Are New Vehicles Too Expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
I love it when people buy new....it allows me to swoop in and buy it slightly used 3-5 years later after the original owner absorbed the largest part of the depreciation.
thankyou2.gif

Doesn't happen with trucks.

Bought my 2005 Colorado crew cab 4x4 ten months after the original delivery date with 6,250 miles on it. Paid $20k cash. Drove it for 12 years.
Bought my 2016 Sierra crew cab RWD 19 months after the original delivery date with 18,500 miles on it. Paid $23,700 cash. I plan on driving that for 10 - 12 years.

Shopping around before the need for a newer vehicle becomes an emergency is the key. Look and be patient. You'll find a deal.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I was just explaining that while my situation is different it still creates a need and there are many folks in sales with these requirements so we can't say "No one needs a new car", It should be "many don't need a new car".

I'm not being a jerk, just explaining that some of us do truly have needs for new vehicles. Besides what would the used market have to drive if new vehicles were never purchased.
lol.gif

Also, many of the same people that chastise others for buying new, seem to forget that if very few people bought new, used vehicles prices would go though the roof. you need people buying brand new to keep the used car market prices reasonable.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I was just explaining that while my situation is different it still creates a need and there are many folks in sales with these requirements so we can't say "No one needs a new car", It should be "many don't need a new car".

I'm not being a jerk, just explaining that some of us do truly have needs for new vehicles. Besides what would the used market have to drive if new vehicles were never purchased.
lol.gif

Also, many of the same people that chastise others for buying new, seem to forget that if very few people bought new, used vehicles prices would go though the roof. you need people buying brand new to keep the used car market prices reasonable.

Yea-like members on BITOG that say leases are evil. If no one ever leased-there wouldn't be clean low miles lease returns on the used car lots!

Last edited:

lol.gif

Also, many of the same people that chastise others for buying new, seem to forget that if very few people bought new, used vehicles prices would go though the roof.

There's a difference between buying new, and buying something new that's too much for your budget. Lots of folks do the latter.

Stevie C sounds like he is in a similar situation to me, except he gets to choose what vehicle/truck he buys. Unfortunately my company keeps leasing the big Transits which force me to get everything done at the Ford dealer, which adds lots of time in rentals or just waiting for them to do minor stuff. At least I'm on the clock!
grin.gif

2 Jobs ago I drove a Dodge Caravan which the company owned and had to get everything serviced at the dealer aside from oil changes and wiper changes because it takes forever at Chrysler for these services.
(This is the van my dad now owns). It was brutal because they would keep it in the shop all day and then I would have to catch up on work the following day, all for minor fixes that should have not taken more than an hour to fix.

So I feel your pain bullwinkle and much prefer how it is now.

Last edited:
Why so many insist on making it their business how other spend their money? Who cares what others can or cannot afford? Market is the way it is. If some are upset because they cannot get their favorite truck or SUV cheap anymore, well suck it up. That's what happens when something becomes trendy. Or move on to something that is not trendy anymore, like sedans.

Easy for you to say. You live in Commifornia and drive three cars.
I need a truck for work, and I need a truck to play. Can't do any of that with a car, or else I'd have one.
Now that trucks have become the new, trendy vehicle for folks who just use them to get a gallon of milk on Saturday, people think they need to be like a Rolls Royce, which keeps driving the cost up.
Never in my life have I needed a heated steering wheel, or 360° cameras on any of my trucks. I'd rather see the makers ditch all that sissy [censored] and start making trucks tougher and more reliable for folks like me who actually use a truck like a truck.

Creative/agressive financing allows people to make purchases they cannot afford cash and from building wealth. Anyone can be wealthy, new vehicles are rarely part of that unless purchased cash.

The key for automakers is overprice as much as market tolerates but cover enough consumers. I think China will fill the gap for the low cost cars just like every other item we have out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kawie_guy
Why so many insist on making it their business how other spend their money? Who cares what others can or cannot afford? Market is the way it is. If some are upset because they cannot get their favorite truck or SUV cheap anymore, well suck it up. That's what happens when something becomes trendy. Or move on to something that is not trendy anymore, like sedans.

