Buying a ROKU streaming device: beware of this

Finally got another ROKU EXPRRSS 4k

Noticed I had to buy a $2 power adapter since the new one doesn’t include it. Luckily Wal Mart had bunch of them “clearance” $2.00. Although I could have used my apple SE 2nd Gen phone square thing, decided to be safe. Just a heads up; although was told top of the line ROKU devices include power adapter? True or false?

Thank You folks.

Just bought another Ultra. It, and the other one I bought a year or so ago, both had power adaptors included.

The Express 4K that Amazon has lists the power cable and adaptor as being included in the box.

What's in the box​

• Roku Express 4K streaming player
  • Roku Voice Remote Pro
  • Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable
  • Power cable & adaptor
  • Adhesive strip

Electric dryers don't have cords. Real air compressors don't either. Strange that the ROKU didn't have one.

One would assume when you buy a device, powering it should not be a problem and should be included. It's like buying a flat panel but a power cord is not included.

The woman supervisor/berybuelpful lady said also “isn’t this nice; ROKU shows it in user guide and there’s slot for power adapter but no power adapter!”

I said “darn supply chain shortage issues 🤣🤣🤣.

Oh well, should have expected that for a $39~ device.

The woman supervisor/berybuelpful lady said also “isn’t this nice; ROKU shows it in user guide and there’s slot for power adapter but no power adapter!”

Think I would shoot Roku a phone call or email, Adam-I bet they would send you one. Probably without threatening to return it for a Fire Stick or other streaming device!

I heard a similiar thing with phone chargers I think . Companies are figuring the average person has several extra on hand . So no need to include them and charge the customer . Who Knows ?

Is the express considered a top of the line roku? isnt that the ultra?

A quick google shows this:
Does Roku Express come with power adapter?

Please know that each Roku player will have different power requirements. The power adapter was removed from the 2022 Roku Express because the player is low power enough to be powered by nearly any TV via the TV's USB port. Removing the power adapter also helps reduce clutter and hanging cords.

Finally got another ROKU EXPRRSS 4k

Noticed I had to buy a $2 power adapter since the new one doesn’t include it. Luckily Wal Mart had bunch of them “clearance” $2.00. Although I could have used my apple SE 2nd Gen phone square thing, decided to be safe. Just a heads up; although was told top of the line ROKU devices include power adapter? True or false?

Thank You folks.
53' Stude, are you giving Roku another try? I recall you said it messed up the audio on your SONY Bravia TV.
SONY "bravia" tv and amazon fire stick. ROKU destroyed my sound on my tv. Only 2 year old roku too
I'd highly suggest that you upgrade from the the Roku Express 4K to the larger Roku Ultra 4K unit. The Ultra has the faster quad processor, voice remote, A/C adapter and wired and wireless capabilities. Maybe your previous audio issues were due to powering it with the USB line instead of using a A/C wall adapter.

FYI, WalMart and Amazon discounted the Roku Ultra 4K unit to $49 during the Black Friday sales in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Last edited:
53' Stude, are you giving Roku another try? I recall you said it messed up the audio on your SONY Bravia TV.

I'd highly suggest that you upgrade from the the Roku Express 4K to the larger Roku Ultra 4K unit. The Ultra has the faster quad processor, voice remote, A/C adapter and wired and wireless capabilities. Maybe your previous audio issues were due to powering it with the USB line instead of using a A/C wall adapter.

FYI, WalMart and Amazon discounted the Roku Ultra 4K unit to $49 during the Black Friday sales in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

Well, I heard that ROKU was hacked; can’t confirm or deny. New one is working flawlessly. Honestly I don’t think I need top of the line one. Thank Younfor your honest advice sir.

Not a supply chain problem, someone returned it and didn't include the power adapter. Wal-Mart just put it back on the shelf.

This! You don't need a power brick. It includes the USB cable and any newish TV with have a USB port.
You need to be careful that the port can supply enough current. If it is a newer TV you are probably OK, but some cheaper models don't supply enough current to run them properly. Also it is usually switched with the TV, so it will not boot until the TV is turned on. This may or may not be a problem.

Back