Are the More $ filters better

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the benefits of say a Napa Gold Oil filter over a Motorcraft or Supertech. Is it worth the added price if I am running a 6 month 7k OCI on my jeep with M1 5w40?

Supertech is an E-Core (much maligned in some posts here, but a decent filter) and Motorcraft is essentially a Purolator Plus with the ADBV at the threaded end instead of the dome end. The Napa Gold is a Wix manufactured filter that has better media than the standard Napa filters. IMO, running a 7k OCI, I would use the Gold. Or use the ST or Motorcraft, but change them out once during the OCI. From everything I've seen and read, the Gold should go the distance.

quote:

Originally posted by wn1998:
What are the benefits of say a Napa Gold Oil filter over a Motorcraft or Supertech.

None.
quote:

Originally posted by wn1998:
Is it worth the added price if I am running a 6 month 7k OCI on my jeep with M1 5w40?

No, it's not.
Save the money and instead get the best air filter you can find.

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Forgot Amsoil, Jeeps!

Agreed. If I was going that far on an OCI, I would consider Amsoil, but I was just speaking of the brands he mentioned. Of those 3, the Gold stands out as the best design and filtration media, IMO.

I would run the Motorcraft instead of the Gold or SuperTech. All UOA's I've seen (that I can recall at least) with particle counts put the Motorcraft at the top in terms of filtration.

Add in a low price and a threaded-end bypass valve and you've got yourself a bargain.

Well, the closer you get to PureOne (10 Micron), or Amsoil (5-7 microns), the better, right?

Ok, ok, so ST and WIX, etc, etc, are "good enough", or "adequate", for the money. But with all the studies showing the particles of 10-20 microns responsible for 80% of the wear over the life of a given motor, how does anyone reccmmend anything else?

Pablo, feel free to jump in, I only base that on my SD-36's for 10 OCI...

Is there such thing as a bad air filter? (OEM style replacement) As long as it's installed/sealed properly, on the same token, cost shouldn't matter with AF's then either.

Joel

There has been many posts, by the owner of a oil change operation, who posted on this board, (with pictures) instances of a less expensive line of filter tearing media at low mileage intervals.Quality is quality..cheap junk is just that.Do a little reading on this forum and make up your own mind.I buy the best I can for my Jeeps because they are worth the couple dollars it takes for better quality.

80% more wear related to more than 10 micron filters only has relevance for the filter buyer of the cheaper filters if that additional amount of wear leads to part failure before the end of
service life of the rest of the car. Otherwise they save $3 -$7 per OCI using cheap filters X the OCI in the car life- for 200,000 miles with 5k OCI there still is $120-280 in additional filter costs to go 10 micron. I haven't seen enough data to make me pay that yet.

I think the more correct statement is that the higher quality filters are better.

The price of that quality varies.

Warner filters may or may not be a problem. None of the DIY crowd here has seen the same thing with retail Champ or other cheaper filters. I have seen occasional problems reported here with almost every brand of filter. I have not seen much data, UOA's?, showing higher priced filters protect better.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
I think the more correct statement is that the higher quality filters are better.

In what respect?

Higher Quality
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back