I need a truck for work, and I need a truck to play. Can't do any of that with a car, or else I'd have one.
Now that trucks have become the new, trendy vehicle for folks who just use them to get a gallon of milk on Saturday, people think they need to be like a Rolls Royce, which keeps driving the cost up.
Never in my life have I needed a heated steering wheel, or 360° cameras on any of my trucks. I'd rather see the makers ditch all that sissy [censored] and start making trucks tougher and more reliable for folks like me who actually use a truck like a truck.

And back in 2008 through about 2010 trucks and SUVs were dirt cheap and cars got very expensive, especially the fuel savers. I sucked it up and kept driving my little Mazda 3 and when it was time to add another vehicle to the fleet, I turned to used market and picked from the less favorable brands and models.

When my family grew, instead of turning to SUVs, I bought a minivan and would do it again in this market.

If you need a truck for work, then as far as I'm aware, all trucks have contractor versions of them. For your play, well the choice is yours. The best thing is to keep what you currently have. When gas prices go up again, start looking at pickups.

There were at least five different trim packages available for the truck I currently own. From basic to loaded. If the loaded trucks didn't sell, they wouldn't build them.

I do think prices are a bit ridiculous, especially when you look at used prices vs new for pretty much any vehicle. Granted, it's a Chrysler, but new my 2016 was MSRP'd at a hair over 40k. I paid 23k in early 2018 for it. And it's a not fully loaded S trim level either.

Last edited:
Yes, cars are too expensive and crammed with too much stuff.

I do not need power seats, power windows, automatic with more than 4 speeds, prefer manual, nav system, touch screens, climate control, air ride, self steering headlights, trip computer, HUD, phone and so on. I do like but can live without self dimming mirrors, heated seats and steering wheel. I do want abs, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning without all those [censored] servo motors, rear window defogger and intermittent windshield wipers. I do not need DOHC, variable cam timing, direct injection, 300 horsepower 20 inch tires, 27 airbags or such [censored] Only problem is most people are buying something other than transportation, and there are not enough of me to go around. I would like for it to run for 300K miles or more

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Yes, cars are too expensive and crammed with too much stuff.

I do not need power seats, power windows, automatic with more than 4 speeds, prefer manual, nav system, touch screens, climate control, air ride, self steering headlights, trip computer, HUD, phone and so on. I do like but can live without self dimming mirrors, heated seats and steering wheel. I do want abs, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning without all those [censored] servo motors, rear window defogger and intermittent windshield wipers. I do not need DOHC, variable cam timing, direct injection, 300 horsepower 20 inch tires, 27 airbags or such [censored] Only problem is most people are buying something other than transportation, and there are not enough of me to go around. I would like for it to run for 300K miles or more

Rod

You could skip the ac if you buy a car with wing windows. .

Originally Posted by 02SE

There were at least five different trim packages available for the truck I currently own. From basic to loaded. If the loaded trucks didn't sell, they wouldn't build them.

Individuals prefer their truck fully optioned-since they are now the family car.

I don't get these "immature swipes" at California. While I'm glad I left-if you own a house in a half decent neighborhood-you are a millionaire-maybe people are jealous of that aspect.

Last edited:
Yes. I never see a new vehicle in our future unless it is maybe a cheap lease. How people can swing 400.00 + vehicle payments are unbelievable to me.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Yes. I never see a new vehicle in our future unless it is maybe a cheap lease. How people can swing 400.00 + vehicle payments are unbelievable to me.

$400/mo is a fairly low payment these days.

What I don't understand are the $800/mo + payments, especially for people in their late 20's/early 30's. Those are the ones that I have a hard time understanding.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by 02SE

Individuals prefer their truck fully optioned-since they are now the family car.

Exactly my point. Quit buying trucks as a family car. Buy a family car as a family car. Your insurance will be cheaper, and you'll spend a lot less on fuel too. Demand for trucks will also drop, making them more affordable for people who have to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back