New Big Screen TV Operation ?

Is it better to leave the newer LCD / LED flat screen TV's running all day, or turn them on and off as needed? I'm not concerned about saving money on electricity, but rather what's best for the longevity of the unit.

I have heard it both ways. For me there are several times I'll watch a program or the news early, then be busy doing other things for several hours before I return to view it again.

I have heard people say hours are hours, and they'll only last for so many before they quit. Then I have heard others say turning them off and on is far worse for their lifespan.

I don't claim to know much about electronics, so what say those who do?

Is it better to leave the newer LCD / LED flat screen TV's running all day, or turn them on and off as needed? I'm not concerned about saving money on electricity, but rather what's best for the longevity of the unit.

I have heard it both ways. For me there are several times I'll watch a program or the news early, then be busy doing other things for several hours before I return to view it again.

I have heard people say hours are hours, and they'll only last for so many before they quit. Then I have heard others say turning them off and on is far worse for their lifespan.

I think that's from the tube type tvs way back. I turn mine off.

LCD's are also not immune to screen burning. If you leave it on a news channel for 24 hours a day and that channel has a crawl on it constantly, eventually it is going to show up as a ghost image on the screen.

Just turn it off when you aren't using it. Most consumer grade TVs will die based on hours used not time.

Turn it off. We had a small fire at our workplace from a 65” Samsung or LG used as conference room screen.

Back