Article - Mini offering discount for manual tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
That has usually been the case, in the fact that if you opt for an automatic it was additional cost. Nowadays it seems a manual is a no cost option where available. I think once upon a time a couple manufacturers actually charged extra for a manual. IIRC it was Acura Legends and later TLs. BMW 540s too.

Due to economies of scale, the fewer manual transmissions made, the more expensive they'll become. And just the opposite for automatics - they'll continue to be less expensive to make as the R&D/tooling costs are spread over a larger number of units, despite their increasing complexity.

The days of manual transmission are numbered.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Due to economies of scale, the fewer manual transmissions made, the more expensive they'll become. And just the opposite for automatics - they'll continue to be less expensive to make as the R&D/tooling costs are spread over a larger number of units, despite their increasing complexity.

you're assuming that the US is the only place that buys cars...

There are a ton of manual transmission-equipped vehicles designed and manufactured these days--they just aren't sold here.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Nope. Even in Europe, the sales of manual trans are drastically dropping, being pushed out by automatics. And with time, the same will be true for most other parts of the world.

most industry forcasts still show manuals being over 50% over the next 20 years world wide. The biggest emerging market is Asia, and manufacturing and purchase cost is a primary concern over there.

How "drastic" is the drop in manual transmissions in Western Europe? The last numbers I saw, MT's were still around 70-75% of the market?

There are a ton of manual transmission-equipped vehicles designed and manufactured these days--they just aren't sold here.

Very true...

Manuals have always been cheaper than automatics - you've always had a savings with a stick-shft.

More trick language here than real 'offer'........

BTW, I agree 100% it is very sad that stick shifts are dying off....

I don't think manuals will go away completely until the internal combustion engine goes away completely.

$500 is a start.

Still a couple thousand too high for what it is but a $500 discount is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Nope. Even in Europe, the sales of manual trans are drastically dropping, being pushed out by automatics. And with time, the same will be true for most other parts of the world.

I don't know where you go in Europe, but I go mostly to France, and Italy. I can assure you that most drivers, both want and use manual transmissions. The only automatics I see over there are either in the Paris area (and even then, very few) or the very old, who no longer can use their clutch leg.
When I was in Italy a couple years ago, I never saw an automatic. None. Nada. Niente. Zilch.

Other reasons are;
1, the resale value of an automatic is much lower than a manual. I.E., nobody wants them.
2, Europeans (unlike Americans & Canadians) know how to drive, and they believe (correctly) that you have better control of a manual car vice an automatic car.

Americans/Canadians seem to think Europeans drive manuals to save gas. WRONG! They drive them hard, and don't thing of gas milage.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
I don't know where you go in Europe, but I go mostly to France, and Italy. I can assure you that most drivers, both want and use manual transmissions.

I did not state that manual trans are now in the minority in Europe. What I did state is that when looking at new car sales, the number of cars with manual transmission are steadily decreasing, year after year. Someone posted a link to stats a few months back, but I can't find it now.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me...
45.gif

If you want to drive a Subaru WRX, Subaru STI or Subaru Legacy turbo you drive a stick or nothing.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I don't think manuals will go away completely until the internal combustion engine goes away completely.

When you're right, you're right.

+1

Originally Posted By: rjundi
If you want to drive a Subaru WRX, Subaru STI or Subaru Legacy turbo you drive a stick or nothing.

Same with the SVT Cobras and GT500...never offered with a slush box afaik.

In Europe, the typical engine is 1.0 litre petrol (Top Gear notwithstanding).
Some 1.3s, 1.5s, 1.6. The registration penalty gets steeper and the fuel tax is high.
An automatic's torque converter doesn't work well with a small displacement wide-rpm engine. It's efficient with a narrower rpm range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back