Is the new Frontier the midsize king?

I guess you guys missed the point.

didnt say everyone needed a freightliner. I said the current mid-sized trucks are a low bar. When trucks much larger, heavier, and more powerful can achieve similar mpg’s for not much more money, its pretty apparent the mfg’s could be doing better.

nissan had an opportunity to differentiate themselves. They might have a solid truck against their current competitors but if GM, Ford and Toyota up their game(which they could easily do) in the next gens, the Frontier is gunna look pretty crappy.
Have owned all sizes over the decades … big heavy trucks belong on asphalt OK … ?
Nissan “differentiate“ is in your head - not mine …

i dont like big tanks aka modern 4 dr 4 wd trucks with small boxes + prefer standard cabs BUT to their cost + lack of a manual tranny I opted for a preowned 28 thou mile Fronty 4X4 king cab with the great 4.0 V-6 + 6 spd manual. earlier frontys were a bargain + only issue is a wider turning radius + on 5-10s the automatic tranny cooler issues, easily fixed before disaster strikes!! if not for crazy money 4 doors + too short box i would love a gladiator "prolly"!!!

I think this is a great move by Nissan. The price is more reasonable for the truck of this size.

"More capable than the Ridgeline and more refined than anything else, durable and proven at its core, it’s a deeply charming truck wrapped in a superb design. And at $28,990 to start, or $38,390 for the fantastic Pro-4X, it’s also the best value in the segment."

"It's no Chevy Colorado ZR2, but the Pro-4X's off-road prowess comes with little compromise to its on-road refinement, and at $38,415 it costs about $7000 less to start than that Chevy."
After considerable research, I would say this new Nissan is the mid-size truck to beat. Took them a long time to update... but they did a nice job.

I'm rooting for Nissan on this one, I was looking pretty hard at the pro-4x when I was shopping earlier this year. It won't compete in the niche markets where the Ridgeline and Gladiator live, but should be a great all-around midsize.

Too Tall and that computer game of a radio AC control and whatever. I see lots of them in the junk yard from distracted drivers.

A small utility trailer holds more than most pickups … sits way lower, 1600# payload … plus has a ramp, and you can drop it off with material still in it right where your project is located …
Yep. I have a GMC Canyon after having a Sierra single cab with an 8 ft. bed. My 10 ft. utility trailer holds more that the Sierra did and with the ramp and it sitting so low it is easier to load. I can drive my zero turn mower up the ramp when I cut my Dad's yard or need to take it in for service. And if someone wants to borrow it, no big deal and no insurance liability like lending them a truck.

Yep. I have a GMC Canyon after having a Sierra single cab with an 8 ft. bed. My 10 ft. utility trailer holds more that the Sierra did and with the ramp and it sitting so low it is easier to load. I can drive my zero turn mower up the ramp when I cut my Dad's yard or need to take it in for service. And if someone wants to borrow it, no big deal and no insurance liability like lending them a truck.
I gave away an old heavy trailer - now have one so light I don’t back up to it … Can easily move it to my hitch …
Thats also a plus taking light bulky recreational/camping things through the sand …
(put 235 tires on it)

Good review. This truck has had lots of wonderful reviews lately. I was never a Nissan fan and certainly thought the Toyota was the one to beat. Not anymore.

Good review. This truck has had lots of wonderful reviews lately. I was never a Nissan fan and certainly thought the Toyota was the one to beat. Not anymore.
If it's as reliable as the previous gen, they have a nice truck on their hands. It's also more reasonably priced IMO.

I think this is a great move by Nissan. The price is more reasonable for the truck of this size.

"More capable than the Ridgeline and more refined than anything else, durable and proven at its core, it’s a deeply charming truck wrapped in a superb design. And at $28,990 to start, or $38,390 for the fantastic Pro-4X, it’s also the best value in the segment."

"It's no Chevy Colorado ZR2, but the Pro-4X's off-road prowess comes with little compromise to its on-road refinement, and at $38,415 it costs about $7000 less to start than that Chevy."

I would say that Nissan's quality issues would put it behind the others. It doesnt have the quality of the Tacoma and it isnt as cool as a Ranger or Gladiator.
I would say that if you want a, "Japanese" (because Nissan isnt really Japanese anymore) truck but cant afford a Tacoma, the Frontier is a good choice.
Its definetly never going to be the king of the midsize trucks though. Theres just too many better options out there.

I would say that Nissan's quality issues would put it behind the others. It doesnt have the quality of the Tacoma and it isnt as cool as a Ranger or Gladiator.
I would say that if you want a, "Japanese" (because Nissan isnt really Japanese anymore) truck but cant afford a Tacoma, the Frontier is a good choice.
Its definetly never going to be the king of the midsize trucks though. Theres just too many better options out there.
Nobody knows if the brand-new Frontier has or will have lower than average or better than average quality, because it’s a new model.

It looks to me like it’s going to be a stout truck, and if I were in the market for a truck (I’m not), I’d buy one.

Nissan really does appear to be trying to improve their products, and I think they’re succeeding.

Someone in Pa saw one on the lot - $46k for the Pro4x. :oops:

Its not going to be the king of the mid-sized trucks, even if its the best and most reliable, because the Toyota sheeple will keep buying Tacoma's. It's just how it works.

I test drove a Colorado Dmax, Canyon V6(with the new at-the-time 8 speed), the Nissan Pro4X(with the old 4.0/5 speed), and the current gen Tacoma TRD OR back in the spring of 2017. The Nissan Frontier was a better truck to drive than the Tacoma, even back then before the new motor/transmission came out, nevermind the whole new truck. All of them drove better than the Taco. And yet the Taco continues to outsell even the closest competitor 2:1. Why? Cause the average Taco buyers arn't even going to the Ford, GM or Nissan dealers to cross shop.

My worry, however, is that Ford and GM are getting ready to release their new Ranger and Colorado/Canyon soon. And I think the new Taco is on its way as well. I have a feeling it may put nissan back where they were. This new truck may be nice, but its competing against trucks that came out 6+ years ago, with the exception of the ranger. Of course it's seems nice right now. But what happens when its competing against newer trucks?

Way back in the day I had a chance to buy a Nissan hardbody truck.
wish I did.

Back