Are you using a 4k TV yet?

ATSC 3 is already almost everywhere even in the sticks by me.

I considered being an early adopter and buying a tuner.

All they did in my market is repack ATSC 1 channels together and pack the ATSC 3 channels together on a single station.

Net effect was weak channels would be easier to pickup but no change in resolution

Interesting effect was I can more easily pickup Fox when I couldn’t before but other channels are weaker as they are distributing the ATSC 1 channels on 1 fewer tower.
ATSC 3.0 has a multitude of improvements over ATSC 1.0, many of which address the many weaknesses of ATSC 1.0. Signal reception is a major one, and unlike ATSC 1.0, ATSC 3.0 works in environments that ATSC 1.0 doesn't by virtually eliminating multipath allowing it to be viewed on mobile receivers, and it also triples the broadcast coverage area at the same broadcast power.

Last edited:
It's true that "most" things aren't shot at 4K, but many are.

Thats a different argument from your claim that you dont get "true 4K" when streaming.
I would like to see true 4k from streaming. My buddy has a 4k blu ray player, and with a real 4K DVD, the difference between the picture it produces and what I see from streaming is astounding.

I would like to see true 4k from streaming. My buddy has a 4k blu ray player, and with a real 4K DVD, the difference between the picture it produces and what I see from streaming is astounding.
You do get 4K resolution.

4K HDR streams look pretty good, but thats a pretty rare master,

What was your comparison media?

I have two 4k TVs. 55 inch TCL QLED and a 55 inch LG OLED. You need to have content in UHD (Prime or Netflix) to really see the difference. I got both TVs for a good price.

I'm using firestick and fire cubes for all TVs. For regular TV you won't see a difference.

Just wait until Black Friday and I'm sure you can get an even better deal on a TV.

That and new sets lack a center stand and don’t fit the spot I would place it.

The budget and moderately priced ones don't.
If you want one with a center stand, the cost of playing starts at around $850.
That is one of the reasons that we ended up with the LG OLED we bought.

Our real delimina was finding a 32" 4K set, as only a 32" would fit where we needed to place it in our bedroom. As we started doing more streaming, it made sense to replace our older 32" non-smart Sony. We ended up with a Samsung Q60A 32" QLED paired with a Bose TV Speaker. Worked out well except that the Samsung solar rechargeable remote is a bit "different " with a learning curve.

O.K. Not much 4k programming, whatever, you want to call it. Buyers should skip buying a cheap 4k TV, pay a little more, and get Oled or Qled as they are 4k as well.
There is OLED and there is LED or QLED

QLED LED is a Samsung marketing term for their LED technology, originally developed by Sony about a decade ago. (maybe 8 years ago)
More or less QLED is a Trademark used by Samsung and is a "twist" on standard LEDs but they make it sound more special and when they trademarked that "QLED" sales took off for the moon with Samsung. More or less Samsung on other brands better LED sets use this technology but may not be able to use the "Trademark" QLED, Samsung owns those specific words. QLED is a marketing term.
When it comes to QLED/LED the HDR standard is what sets TVs apart (local dimming)

OLED is in a class by itself

Samsung displays are good as are a lot of others.
Mid to higher priced Sonys are great, good reviews, I think even Consumer Reports, for no other reason than I have one, the middle to higher end Sonys are great.
LED/QLED or OLED each has its place depending on where and how the set will be used. But price does buy higher quality displays if that matters to someone, the typical non discriminating consumer may not know the difference if its not pointed out to them and they may not care if it is.

Love our now few year old Sony 900H ( I believe) the difference to my wife and I in picture quality over 1080p was literally amazing.
The Sony picture on the 900H (at the time) was known for its HDR and Local dimming and to us, until we got used to it, the picture had almost 3d qualities on some material.

