Are you using a 4k TV yet?

I have not stepped up yet to 4K. The prices are reasonable for quite large TV's. The picture quality is awesome I know.

So have you gone to 4k? What brand and size do you have?

Reactions: JC1
I have a 65" 4K LG and a 55" 4K Sony XBR-55X900F.
The LG picture is not as good but the TV has a built in subwoofer and needs no sound bar unlike the Sony.

I think 4K is overrated. What you want is a TV that does a better job upscaling content. Like ABC and Fox's 720P signal. They chose 720P.
Some TV's do a better job at upscaling than others. Higher end Sony's do a better job than lower end Sony's.

But when I tried to be amazed with 4K content at first I conculded it's not a big deal.

If you really want to research TV's go to Rtings.com.

Also, a high end Sony LED does you no good if you watch it offset from afar if it doesn't have a IPS panel. IPS panels from LG are better in that viewing scenario. OLED is better yet.

Reactions: JC1
4k looks great when they are playing a 4k blu ray at bestbuy.
In your house the very limited 4k streaming/broadcast content is meh.

planet earth 4k blu ray does look amazing.

Reactions: Pew
4k looks great when they are playing a 4k blu ray at bestbuy.
In your house the very limited 4k streaming/broadcast content is meh.

planet earth 4k blu ray does look amazing.
Agreed. Having a 4K TV without 4K content is like having a muscle car with a speed limiter.

I have had a 55" LG OLED for a couple of months.
Picture is impressive, even just on normal streaming.
IMO, 4K isn't mainstream enough to be a factor.

Reactions: FZ1
Once I found more ways to consume 4K content I went all out and got a LG C9 65" OLED TV. Broadcast TV is still one of the primary uses for this TV but PC gaming and HDR content is what makes this TV shine. Gaming performance on par to a gaming monitor and shows with dark scenes look stunning.

I have not stepped up yet to 4K. The prices are reasonable for quite large TV's. The picture quality is awesome I know.

So have you gone to 4k? What brand and size do you have?
We got a 50” Visio Smart TV in 2015 for $500

Sadly the smart functions were outdated the day we bought it, but a Roku fixes that.

Even though a 68” 4K is now the same price it’s really not enough of an upgrade to justify tossing a good working set.

That and new sets lack a center stand and don’t fit the spot I would place it.

Its compressed from a bandwidth standpoint - but the resolution is still 4K. (4096x2160)

3840 × 2160 is the dominant 4K standard

The standards used by filmmakers and broadcasters is extraordinarily rare in the home. Similar to super wide format TVs (most all super wide are marketed as gamer screens)

Last edited:
75" Sony, watch OTA, got rid of DIRECTV and it's a whole lot better HD picture, internet is my program source and still better than DTV. ;)

77 inch OLED TV.

There is no question the picture can be impressive. However, I've been watching the latest Game of Thrones stuff in 1080p and it looks as clear to me as anything else. In fact, I'm not at all sure I can tell any difference between very high quality 1080p and 4K movies at my 15 foot viewing distance.

I can and do stream both.

VHS or old broadcast TV to DVD (480p) was a nice upgrade.

480P to 1080P was another nice upgrade.

1080P to 4K to my eyes wasn't as much of an upgrade.

Sometimes, my Google TV with Chromecast reverts itself back to 1080p from 4K. I hardly notice when it does this, and only notice when I'm scrolling through the settings and notice it has reverted itself to 1080P.

I've had a 65" TCL 4K for almost two years, and while it's a nice TV for the money, I wouldn't run out and replace a perfectly working 1080P TV just to upgrade to 4K.

77 inch OLED TV.

There is no question the picture can be impressive. However, I've been watching the latest Game of Thrones stuff in 1080p and it looks as clear to me as anything else. In fact, I'm not at all sure I can tell any difference between very high quality 1080p and 4K movies at my 15 foot viewing distance.

I can and do stream both.
That's because you have an OLED. Even 720p looks good on them. I have a 65" C1 OLED and all my tv is from streaming. I have 30mbps internet and can watch 4k or HDR. Prime is putting out more 4k and Apple TV has most everything in 4k and Dolby Atmos. Pic and sound are incredible. I played the same shows on my GF's LG LED 4k tv and you just couldn't tell it was 4k. I don't pay extra for Youtube tv 4k because the regular stream looks great. Since I'm retired, I probably spend more time in front of tv than many of you who are working and have many other things that you need to spend your money on.

Back