Are we allowed to talk about "The Balloon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I got is why not shoot it down over Montana? I don’t buy because people on the ground might get hurt. No one lives in eastern Montana.
Might want to examine it intact

A few citizens in China have gotten lifted by weather balloons apparently (as dumb as that sounds)

Supposedly this thing came over the Canadian border, apparently the Mounties didn’t notice it.

China could be testing our reaction to it. Maybe the military is down playing it for good reason. Maybe the ballon has capabilities we don’t know of. We tend to think no one could be technologically superior than we are. Maybe it’s already been shot down and being studied for all we know

Now there is a second balloon reported over Canada.

Imagine how the world would vilify the US if we sent "weather balloons" over Russia and China. America would automatically be assumed to be spying, but there are those who actually believe China's weather balloon story.

Once thing is for certain, both Russia and China would shoot them down and most of the world would applaud their actions.

Scott

Lets be realistic, we know exactly what China is doing. I can only assume the reason we have not shot it down is we are fully prepared and properly hiding what we dont want them to know. Shooting it down now would mean nothing but to save face with the American people. Tons of data would have been transmitted by now.
Only ignorance would accept any other explanation for a major piece of Chinese equipment to be hovering over one of three known major nuclear missile silo fields in the United States of America.
Come on already, this is not rocket science. ;) (no pun intended)

"The Air Force at Malmstrom maintains 150 intercontinental ballistic missile silos across its 13,800-square-mile complex in central Montana, according to the Pentagon"

Shoot it down. Doesn't matter what value it has or doesn't have to the Chinese. If it accidentally floated away from China, across the Pacific, towards US land, the Chinese would contact the US, apologize, and say "you can do what you have to do". They really can't believe it would "sneak" across though....
So, they can by default shoot down all our stuff over their land also? All our spy satellites, balloons, GPS satellites, etc?

Imagine how the world would vilify the US if we sent "weather balloons" over Russia and China. America would automatically be assumed to be spying, but there are those who actually believe China's weather balloon story.

Once thing is for certain, both Russia and China would shoot them down and most of the world would applaud their actions.

Scott
Exactly.

Shoot the thing down, now!

So, they can by default shoot down all our stuff over their land also? All our spy satellites, balloons, GPS satellites, etc?
Uhhh, yeah. What would they do if a military jet flew in their airspace ? No different than these balloons. What would the US do to a Chinese military jet flying over the continental US ? Granted, I think they'd take every measure to avoid shooting it down but when the US jets intercept it, "shoot it down" will be one of the possible outcomes.

Satellites are in outer space so even the Chinese acknowledge they shouldn't do anything to those. They've shown that they can though and that was alarming and concerning to our military, etc (as well as our allies).

The baloon in in our airspace. It is not checking the weather.
If the satellites had the same capabilities as the baloon, why did they send it?
I am not saying I know the answers, but they have invaded our airspace. That much we can say.

We are watching China too just for the record. If we shot this baloon down then China would shoot us down. That is not in our interest. They also mentioned it's fairly high up in "Intercontinental airspace". Essentially they have a "Right" to be there based on international law norms.

Someone mentioned to me that it has ground penetrating radar.

Sorry folks, these kinds of things are not benign. Regardless of the type of data returned, AI can use it to develop an accurate model.

They also mentioned it's fairly high up in "Intercontinental airspace". Essentially they have a "Right" to be there based on international law norms.
I think I saw a mention of 86,000' ? I don't know where the cut-off between national airspace (where commercial flights can fly over, with permission) and "intercontinental" airspace is though. The USSR shot down our spy plane flying over their airspace and the U2 can fly "above" 70k feet (real max altitude is probably classified). We didn't retaliate there because I think even the US would admit we were kinda in the wrong.

I think I saw a mention of 86,000' ? I don't know where the cut-off between national airspace (where commercial flights can fly over, with permission) and "intercontinental" airspace is though. The USSR shot down our spy plane flying over their airspace and the U2 can fly "above" 70k feet (real max altitude is probably classified). We didn't retaliate there because I think even the US would admit we were kinda in the wrong.
I'm not sure where the cutoff is either. 🤷‍♂️

The baloon in in our airspace. It is not checking the weather.
If the satellites had the same capabilities as the baloon, why did they send it?
I am not saying I know the answers, but they have invaded our airspace. That much we can say.
As I understand it, the balloon is flying higher than commercial air traffic; well above 35k feet.
I'm not defending what they are doing.
But I'm cautioning against starting a war, especially when we do fly over them (the old U2 planes, and probalby stuff we don't even know about officially even today). We have our satellites and they do also. We have human intel spies and they do too.

This is a game of brinksmanship, not bull-in-the-china-shop tactics (pun intended).

Someone mentioned to me that it has ground penetrating radar.

Sorry folks, these kinds of things are not benign. Regardless of the type of data returned, AI can use it to develop an accurate model.
Ur probably right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back