10 Midsize Trucks Battle For Top Off-Roader

2022 Colorado ZR2 took 1st place in this review. I haven't done any serious off-roading in mine, mostly light trails and beach. The interesting thing about the DSSV's is how stiff they are on road. The on-road ride is actually a bit too firm for my liking, but the benefit is how well it handles. The truck handles incredibly well for as large and heavy as it is, which is why I think GM went with them. I'm coming up on 2 years already and haven't had any issues other than a 4wd actuator switch that failed. Took them 5 minutes to replace.

ZR2's hold their value very well. Mine is worth $6k more than what I owe currently. Kind of a crazy. One of the few GM models that actual retain their value.

The downfall of this truck, or any pickup for that matter, is the bed. I don't have a cap or cover for it so it doesn't get used much other than when I need to move larger items. Came in handy over the summer as I helped a few people move larger items and a piece of furniture we purchased. 95% of the time I'm hauling air. So a cap is something I'm interested in, if I keep it. As I approach year 3 I'll decide on whether to get one or not.

1698426815683.png

It doesn't have the DSSV's and higher output engine of the 2023 ZR2. It sits in between a Z71 and ZR2.

great reporting. I do see wet conditions for 3 of the test vehicles do you think it effected the rating at all?

I didn’t watch all of it, but the part I did watch seemed very subjective.
It is, but he also does a hill challenge that is the same exact hill for each truck. Likely his next video. He takes all vehicles on some course out in Utah. He's not brand loyal either from what I can tell. Seems legit to me.

this is mute until the new Tacoma trailhunter is released and the ranger raptor, which I have feeling is going to run away with this.

How do you figure that the testing is moot? The models you mention are not available at this time, so the testing is very valid, for the models that were available and that he selected.

It is, but he also does a hill challenge that is the same exact hill for each truck. Likely his next video. He takes all vehicles on some course out in Utah. He's not brand loyal either from what I can tell. Seems legit to me.
Not a bad test, should have a some sort of NVH metrics and a GPS trail speed app just to give some independent speed estimates, but gives you an idea of how they compare. I guess if you know the road well, some higher speed cruising is ok, but 30mph into a rock you didn't see can make a long and expensive day!

How do you figure that the testing is moot? The models you mention are not available at this time, so the testing is very valid, for the models that were available and that he selected.
because the test are going to be out of date very quickly, and if I was looking at a midsize I would certainly would wait till those are released. especially for the ranger raptor. ford performance kills it when they release something. (gt350(r), gt500, f150 raptor, raptor r). over a decade later no one has produced anything to compete with the raptor. trx doesn't count, the weight in the front end makes it slow off road.

because the test are going to be out of date very quickly, and if I was looking at a midsize I would certainly would wait till those are released. especially for the ranger raptor. ford performance kills it when they release something. (gt350(r), gt500, f150 raptor, raptor r). over a decade later no one has produced anything to compete with the raptor. trx doesn't count, the weight in the front end makes it slow off road.
IMO, the only thing the RR has over the current ZR2 is horsepower and that can be addressed. Subjective, but I don't like the look of the RR either. ZR2 looks much better IMO. RR is also $15-$20k more expensive.

1698441095624.png

Ranger looks kind of puny.

1698441150764.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, the only thing the RR has over the current ZR2 is horsepower and that can be addressed. Subjective, but I don't like the look of the RR either. ZR2 looks much better IMO. RR is also $15-$20k more expensive.

View attachment 185447

Ranger looks kind of puny.

View attachment 185448
anything can be addressed. the ranger raptor will have better suspension and it will be tuned better than the zr2. it will also be faster on a off road course. how do i know? because ford always benchmarks everyone and puts up a larger number.

Back