Fram Extra Guard 95% efficiency > 20 microns at $3.50 a filter for PH7317 with Amazon Subscribe and Save.

I currently use:
$7.32: Fram Ultra filters @ 99%+ efficiency @ >20 microns with Amazon Subscribe and Save.
$26.44 for Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 5 quart jugs from Walmart.

I was thinking about reducing the cost of my oil changes by switching to:
$3.50 Fram Extra Guard filters @95% efficiency @> 20 microns with Amazon Subscribe and Save.
$21.44: Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 5 quart jugs.

It would save me about $8.82 per oil change with probably near identical engine protection.
I do about 11 oil changes a year on my 4 Honda Odysseys, so total savings would be about $100 a year,
which is obviously $500 over the next 5 years.

Is there any downside to making this switch in terms of engine protection or oil seal treatment that anyone can think of?

Also, switching from 4k to 5k OCI would save about 1/4 = 25%.
Would anyone see any issues with 5k OCI on these Honda J35 VCM I engines.

Last edited:
Not really. I'd actually spend an extra dollar and get quaker state euro instead and save a bit by extending it by another 2k miles since the approvals on euro rated oils can handle it compared to regular oils.

What is your OCI? I do 5K services and swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd time, depending. Saves money and gets better use out of each oil filter, IMO.
The MityVac makes services a snap.

What is your OCI? I do 5K services and swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd time, depending. Saves money and gets better use out of each oil filter, IMO.
The MityVac makes services a snap.
True but some people makes themselves feel uneasy about reusing a filter for another round. I take fram filters to up to 14k and have cut one open and it wasn't bad. Currently at 13k on a tough guard and I'll change soon.

I currently use:
$7.32: Fram Ultra filters @ 99%+ efficiency @ >20 microns with Amazon Subscribe and Save.
$26.44 for Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 5 quart jugs from Walmart.

$3.50 Fram Extra Guard filters @95% efficiency @> 20 microns with Amazon Subscribe and Save.

It would save me about $8.82 per oil change with probably near identical engine protection.
I do about 11 oil changes a year on my 4 Honda Odysseys, so total savings would be about $100 a year,

Is there any downside to making this switch in terms of engine protection or oil seal treatment that anyone can think of?
Bill7,
Great plan. The Extra Guards are rated at 10K miles life so if you're comfortable keeping it on for two oil changes you'll save even more.

I currently do 4k OCI, as I had a conversation with BITOG member TRAV years ago that said these J35 VCM engines are really tough on the oil as the front bank of 3 cylinders get really hot due to the VCM. I prefer to keep the VCM enabled for the added fuel economy.

Not really. I'd actually spend an extra dollar and get quaker state euro instead and save a bit by extending it by another 2k miles since the approvals on euro rated oils can handle it compared to regular oils.
Your referring to the Quaker State Euro 5W-40 ACEA A3/B4 for about $22 for a 5 quart jug on Amazon/Walmart, right?

I currently do 4k OCI, as I had a conversation with BITOG member TRAV years ago that said these J35 VCM engines are really tough on the oil as the front bank of 3 cylinders get really hot due to the VCM. I prefer to keep the VCM enabled for the added fuel economy.
I know of the vcm, That's why a euro oil with better deposit control and detergent pack that's needed for their extended oci capabilities is better than a regular oil. Also lets you go a bit longer.

I know of the vcm, That's why a euro oil with better deposit control and detergent pack that's needed for their extended oci capabilities is better than a regular oil. Also lets you go a bit longer.
Do you know if the Quaker State 5W-40 Euro comes in a full synthetic High Mileage flavor, so it would also treat the oil seals to prevent leaks?

Do you know if the Quaker State 5W-40 Euro comes in a full synthetic High Mileage flavor, so it would also treat the oil seals to prevent leaks?
it doesn't but i doubt it'll be an issue. I think that's part of the extended drain requirement anyway. If it's gonna spend more time in there it needs a bit more seal conditioning than normal.

I currently use:

Also, switching from 4k to 5k OCI would save about 1/4 = 25%.
Would anyone see any issues with 5k OCI on these Honda J35 VCM I engines.
You can get $20 back on two jugs of PP and save a little.

Look into the Bosch 3323, they were less than $4 each from Rockauto. Price may have gone up a bit last two years. All in my cache are US made, but I have heard there are some Mexico made ones on the shelves now. They have good filtration specs and the several I have cut open look well made.

On the OCI, I have an 06 Pilot (non-VCM J35) with 269k miles, that has lived almost all of its life being changed per the Maint Minder OCI timing. It is doing just fine. Also have a 2011 Ody with J35 with VCM disabled at 210k miles and it has been happy with the Maint Minder OCI interval.

Adding on my oil: both recieved typical shop grade synth blend oil for first 100k miles, then I have taken over oil changes with Mobil 1 High Mileage and now Mobil 1 Extended Life High Mileage.

Have you thought about just sticking with a "Conventional" oil? For the mileage change & filter + low cost savings could increase.

Back