(I posted this as accurately as I think and remember *LOL* its been a while and said enough)
One more =

Last edited:
Love our now few year old Sony 900H ( I believe) the difference to my wife and I in picture quality over 1080p was literally amazing.
The Sony picture on the 900H (at the time) was known for its HDR and Local dimming and to us, until we got used to it, the picture had almost 3d qualities on some material.
Hard to believe our Sony 950H is two years old this Cyber Monday. It was a big step from my 14 year old Toshiba but it didn't take long to adjust to the picture. I do get some shows that look almost 3d but hardly notice it anymore.

No 4k content here but DVD's look pretty amazing, hard to think it could get much better. I also have a few old Blu-ray's, Terminator 2 is pretty awesome when I crank up the 7.1.

I am using a 1040 p tv mostly with legacy ntsc SD hard drive recorders so I can edit out commercials and burn dvds to save movies. When I want more quality to watch justified on blu ray it looks great. No 4 K coming for me soon. I dont care.

Bought a 65" QLED a few months back to watch 4k coverage of the Olympics. Since then I have grown to regret going that big. It also turns out there isn't much 4k content available. Maybe football but who wants to see fat guys running around in spandex in such clarity?

I bought a Sony X85J 55" TV last year. Its picture is awesome. I dont have cable and stream everything through Apple TV 4k. Its so clear I'm thinking of replacing the TV in the basement for this years version of it.

... 2 Samsungs, a TCL, a LG, and a Hisense all in that $500-$700 range. The Hisense absolutely blows all of them out of the water for the price.
A couple years ago I thought I got a good deal on a Hisense 4K. It crashed the buggy Android OS even if soft-off and never using smart features, had to be unplugged from the wall & plugged back in, just to turn it on, many times. Firmware update didn't help. Finally at 15 months old (3 mos. out of warranty) it died. I don't miss it.

My parents just made the jump from a truly terrible 720p 35" to a 55" 4k half decent Sony, still LED I think. They have internet TV and I think the box only spits out 1080p, but a still image looks quite good! as I think the upscaling works well then. Moving images are a pixely mess in comparison but still look way way better than what they had before. I tried some 4k and 2k youtube which looks good even with movement but their internet can't sustain that amount of data for long without buffering, and they don't watch youtube... They don't have a blu-ray player or any other 4k source, so probably a 1080p good TV would've been fine.
Our internet couldn't stream 4k or 2k either and our satellite box doesn't spit out anything better than 1080, and we have no players that do 4k so we'll stick with our 1080p TV for a while yet.

planet earth 4k blu ray does look amazing.

That was the sole reason why I got a 4K Vizio TV back in 2015. Now it wants to freeze and restart randomly when playing 4K content.

We got a 50” Visio Smart TV in 2015 for $500

Sadly the smart functions were outdated the day we bought it, but a Roku fixes that.

Even though a 68” 4K is now the same price it’s really not enough of an upgrade to justify tossing a good working set.
sell the old to buy the new?

There is OLED and there is LED or QLED

QLED LED is a Samsung marketing term for their LED technology, originally developed by Sony about a decade ago. (maybe 8 years ago)
More or less QLED is a Trademark used by Samsung and is a "twist" on standard LEDs but they make it sound more special and when they trademarked that "QLED" sales took off for the moon with Samsung. More or less Samsung on other brands better LED sets use this technology but may not be able to use the "Trademark" QLED, Samsung owns those specific words. QLED is a marketing term.
When it comes to QLED/LED the HDR standard is what sets TVs apart (local dimming)

OLED is in a class by itself

Samsung displays are good as are a lot of others.
Mid to higher priced Sonys are great, good reviews, I think even Consumer Reports, for no other reason than I have one, the middle to higher end Sonys are great.
LED/QLED or OLED each has its place depending on where and how the set will be used. But price does buy higher quality displays if that matters to someone, the typical non discriminating consumer may not know the difference if its not pointed out to them and they may not care if it is.

(I posted this as accurately as I think and remember *LOL* its been a while and said enough)
One more =
Sony and Samsung are 2 of the best. Sony slightly more expensive. Buyers should go to the local Best Buy and compare the models, features, and prices. The longer you can wait to buy: the cheaper it will be.

Back