Asheville, NC area vacation destination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering going down there for a week in October. Other than seeing the Biltmore Estate and driving around Blue Ridge Parkway, is there anything else specifically that we should put on our "to do" list?

It's just going to be wife and I. No kids on this trip.

We're not too big into extensive hikes, but short walks are OK.

Rezaz Mediterranean Cuisine is right by biltmore. At least go for lunch.

Salsas down town used to be pretty good.

If your into beers don't miss The Thirsty Monk.

Not sure if you've booked your room, but I've stayed at the residence inn between downtown and Biltmore. If I were going back I'd stay there again. Unless I had money for Haywood park, Grove Inn, or B&B...

We rented a cabin up in Burnsville. Relax in the hot tub in the fresh outdoors! Of course, I'm sure it's way late to rent a cabin...being only a month out.

Check out the Moose Cafe. It's a good farm-to-table restaurant that sells a lot of locally-produced items.

http://eatatthemoosecafe.com/

I 2nd The Thirsty Monk and also check out The Lobster Trap.....great seafood at a reasonable price for what you get. Would you be into white water rafting?

Nantahala Gorge, try the zipline canopy tour. It's absolutely breathtaking. Try some whitewater rafting in the Chattooga, might be a bit cold in October unless you have a wetsuit though. Same goes for lake lure. There are tons of small little mountain towns that are very interesting. Try Chimney Rock, N.C.. As well as Helen, Ga., which is just a couple of hours away, but worth it.

For some good food drive down 64 to Cashiers, N.C., and try the Cornucopia restaurant. Small and unpretentious with good service and food.

If possible bring your bike. Western N.C. has some of the best motorcycle roads in the entire U.S., bar none. Many that would give the Tail of the Dragon(Deals Gap) a serious run for it's money.

Bring your pistolas and wear them proudly as N.C. is an open carry state.

Last edited:
Dynamite Roasting Company about 20 miles at Black Mountain. Best coffee: Suplicar Clemecia. Oskar Blues Brewery is not far away. If you are into mountain biking, you are in the middle of singletrack heaven.

Start by taking one of the local bus tours. We used Gray Line and were very impressed, enough to do it twice. The history of the town is quite fascinating, especially concerning its history as a medical resort and the art deco history of downtown (one of two noted art-deco centers in the nation).

See what is showing at the Folk Art Center, it might be interesting. The region is very craft oriented, as a result of a government initiative to stimulate local commerce during WWII. I spent two hours in the Folk Art Center being fascinated by a quilting exhibit (which I never, ever would have believed beforehand!).

For an interesting drive, go to Marion and then take 226 and 226A up to Little Switzerland. Little Switzerland is just a wide spot in the road, but seeing the little mountain cabin and retreats on 226A is worth the entire trip. On a side note, I would not recommend a large car for small mountain roads. Driving was taxing until I traded our Charger for a Focus.

I also second the earlier suggestion of Lake Lure, plus the various little towns and their weekend festivals. We also enjoyed Asheville's Botanical Gardens, and Lindville Gorge (out of town).

Just took a nice trip to Asheville in July. Biltmore was great, the listening tour a must.
We stayed in a cabin southeast of Lake Lure. Great beach (for summer) and restaurants. Chimney Rock State Park is a couple miles north of the lake. Chimney Rock's an amazing sight.
Ate a meal outdoors at the Omni Grove Park hotel, perched up on the mountain overlooking the whole Asheville area. Fantastic view and atmosphere.
Downtown Asheville is eclectic, lots of good places for foodies.
Out away from Asheville country roads are twisty, the Suburban did just fine. Gas away from the interstate was significantly cheaper.

ill be there myself in OCT, staying at Sherwood forrest resort in Gattlinburg. Ive been going down there since 2003. PM me for specific details.

Blue ridge
Cherohola skyway
129 "tail of the dragon"
foothills parkway
blood mountain.

I could go on and on.. these are driving destinations on the South side of the Smokeys..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back