as good as motorcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running my vehicles on motorcraft
filters and oil(one is a ford and one is a toyota)because I have heard only good things
about them,and was able to get them at a very
reasonable price at wally world! I have stocked up on filters,(about 3 years worth!)but I don't
know what to use for oil. Does the maker of motor
craft also make another name brand?

Supposedly Conoco makes it. Includes 76 Oils, Conoco, Philips, and Kendall. Don't stock up just yet..there are some interesting possibilities on the new GF-4 oils. My money is on Havoline..but we'll see.
smile.gif

Motorcraft is a great oil. Walmart is getting rid of all Motorcraft oils, I saw it on clearence for 99 cents. Havoline/Chevron is also a high quality, low cost oil.

quote:

Don't stock up just yet..there are some interesting possibilities on the new GF-4 oils. My money is on Havoline..but we'll see.

Al, Why??? Granted, Havoline is good, but you sound like you know something. What's up???

Bad News.... I had been buying Motorcraft 5W20 Premium Synthetic Blend at Walmart for $1.42 a quart.. I bought several cases... I use in and O4 Grand Marquis and O4 Honda Accord.... What a deal that was....

I went yesterday and they indicated Motorcraft was not selling to Walmart due to dealer complaints on price point they were selling at... I guess I am back to Advance Auto.. last time I purchased there it was $2.08 per quart....

Wish I had bought 10 cases or more now....

I have gotten personally and also seen on this board good used oil analysis results for Havoline. I buy it by the case when Advance puts it on sale. Ditto on the Motorcraft filters being top shelf.

I was in the local Advance Auto, Monday evening.

Motorcraft 5w-20, 5w-30, $2.62 per quart.

Back in February I purchase a years supply of Advanced Auto brand oil filters for $1.50 each. Probably committing blasphemy, I don't place a whole lot of faith in the difference in a $1.50 filter and a $5 filter. I bought the AA filters cause they have the fancy gripper finish.

I guess I am back to square one again. The Super Tech Full Synthetic @ $11.88 for 5 quarts looks very promising, can't find the 5w-30 though.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:

quote:

Don't stock up just yet..there are some interesting possibilities on the new GF-4 oils. My money is on Havoline..but we'll see.

Al, Why??? Granted, Havoline is good, but you sound like you know something. What's up???

Well there have been some good reports on here concerning the GF-3 Havoline. And this VOA on Havoline sparked my interest. I will be trying it:)

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000285

Havoline, Castrol GTX, Exxon Superflo and Pennzoil 5W-20 oils have all shown result on par with the Motorcraft/Connoco stuff. Superflo 5W-20 seems to be a real value sleeper IMO.

There seems to be a bit of a groupthink mentality on this board where a certain oil or filter gets a "good reputation" and then people go scrambling after it. The fascination with SuperTech filters and Motorcraft oils seems to be one example of this where perhaps the frenzy does not match reality very well. But then there is the whole GC thing which puts Motorcraft worship to shame
smile.gif

John

Well I guess today is my day to "stir it up".....Motocraft is a "good oil"...no doubt about it.....but Havoline/Pennzoil/Castrol GTX is **** good oil at $1.50 per quart.....and now to stir it up....Folks using SuperTech Synthetics are not getting bad results.....not bad at all....and what is it...5 quart jug for like $11.50 or something....Check the UOA section....

My Wal-Mart was cleaned out of the Motorcraft in a week and before I read on here it was being closed out. Somebody must have been insider trading.......
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back