendations...

As others have said, stay away from a diesel truck, they're in such high demand you'll spend 10K on a piece of junk.

i will live in houston. oke thank you, i need so much information that everyone here can give.. really appreciate

oh guys thank you so much for the input..

actually maybe because i live in Asia and the traffic, you know quite annoying so i thought buy diesel would be good choice and i know the traffic there still acceptable even for gas, i dont wanna waste every money for fuel
laugh.gif

can we get 20-30 mpg combine traffic fuel consumption in gas?

i will live here for the next 5 years, and maybe for good, so it doesnt matter if i have durable and reliable car / truck
laugh.gif

I wouldn't settle on any one choice until you get here and drive a few different vehicles to get a feel for what you like to drive here.

If where you live now gets a lot of used cars shipped over from Japan, don't expect that level of used car quality here. No US state has inspections like Japan, so you do need to take a buyer beware approach here and look potential purchases over or have a shop look them over. $10K can get you a great vehicle in the US for sure, but there's plenty of junk in that price range too. I wouldn't rule out older vehicles, say 10-15 year old models, if they are well cared for and have a good track record.

You actually have a lot of options...your criteria isn't that hard to meet. I'd get here, do some searching and test driving, and post up what you find that you like and let us critique it.

I like Rangers, but your criteria could fit almost anything from a nearly new Nissan Versa to a 2005 Chevy Tahoe.

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

As others have said, stay away from a diesel truck, they're in such high demand you'll spend 10K on a piece of junk.

i will live in houston. oke thank you, i need so much information that everyone here can give.. really appreciate

Houston is a beautiful city. Really close to Galveston,which is one of my favorite places
thumbsup2.gif

This would be possible with a 4-cylinder or possibly a 5-cylinder truck (if you get a Chevrolet Colorado or a GMC Canyon). This won't be likely with a used 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder truck. I get about 18 in town and about 22 on the highway with my Ridgeline, and that's about as good as you'll get with a V-6 or V-8. Most V-6 or V-8 trucks in your price range will get you about 20 mpg tops, under ideal conditions.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

This would be possible with a 4-cylinder or possibly a 5-cylinder truck (if you get a Chevrolet Colorado or a GMC Canyon). This won't be likely with a used 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder truck. I get about 18 in town and about 22 on the highway with my Ridgeline, and that's about as good as you'll get with a V-6 or V-8. Most V-6 or V-8 trucks in your price range will get you about 20 mpg tops, under ideal conditions.

i dont know, actually when i thought about truck it's always diesel
laugh.gif
it maybe because in my place, truck is diesel engine and never be gas engine, yes it is stereotype (we can call it that, right?)

yeah i've just looked chevy colorado and GMC canyon but the MSRP is around 20k, i cant afford it. with 10k cash still dont get new car..

anyway for ridgeline, is that RWD or FWD?

The first generation Ridgeline, which your budget would support, is FWD-based AWD. It uses Honda's VTM-4 AWD system and is proactive (applies rear torque during acceleration, whether slippage is perceived or not). There is also a dash button that will electronically fully clutch the rear differential in at slow speeds for snow/mud traction. I find it highly effective in snow. Both of our vehicles use this system; it's effective, durable, and 100% automatic if you want it to be. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a failure of one of these systems (though I'm certain that it has happened).

You can read more than you probably ever wanted to know about the system at this link:

http://mypage.siu.edu/jeepster/vtm4.html

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

Be careful about getting a vehicle that's been flooded - Houston had a couple of nasty floods this year.

Just check the local craigslist, and auto trader.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The first generation Ridgeline, which your budget would support, is FWD-based AWD. It uses Honda's VTM-4 AWD system and is proactive (applies rear torque during acceleration, whether slippage is perceived or not). There is also a dash button that will electronically fully clutch the rear differential in at slow speeds for snow/mud traction. I find it highly effective in snow. Both of our vehicles use this system; it's effective, durable, and 100% automatic if you want it to be. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a failure of one of these systems (though I'm certain that it has happened).

You can read more than you probably ever wanted to know about the system at this link:

http://mypage.siu.edu/jeepster/vtm4.html

oke thank you for the info, i will check it
laugh.gif

i will live in Texas
laugh.gif

Be careful about getting a vehicle that's been flooded - Houston had a couple of nasty floods this year.

Just check the local craigslist, and auto trader.

roger that, thanks for the info
laugh.gif

ooh no, i still cant get and decide which car or truck i should buy. i really have no idea whats the situation in there and i am looking Autotrader and still cant decide. hmmm

ooh no, i still cant get and decide which car or truck i should buy. i really have no idea whats the situation in there and i am looking Autotrader and still cant decide. hmmm

Well, you don't need to yet. Wait until you get there and have actually seen a few things.

Possibly part of the problem is that most of the trucks being recommended to you above, (with the partial exceptions of the Ranger and Explorer) are quite a lot more than you'll likely need, and thus don't meet your (Non US/Saudi Arabian) fuel economy expectations.

If it were me, the other half of the problem would be that most trucks produced for the US market (which includes trucks made and sold elsewhere, since US "style" dominates this sector) after say about year 2000, are Fng UGLY. Even the legendary Hilux has turned into some kind of tumour.

They look like they were designed by Liberace's hairdresser, with the brief "Make it look BUTCH".

When my car dies here in Taiwan I'll be looking for one of these, though I'll have to work around some regulations that say I can't have one. Think they were imported to the US, though old now, and probably too rare to be practical for you.

1977-datsun-620-truck-1.jpg

Last edited:
The funny thing about the recommendation of an older Datsun truck is around here, there are quite a few of them driving around. Enough I see at least one or two a day!

What you really want is a Mazda/Ranger.

Got one for my daughter a couple of years ago. Wow, they are amazing. Hard to find a stick shift but if you do they are nearly perpetual motion with very low costs to operate...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
What you really want is a Mazda/Ranger.

Got one for my daughter a couple of years ago. Wow, they are amazing. Hard to find a stick shift but if you do they are nearly perpetual motion with very low costs to operate...

The best never rest...
grin.gif

p0qMFap.jpg

289K mi on the Explorer, 186K on the green Ranger. Another 194K on the black Ranger not in the pic.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
The funny thing about the recommendation of an older Datsun truck is around here, there are quite a few of them driving around. Enough I see at least one or two a day!

Bit rarer than that here, where vehicles die young. They are also one of the very few older vehicles considered "cool" (mini and beetle are the other two) so they seem to go for fairly high prices when they come up.

img_1120.jpg

How about the car based "utes", um..Ranchero/El Camino? I assume they're not quite as supersized/thirsty as recent-ish US trucks but maybe they are too rare/expensive?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back