Are there filter size standards? (And for filter wrenches.)

Hi all - - I don't have any experience with changing my own oil and buying filters, and I'm bumping into some issues. Are there any filter size standards? I figured there would be, e.g. "Yeah, I need a 2B filter and my buddy needs a 3C..."

If I go to AutoZone's website, they don't even provide any size info on their oil filter product pages. Example: https://www.autozone.com/filters-an...igh-performance-oil-filter-hp-2007/161010_0_0

Is it all just based on databases that match each vehicle to a filter? There's no way to describe or search for filters other than by vehicle?

Second question: How do you know that a given filter wrench will fit your filter? It looks like they specify different size ranges, and they often have only a handful of discrete diameter settings, not a continuous range. If vendors like AutoZone don't even disclose sizes, how do people match a wrench to a filter?

In some cases they don't even give a size for the wrenches, which is extremely confusing. This one is a fixed-size cup that slips around a filter, and has a hole for a socket wrench. Since it's a fixed size, how does anyone know if it will fit without knowing what size it is? https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-g...rmance-tool-24mm-oil-filter-socket/524867_0_0

Thanks.

You're going to get more action in the Oil Filter Forum.

Welcome

You visit a filter website or the auto parts store website, input your make/model/year and get the correct filter for your vehicle. The filter measurements will be listed. You match that to available filter caps or get a filter strap, adjustable filter wrench or adjustable cap wrench.

There's about 4 or maybe 5 standard filter sizes (atleast diameter wise) if you don't know which one will fit find the appropriate Fram filter for your car and look up the model number on fram's website (it should be somewhere in the first 5 google results for the model number), and then you'll know which cap wrench you need based on the diameter given on Fram's website. Also you can go to wallyword the sell cap wrenches, grab the fitler that fits your car and see which one fits.

Welcome

You visit a filter website or the auto parts store website, input your make/model/year and get the correct filter for your vehicle. The filter measurements will be listed. You match that to available filter caps or get a filter strap, adjustable filter wrench or adjustable cap wrench.
The filter measurements aren't listed though. I mentioned that in the post, with a link.

you just keep buying different cars and oil filter wrenches until you have every single oil filter wrench in existence. then when you get a new car, you try every single oil filter wrench you have until you find the one that fits. which, of course, is the last one you try!

The filter measurements aren't listed though. I mentioned that in the post, with a link.
Go to Fram's website and look up the filter, the size should be the same for the same car, Fram lists the measurements, if you're using a K&N filter you don't need a cap wrench anyways, just tighten it as much as you can by hand then use the nut to wrench it off.

Thanks, I looked but missed the whole Filtration section for some reason. I thought the used oil analysis section was the last section. I wonder if I can move the thread.
Mods will probably move it. Lots of oil filter talk in that forum.

Is it all just based on databases that match each vehicle to a filter? There's no way to describe or search for filters other than by vehicle?
Yes, every filter maker has a vehicle look-up tool.

Second question: How do you know that a given filter wrench will fit your filter? It looks like they specify different size ranges, and they often have only a handful of discrete diameter settings, not a continuous range. If vendors like AutoZone don't even disclose sizes, how do people match a wrench to a filter?
Best way to match a filter end cap tool is to take the filter in and test fit them. Or get a universal type tool. Note that some universal oil filter tools are just for removing them and can cause damage to the can if used to install an oil filter.

Are there size standards ? Yeah, sorta.... Some automakers try and stick to a single size, Honda, for example. Otherwise, the filter is model-specific, sometimes varying with different engines in the same model. As almost everyone else has said, start with the year, make, model, and engine of your car to find out what filter it uses.

As far as filter wrenches, most filters are 1 of 5 different diameters. I say that based on the number of "cap" wrenches you'll find for filters. Otherwise, filter wrenches are adjustable. At my house, I have (2) cap wrenches - one of them fits three different cars while I needed the other to fit just one car.

What wrench you need/want depends on where your filter is located and how hard it is to get to.
I prefer the strap type. Once you decide on a filter, you can check filter sockets. These are often filter specific
as Fram, for example, puts that rough surface on there consumer filters and that may alter the wrench size.

My 2¢

They are on the filter brand's website... FRAM, WIX, Purolator, Mobil1, K&N etc. If you have the space to work I'd just buy an adjustable filter plier. It works great on many vehicles.

Screenshot_20210705-074619_Chrome.jpg

Actually, those relatively HUGE pliers DO NOT work on many filters because they won't fit in confined spaces.

It'll really be case-by-case. Eyeball first...ask a friend for input.

People ALWAYS said my filter (all but completely surrounded by the contours of the oil pan) required a cap style wrench or a $45 "hoop of steel".

It was all nonsense. I use my old metal strap wrench. It loosens in 15 degree swings. Nudge it 3 or 4 times and you can spin the filter off by hand.

Actually, those relatively HUGE pliers DO NOT work on many filters because they won't fit in confined spaces.

It'll really be case-by-case. Eyeball first...ask a friend for input.

People ALWAYS said my filter (all but completely surrounded by the contours of the oil pan) required a cap style wrench or a $45 "hoop of steel".

It was all nonsense. I use my old metal strap wrench. It loosens in 15 degree swings. Nudge it 3 or 4 times and you can spin the filter off by hand.
True … on a couple tough to remove filters … I doubled some emory cloth to gain grip on can …

Back