New Samsung TV bites the dust.

About a month ago I bought a 55" Samsung CU7000 from Best Buy. It had a great picture and sound but last night it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. Red power light on TV is flashing. Contacted Samsung and their steps didn't fix it so waiting on call from repair place to have them look at it.

This is the first time I can remember a TV I have owned failing so quickly.

Very disappointed!

I ask the best buy employee was the price difference worth it between a Sony and lg/Samsung. he told me every person that is buying a tv that had a sony, they had it ten years and they're looking to upgrade. I told them load it up. buy once cry once.

Regardless of brand I always get the extended warranty because they are disposable so the least, I can do is protect some of that cost.

As least my Westinghouse 55 inch lasted a year lol ... I put a new board in though and it's going 5+ years later. I hate that TV don't know why I fixed it. So maybe it was a blessing is disguise.

I know lots of people that have had Sonys that failed and I know a lot of people that have had Samsungs last for years. I have 2 46" Samsung 1080P LCDs from 2008 and 2009 that are still running great. I want to upgrade to 4K, but for some reason I hate replacing working equipment.

You can get a 55" for $350 or less now, so it would almost be money ahead for them to just tell you to go get a new TV and return the old one.

Regardless of brand I always get the extended warranty because they are disposable so the least, I can do is protect some of that cost.
Some places charge about 1/3 the cost of the TV or more so depending on the cost they might not be worth it on an item that is only a few hundred bucks now. A couple tanks of gas in my truck = new TV.

I know lots of people that have had Sonys that failed and I know a lot of people that have had Samsungs last for years. I have 2 46" Samsung 1080P LCDs from 2008 and 2009 that are still running great. I want to upgrade to 4K, but for some reason I hate replacing working equipment.

You can get a 55" for $350 or less now, so it would almost be money ahead for them to just tell you to go get a new TV and return the old one.
Same, Samsung plasma in bedroom still going strong after 10 years.

Yea i believe Sony usually gets high remarks for reliability
My wife and I are waiting for our 14 year old Sony kdl-46v5100 to die. Picture still looks great. It's 46" 120hz. I got it used from a friend who got it used. Unfortunately we won't have the same budget for it's replacement, so likely won't be a Sony again.

plenty of 55" options out there for cheap.
My wife and I are waiting for our 14 year old Sony kdl-46v5100 to die. Picture still looks great. It's 46" 120hz. I got it used from a friend who got it used. Unfortunately we won't have the same budget for it's replacement, so likely won't be a Sony again.
The good news is $500 bucks buys a ton of TV now.

85" samsung 8000 series was 760 at sams the other day.
55"s under $300 now all day long.

My 65 inch Samsung Plasma made it 12 years, with 8 years of daily evening use. It finally failed to turn on. There is a local repair guy who will repair your TV for half the price of a new one. ( even if what he finds costs $10 to fix). This is not advertised but talking with a few folks, it’s how he operates.
I took a chance and he fixed it. Yep, half the price of a new one. A friend was telling me it’s usually the capacitors that need replacing.

Sometimes you just get a bad one. "One" could be anything, tire, TV, spray paint, light bulb, apple, 2x4, and on. Then you post it on BITOG and start an everything has gone to :poop: rant!

In 2010 daughter was working for Sony in San Diego and got us a 40" TV. Amazing picture quality. In 2020 I bought a couple year old 72" Sharp Aquos TV from a friend who was downsizing and gave the Sony to our next door widow friend who had a crappy 32" Samsung. She still thanks us for the Sony from time to time. Happy to give her some happiness but some day I'm going to regret giving it away.

By the way, I’m seeing that TV prices are generally going up now and decreasing manufacturing costs are being over ridden by inflationary costs.

Also, there are a lot of TV’s out there with weirdo names from who knows where.

Last edited:
By the way, I”m seeing that TV prices are generally going up now and decreasing manufacturing costs are being over ridden by inflationary costs.

Also, there are a lot of TV’s out there with weirdo names from who knows where.
The funny thing is there are only actually 3 screen manufacturers in the world. So buying one of the off brands may get you an LG screen that just didn't pass the QC check 100%.

I ask the best buy employee was the price difference worth it between a Sony and lg/Samsung. he told me every person that is buying a tv that had a sony, they had it ten years and they're looking to upgrade. I told them load it up. buy once cry once.
We have a Sony XR900 and thrilled with it. At the time $1,500 or $1,600 for a 65 inch TV was what we would consider midrange to above average midrange as at a time we could buy a TV for half the price and even less for the same size screen.

I think maybe not so much the brand than the price. We chose the Sony because we knew at the price it would be one of the better built models, had glowing test reviews as well. I think Samsung and LG in that range would have been fine too, as once you get to the mid tier and higher these sets are produced by those three companies.

The cheaper sets of the same manufacturers in the lower price ranges are mostly produced by contractors. I cant say for sure all of them but it's pretty well known that many do subcontract building the less expensive sets. So all I am saying is, in Sonys case and I believe firmly Samsung and LG if one goes for the mid to higher their price range, quality will be on par as those sets are produced by the companies themselves. I do feel a certain comfort zone though knowing that is true for Sony only because I researched it, forgot where it was made and its mounted on the wall now but believe 100% it wasnt China and I think it was Japan.

Its not always the manufacturers fault. Their are a lot of junk electronic chips, etc since COVID. QA is out the windows and they are shipping anything marginal.

Back