Are we allowed to talk about "The Balloon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it has some solar panels to supply power for the payload. Could also be some of the electronics payload and/or antennas.

Capture+_2023-02-03-02-33-35-1.jpg

Part of me agrees and wants to see it shot down. The other part of me fears the consequences of shooting it down if it did come from the other side of the globe where it is suspected to be from. It could be viewed as an escalation and I don't have faith that we are ready to deal with that. Avoiding "stirring the pot" right now would be a wise decision IMO.

The Pentagon is working to mount an .177 Daisy on a top secret plane to give it just a sloooow leak …
If that fails - plan B is to put a roofing company trailer in orbit 😷

Part of me agrees and wants to see it shot down. The other part of me fears the consequences of shooting it down if it did come from the other side of the globe where it is suspected to be from. It could be viewed as an escalation and I don't have faith that we are ready to deal with that. Avoiding "stirring the pot" right now would be a wise decision IMO.
Would you feel the same way if your pervy neighbor had a drone hovering outside your windows at night watching your wife or daughter getting ready for bed? I think not! As far as I'm concerned, if someone launches a spy balloon that's going to float over the US, then they are the ones who have escalated the situation. What if it is not just a "spy" devise but rather has nuclear payload? That thing has to come down as soon as it is safe to do so. Plus, if it has a propulsion system, don't we need to know what type and grade of lubricants are being utilized?

No info as to altitude except as 'well about commercial traffic'. I'd think a USAF fighter could push some 20mm TP holes to slowly bring it down for analysis.

First of all, it's nice to be able to discuss this without politics, so far, so good ...

Here's my take on this:
- the balloon is most likely from China per the Pentagon; enough said about that
- it has no real "spy" value over a satellite, of which they have plenty already (it does not enhance what they can otherwise already do)
- it is below satellite orbits but above commercial air traffic altitude, so no immediate risk there
- it's value may simply lay in being an irritant; it's there to annoy us, on purpose

IMO, the best thing we can do is .... nothing. Don't let them think they can influence our lives in this manner. Simply ignore it for now. Sure - we should track it. Maybe we can see if we can decode the encryption it's surely using to communicate. But, at this point, it's harming nothing in reality. So rather than letting them provoke us, we sit back and be calm. That may just irritate them!

The interesting topic would be this:
if it appears to be a risk of crashing over a sensitive or heavily populated area, that could be a problem. So shooting it down would be OK, if and only if, it becomes a safety risk at some point. Other than that, I say we not let them get our goat, so to speak. I cannot imagine that there's any technology in it that would give us any insight as to any spy capability we don't already know about, so other than a safety risk, it's generally benign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back