10 Midsize Trucks Battle For Top Off-Roader

because the test are going to be out of date very quickly, and if I was looking at a midsize I would certainly would wait till those are released. especially for the ranger raptor. ford performance kills it when they release something. (gt350(r), gt500, f150 raptor, raptor r). over a decade later no one has produced anything to compete with the raptor. trx doesn't count, the weight in the front end makes it slow off road.

It is unrealistic to wait for the latest and greatest. There will always be new products on the horizon. To wait for release of the next promised great product, will mean testing will never be done.

Not sure what Ford was thinking with the design on the Raptor.

1699961729518.jpg

Not sure what Ford was thinking with the design on the Raptor.

View attachment 188480

Because it has to be reasonably smaller than the F150 raptor. It’s designed to be a small nimble race/rally truck. Where you can choose the F150 raptor with 35s or 37s if you want something bigger.

Ranger Raptor:
wheel base: 128.7
OAL: 210.9
Width: 86.7

F150 Raptor:
Wheel base: 145.4
OAL: 232.6
Width: 96

So almost 20 inches shorter in both wheel base and OAL, also 9 inches narrower. Makes much more trail friendly, much more parking friendly, and nimble vs the F150 raptor.

I’ll have the build date for mine in the next 2 weeks. Probably May/June is what I’m guessing.

Will look good in the rest of my Ford collection.

Last edited:
Because it has to be reasonably smaller than the F150 raptor. It’s designed to be a small nimble race/rally truck. Where you can choose the F150 raptor with 35s or 37s if you want something bigger.

Ranger Raptor:
wheel base: 128.7
OAL: 210.9
Width: 86.7

F150 Raptor:
Wheel base: 145.4
OAL: 232.6
Width: 96

So almost 20 inches shorter in both wheel base and OAL, also 9 inches narrower. Makes much more trail friendly, much more parking friendly, and nimble vs the F150 raptor.

I’ll have the build date for mine in the next 2 weeks. Probably May/June is what I’m guessing.

Will look good in the rest of my Ford collection.
he means the design on the front end. the ranger is a world platform. they design it for all markets. if it were strictly a north American vehicle it would be more aggressive.

he means the design on the front end. the ranger is a world platform. they design it for all markets. if it were strictly a north American vehicle it would be more aggressive.

I like the design. Or I should say, I don’t hate it.

I dig the look of it over all. The 2024’s really look like mini Gen 3 raptors.

Someone needs to come up with a D00D grill for it, stat.

IMG_3410.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
2022 Colorado ZR2 took 1st place in this review. I haven't done any serious off-roading in mine, mostly light trails and beach. The interesting thing about the DSSV's is how stiff they are on road. The on-road ride is actually a bit too firm for my liking, but the benefit is how well it handles. The truck handles incredibly well for as large and heavy as it is, which is why I think GM went with them. I'm coming up on 2 years already and haven't had any issues other than a 4wd actuator switch that failed. Took them 5 minutes to replace.

ZR2's hold their value very well. Mine is worth $6k more than what I owe currently. Kind of a crazy. One of the few GM models that actual retain their value.

The downfall of this truck, or any pickup for that matter, is the bed. I don't have a cap or cover for it so it doesn't get used much other than when I need to move larger items. Came in handy over the summer as I helped a few people move larger items and a piece of furniture we purchased. 95% of the time I'm hauling air. So a cap is something I'm interested in, if I keep it. As I approach year 3 I'll decide on whether to get one or not.

View attachment 185428

I'm shocked that the gladiator rounded out the bottom. The Rubicon was specifically designed for the Rubicon trail. Jeep also offers the gladiator in a "mojave" package thats geared towards fast offroad driving.

I'm shocked that the gladiator rounded out the bottom. The Rubicon was specifically designed for the Rubicon trail. Jeep also offers the gladiator in a "mojave" package thats geared towards fast offroad driving.
It took 1st place in the hill climb though.

Back