Land Rover Experience @ Biltmore Estate Asheville

I wanted to come to post this as it we had such a blast and it was a great experience.

So Land Rover has experience centers in Asheville, NC at Biltmore Estate (where we did experience), Manchester, VT and Carmel, CA. We learned about the experience this past February when we were biking around Biltmore Estate as we had to make way for a Range Rover making its way out to the woods. Looked it up immediately as we were back at the hotel. Well dang you just pay $$$ to get a Land Rover experience for 1 hour, 2 hours, half day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours?) - you pick the Land Rover model you want (based on availability) and an instructor takes you off roading for your allotted time and if you manage to damage the car you have no responsibility whatsoever.

We booked half day experience (4 hours) which ran $850 but allowed both myself and my partner to drive, the experience prices are good for up to 3 people but all 3 can drive if you want. While we were having lunch at the estate before the experience I was questioning booking the 4 hour tour, its a long time and what if we get bored? Well that was not a problem at all to say the least and we had a freakin blast plowing a $130k Range Rover through mud, wading through 3' of water, up rock climbs, down moguls, mud ruts, up and down a 29 degree incline, etc. Our instructor was A+++ and was an excellent teacher on showing us how to safely off-road, once he was confident we were not just terrible drivers (we heard horror stories) he let us do some very technical trails that could have easily destroyed the LR if done slightly wrong. One of the best parts is you get to tour parts of the estate that you would not see unless you do the Land Rover experience, going between trails we had to drive through their vineyard which was a huge highlight.

Overall - HIGHLY recommend. It is expensive but it was worth every penny, we had such a good time we are already planning on going back in October and trying to snag a Discovery (we had a Range Rover this go around) - will probably only do 2 hours this time though as we had a good fill of the experience already on the 4 hour tour. I have never really been a Land Rover fan, I think they are freaking handsome as heck but they just weren't my cup of tea - now after driving a Range Rover with that turbo I-6 I am a huge fan, even so we barely crested 10-15 MPH (usually 4-6 MPH through the trails) it sounded very very nice when I had to goose it to get out of mud ruts.

**My admitted shame - I did get the Range Rover "traction challenged" in one particularly deep mud rut because I was too gentle on the throttle on the exit. Instructor hopped out and talked me through getting out which only took one further attempt. This thing is an absolute off road beast and it takes a LOT to get it "traction challenged" - every other obstacle it walked through without fuss.

IMG_7462.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7453 2.jpg

IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7461.JPG

Isn't it a great experience and most of the LR line are surprisingly capable.

I did the Experience at the Equinox in Vermont, Christmas gift from my Wife, and I would recommend it to anyone interested. My Wife and I did the formal morning session switching off in several of their vehicles including a mid 90's Defender, then after lunch we dropped off my Wife (she reached her limit) and the instructor and I spent the next 4 hours or so exploring Vermont's Class 4 roads around Manchester. Not sure I would take my RR on some of them, but good to know it is capable! I have the P400 and yes, the I6 is a beast.

Glad you two enjoyed it!

Isn't it a great experience and most of the LR line are surprisingly capable.

I did the Experience at the Equinox in Vermont, Christmas gift from my Wife, and I would recommend it to anyone interested. My Wife and I did the formal morning session switching off in several of their vehicles including a mid 90's Defender, then after lunch we dropped off my Wife (she reached her limit) and the instructor and I spent the next 4 hours or so exploring Vermont's Class 4 roads around Manchester. Not sure I would take my RR on some of them, but good to know it is capable! I have the P400 and yes, the I6 is a beast.

Glad you two enjoyed it!

It really was mind blowing how much fun it was, I went into it not really knowing what to expect but came out the other end so incredibly pleased.

We are actually contemplating heading up to Vermont (fly into Burlington) to try out that LR experience as we also want to try to visit the town from Beetlejuice and the upcoming sequel (East Cornith, VT) and maybe do a 3-4 day trip cruising around Vermont & New Hampshire and fly back home from Manchester, NH. We shall see - Asheville of course is easier but we both love New England so its very high up on the list.

Also @wings&wheels - what did you end up with for going on the trails on your experience? I picked the Range Rover just because there was something very satisfying about putting that much money through the mud. :ROFLMAO:

Also @wings&wheels - what did you end up with for going on the trails on your experience? I picked the Range Rover just because there was something very satisfying about putting that much money through the mud. :ROFLMAO:
I did the same as that is what I have, except at the time I had the Tdv6 diesel. I was most impressed by the Velar, not that I prefer it or would own one, but for a Land Rover 'Light', even it was decent. When we do it again, I will choose the new Defender.

