Are the More $ filters better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better paint, thicker canister, fancier media, better functioning ADBV, better efficiency, flow ratings...
Which one?
confused.gif

Or just because a particular filter feels havier than a competitor, has a flashier paint job, orange gaskets everywhere and costs 3 times as much them it must be of better quality?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Asthetics aside, how this perceived quality would benefit (protect) your engine?

Vad..a $3 plastic-poppet,cardboard ended,cellulose media 40 micron filter is NOT the same as a $10 6 micron,spring valved,metal-ended,synthetic media oil filter.If this would be the case then the by-pass crowd are wasting their money.There was a study where the Mobil 1 was pretty darn close to a by-pass ,in one circumstance,in keeping soluables down and in turn reduced wear metals significantly.A Mercedes isn't a KIA...sorry dude.

OP ''What are the benefits of say a Napa Gold Oil filter over a Motorcraft or Supertech. Is it worth the added price if I am running a 6 month 7k OCI on my jeep with M1 5w40?''

Greaser ''There has been many posts, by the owner of a oil change operation, who posted on this board, (with pictures) instances of a less expensive line of filter tearing media at low mileage intervals.Quality is quality..cheap junk is just that.Do a little reading on this forum and make up your own mind.I buy the best I can for my Jeeps because they are worth the couple dollars it takes for better quality. ''

m2200b '' 80% more wear related to more than 10 micron filters only has relevance for the filter buyer of the cheaper filters if that additional amount of wear leads to part failure before the end of
service life of the rest of the car. Otherwise they save $3 -$7 per OCI using cheap filters X the OCI in the car life- for 200,000 miles with 5k OCI there still is $120-280 in additional filter costs to go 10 micron. I haven't seen enough data to make me pay that yet. ''

If higher quality oil filters really were that important, Lubeowner should have gone broke replacing ruined engines.

Well you can drive around for months with a rip in your media and not know it...almost like a cancer.But once you find out it's usually too late.How many cheap filters does it take to ruin an engine?....I don't want to take a chance with my $30,000 vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
Vad..a $3 plastic-poppet,cardboard ended,cellulose media 40 micron filter is NOT the same as a $10 6 micron,spring valved,metal-ended,synthetic media oil filter.
A Mercedes isn't a KIA...sorry dude.

Would a filter made with triple-synthetic media with kevlar-lined ends, incapsulated into a carbon-fiber canister protect your engine any better than $4 Motorcraft?
That filter would be virtually undestructible, capable of withstanding a nearby low yield nuclear device detonation, but offer nothing extra in terms of protection of the engine.
But of course, it would scream quality, look and feel like nothing else on the market.
If that's what you're after, then I wouldn't argue with you.
Your car gets only the "best" stuff, dude.

Man I love this site...where else can you have a i$$ing contest over oil filters?For my own satisfaction (which is what life is all about for me)when cruising down the road knowing that I have a $12 6/22 beta ratio filter on my block instead of a 19/41 beta ratio filter is intoxicating to me
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
For my own satisfaction (which is what life is all about for me)when cruising down the road knowing that I have a $12 6/22 beta ratio filter on my block instead of a 19/41 beta ratio filter is intoxicating to me
fruit.gif

I have no problem with that.
Whatever makes you happy.
I'm not a cheap skate either.
I don't mind paying more for a better looking, feeling but similar in essence product.
Just not 3 times more.

How much of the cost of the product relates to their marketing and advertising budget?

It is possible to buy a less expensive filter that doesn't have those marketing costs built in.

Who sponsors Nascar, Drag racing, or any form of motor sport...along with Tv ad's, coupon programs, etc.. don't you think you are paying for it..
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
How much of the cost of the product relates to their marketing and advertising budget?

It is possible to buy a less expensive filter that doesn't have those marketing costs built in.

Who sponsors Nascar, Drag racing, or any form of motor sport...along with Tv ad's, coupon programs, etc.. don't you think you are paying for it..
wink.gif

I'm glad someone was finally able to echo the totality of my earlier post.

No one wants low quality filters.

But the better quality filters are NOT necessarily coronated by their price. There are some very capable filters out there for not a lot of money.

Vad, you should have quoted my second sentence.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
There are some very capable filters out there for not a lot of money.

Vad, you should have quoted my second sentence.

Sorry, I've overlooked that.
cheers.gif

Weasel...the lower the number the better...it's the micron size of particles being trapped at single/multiple passes.Flow is also an important decision to make when picking a filter.The higher priced filters trap smaller particles,more often,with better by-pass valves,anti-drain back valves,endcaps,thickness of metal can etc.But with this topic we are discussing how much is needed compared to actually being overkill in an application...

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:

wink.gif

Personally, I don't mind paying a little more to buy a product that sponsors a sport I love (NASCAR for instance). If it wasn't for their support, I probably wouldn't be glued to the HDTV on race day.
smile.gif

Weasel..Lets post a question to see for sure about beta numbers...from reading your website it seems your are correct.But from other websites the opposite was correct...I'll post and let some of the pros answer.

quote:

I would run the Motorcraft instead of the Gold or SuperTech. All UOA's I've seen (that I can recall at least) with particle counts put the Motorcraft at the top in terms of filtration.

There has been only ONE particle count done on a Motorcraft filter. There have been a total of maybe 6 or 7 particle counts posted on all of BITOG. I do not think any conclusions can be made that Motorcraft is better than Gold or even Supertech based on that data.

Yes, vad, it would offer more in terms of protection your engine because quality synthetic media FILTERS better than cellulose media, and tends to hold up better in longer OCIs and hotter oil temps. This means fewer insolubles in the oil, leading, at least in some degree, to less wear.

Not to mention a nearly indestructible canister would offer some degree of protection in and of itself, regardless of how unlikely it is that most of us will ever have an issue with canister leaks or ruptures. A soldier with a flakjacket on is better protected than one without one on, even if neither one ever gets shot at, right?

It isn't an issue of if you NEED a 6 micron filter to make a car last a "normal" service life, whatever "normal" is. It is about which filter offers better protection from the insolubles that car cause more wear. I don't think too many people will say that a 40 micron filter is as good as a 6 micron filter, assuming both have adequate efficiencies. Maybe the difference is between a Honda on a 40 micron filter that goes 200K and a Honda on a 6 micron that goes 250K--both have lived long lives and are at the end of their expected service lives, so the cheap filter got it there, but the better filter protected better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back