Are oil filters designed for a particular weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a FAQ from radio mechanic Mark Salem elsewhere-- primarily to drive Rando up the wall.

Here's another quote where he seems to state that oil filters are designed for a manufacturer's weight recommendations:

" So in conclusion, if the car maker says use a 5/30 engine oil and the oil filter maker knows that, they will make the filter based on the properties of 5/30 oil. If you use a 10/40 in an engine where 5/30 is recommended, you will not get the protection you want and that heavier, peanut butter like oil will cause additional wear to your engine. 040399 "

http://www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-30.htm

I spent a little time looking through this guy's web page. The sad thing is that people probably take this guy seriously and do whatever he recommends. -Joe

I think he is the most knowledgeable of the radio based mechanics, although certainly not as entertaining as Click and Clack. I've never seen his TV show since it's only in the Phoenix market.

Well, the filter does have to be designed for the particular flow, and changing the oil viscosity will change the flow through the filter media.

Does one viscosity grade matter regarding the filter? Anybody know for sure?

Ken

The peanut butter oil phrase bugs me. I don't use peanut oil in my cars (yet), except in popcorn.

Look at it this way, a thicker oil means higher oil pressure, thinner oil means lower oil pressure. I would say that within the range 5W30 to about 10W40, the filtering capacities would be the same and balances out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back