Had a great time there back in 2009, love the reisling. September and October the weather is beautiful.

That RR you drove is dead. What happened to it? I've seen a handful of them since it's debut 2 years ago (maybe an average of 1 every 6 months) . Was it the price or the design?
The most popular here in my area are the RR Sport, Discovery, Defender, Evoque and the least popular Velar.

That RR you drove is dead. What happened to it? I've seen a handful of them since it's debut 2 years ago (maybe an average of 1 every 6 months) . Was it the price or the design?
The most popular here in my area are the RR Sport, Discovery, Defender, Evoque and the least popular Velar.
Honestly I don't see too many of these either - but this being their top dog model starting ~$103k I don't think they sell in huge numbers anyways. Even the last generation I really don't see on a regular basis, nowadays I probably see an ID.4 more than I see a Range Rover.

Around here it seems the Discovery (non-Sport) line is the most popular. I honestly think the current Discovery is the best looking of the entire family. Discovery Sport is a wannabe Land Rover according to our instructor as we asked if they have to turn down people on owner days - IIRC he said the Evoque and Discovery Sport have regular coil (non air) suspensions so they are not allowed to go on more technical parts of the trails. I mentioned my colleague having a Discovery Sport and he basically said its off road capabilities were about as good as a Subaru Outback - o_O.

TRAVEL SUGGESTION:
If you go to Corinth for another LR Experience make time to visit the marble quarry in Proctor, VT, less than 50 miles away to the SSW. The exhibit is great.

Thanks for the recommend! I have never been to VT or NH so looking forward to venturing around, we prefer outdoorsy nature type stuff so quarry is right up our alley.

I wanted to come to post this as it we had such a blast and it was a great experience.

So Land Rover has experience centers in Asheville, NC at Biltmore Estate (where we did experience), Manchester, VT and Carmel, CA. We learned about the experience this past February when we were biking around Biltmore Estate as we had to make way for a Range Rover making its way out to the woods. Looked it up immediately as we were back at the hotel. Well dang you just pay $$$ to get a Land Rover experience for 1 hour, 2 hours, half day (4 hours) or full day (8 hours?) - you pick the Land Rover model you want (based on availability) and an instructor takes you off roading for your allotted time and if you manage to damage the car you have no responsibility whatsoever.

We booked half day experience (4 hours) which ran $850 but allowed both myself and my partner to drive, the experience prices are good for up to 3 people but all 3 can drive if you want. While we were having lunch at the estate before the experience I was questioning booking the 4 hour tour, its a long time and what if we get bored? Well that was not a problem at all to say the least and we had a freakin blast plowing a $130k Range Rover through mud, wading through 3' of water, up rock climbs, down moguls, mud ruts, up and down a 29 degree incline, etc. Our instructor was A+++ and was an excellent teacher on showing us how to safely off-road, once he was confident we were not just terrible drivers (we heard horror stories) he let us do some very technical trails that could have easily destroyed the LR if done slightly wrong. One of the best parts is you get to tour parts of the estate that you would not see unless you do the Land Rover experience, going between trails we had to drive through their vineyard which was a huge highlight.

Overall - HIGHLY recommend. It is expensive but it was worth every penny, we had such a good time we are already planning on going back in October and trying to snag a Discovery (we had a Range Rover this go around) - will probably only do 2 hours this time though as we had a good fill of the experience already on the 4 hour tour. I have never really been a Land Rover fan, I think they are freaking handsome as heck but they just weren't my cup of tea - now after driving a Range Rover with that turbo I-6 I am a huge fan, even so we barely crested 10-15 MPH (usually 4-6 MPH through the trails) it sounded very very nice when I had to goose it to get out of mud ruts.

**My admitted shame - I did get the Range Rover "traction challenged" in one particularly deep mud rut because I was too gentle on the throttle on the exit. Instructor hopped out and talked me through getting out which only took one further attempt. This thing is an absolute off road beast and it takes a LOT to get it "traction challenged" - every other obstacle it walked through without fuss.

View attachment 171835

View attachment 171836
View attachment 171837
View attachment 171838View attachment 171839
Very nice! I grew up not far from there. The Estate is chock full of deer. Driving trough there at night and you just see dozens of eyes staring back at you.

Back